• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Neknomination Game

Danza91

TS Member
So this is a new craze that's appeared on social media (Facebook mainly) where someone is nominated by a mate to film themselves necking a pint of whatever mix of alcohol and then nominate another person, thus the game continues.

What are you views on this? Harmless fun? Or just a stupid craze that will soon pass?

I'm with the latter.

It's a stupid craze. If anyone decides to nominate me, then they can do one, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to risk my life doing something this ridiculously stupid.

Downing a pint is something that has been done for decades. as long as they are of low blood /alcohol level, it should not be too harmful. It is the relationship the drinker has with alcohol that is the dangerous thing.

The one thing that worries me is the content of the mix. I have seen more and more weird stuff going into the mix. peanuts, bake beans, quartered cherry tomatoes. These are the worrying things, as they are choke hazards for downing liquid.

Adding lumps to the mix is just dangerous, and is a death waiting to happen.

Jonathan said:
It's a stupid craze. If anyone decides to nominate me, then they can do one, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to risk my life doing something this ridiculously stupid.

think-of-the-children.jpg

The TST Fun Führer award for 2014 goes to...

I saw someone necking a mixture out of a Wellington boot stood precariously close to the edge of a cliff on my timeline whilst dressed in a lizard onesie.

My reaction to it was the following -

• Thought it was hilarious.
  • Would welcome a nomination.
  • Stop being fun sponges.

I feel I ought to clarify what I said earlier. If people want to do this, then fine - it's their choice, and whilst I may not think that this game is a good idea, I respect the right to choose whether or not to participate.

Oh come on, it's only a bit of fun!

Yes some people have died but that's because they were stupid about it, there's nothing in the rules to say 'get as close to death as possible'. Most of the nominations I've seen have been people downing drinks with all manner of disgusting food items in them.

Many years ago, myself and a couple of mates at a house party raided our host's dad's extensive drinks collection, and made a pint of pretty much everything. We dared him to down it, which he did. 20 minutes later, he was clutching his face, screaming that he'd gone blind. Took him most of the evening to regain his sight. To this day, I'm not quite sure how that's even possible from one drink, unless some idiot spiked it with drain cleaner or something (as far as I know it was just booze).

This game is not going to make someone down a pint of pure whisky unless they were the sort of person who'd think this is a good idea anyway.

Young people do something to excess. One or two out of a few thousand do it so much to excess that they die. Pretty much describes any youth trend since the year dot.

I think it's a silly, but I'm not one who enjoys drinking games in any way, so it's not surprising it's not to my taste

some people will probably think i'm stupid for owning a motorbike, different strokes for different folks.

Seems an entirely pointless fad tbh... Don't have an issue with people doing dirty pints or daring others to drink things but I don't see the need to plaster it all over Facebook in some kind of attempt to 'look hard' or show off.

As scott says it seem pointless. If people want to do it for fun, they i wont complain about it, as long as they are not stupid about it. Drink a pint of high volume alcohol whist 4 sheet to the wind, or doing stupid things like jumping off a bridge into a river. is what is giving this game a bad name.

If you are going to do this game. please "drink responsibly"

Downing a pint of beer is not a problem, hell even I have done that. What I am against is the stupid mixes they are coming up with. Vodka, absinthe, port, whiskey and lagar. Now that is just a stupid mix, but it gets worse. I have seen people adding cat food, worms and maggots.

Now I don't really care if people I don't know do it, but recently a fair few friends have done it and it is concerning me just how stupid some people go, just to be part of a new "trend".

A few years ago my brother nearly died from downing and top shelf pint.

Hearing him say "don't worry mum, I'll keep fighting for you" whilst almost unconscious is something that will stay with me.

I'm not against this trend, nor am I trying to stop people's fun. Just remember you can take things too far, and it was peer pressure that got my brother into that situation.

This game doesn't bother me. If you nearly die from it then it's your own fault. Most of us have an idea of what our limits are. If you're told to mix 10 different spirits and you do it then more fool you.

It's not really a new game anyway. Dirty pint anyone? I'm sure the majority of those on here who have played drinking games will have come across these things before! It's just an old game used on an online social platform. It's quite strange really how something that has been around for decades gets branded as 'new' because it's now in video form.

James said:
This game doesn't bother me. If you nearly die from it then it's your own fault. Most of us have an idea of what our limits are. If you're told to mix 10 different spirits and you do it then more fool you.

What an incredibly naive way of thinking. Are you suggesting that certain people can't fall victim to peer pressure.

And do you really believe that because someone has a lapse in judgement or maybe doesn't quite have the aptitude to realise the result of their actions, that person deserves to almost die.

This is an exceptionally simplistic view of the world.

Naive to think that if you drink 10 different spirits due to peer pressure it's not your fault for nearing death? Not really. If you end up nearly dead from it then it IS your fault. You can't blame your friends when you fully well know what could happen from it.