• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Perfect Park

Charlee

TS Member
I've seen a lot of people criticising parks over maintainence/lack of themeing/ staff members.. So I want to know..

What exactly makes a perfect park?

Well for a start, if there's any sign of Merlin ownership, the park has no chance.

Disneyland California and Europa are the only two parks I've been to that I'd describe as perfect. They're quite different, but I think Europa is a better park due to quantity of attractions. Not to say what Disneyland have got isn't perfect, there's just less of it.

These are what I think a park needs to be perfect: excellent operations and throughputs, interesting history, a decent selection of coasters, a large number of attractions, quality dark rides, faultless theming, great shows, events throughout the year and decent food.

But all these things would not automatically make a perfect park. They also need a spark, something ineffable, what is often described as "the magic" in the context of Alton. Those shivers down your back when you hear the main theme of Europa Park Suite. Riding the Matterhorn and knowing you're on the same ride that Walt Disney rode in the 60s. Those little flames of geographical romance that bring a truly perfect park to life as a friend.

Personally I don't believe in "perfect" to me there are always things that can be done to improve a park to me that's what makes theme parks interesting

I have to agree with josht. There are the best theme parks but even they aren't perfect. And "perfect" is different from person to person. What is considered as being spectacular and amazing by one person could be average to another.

A park that gives a Damn about there customers and constantly strive to create a better experience even if it won't result in direct increase in profit. Europa is fantastic example of this.

the closest to the perfect park in the UK I would say Lightwater, but lack of funds prevent them from having a perfect theme park, but even if I haven't been, I can clearly see they give a Damn, even if they can't constantly strive to make the park better.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The reason that I like Alton so much is that I believe it has potential to be a Perfect* park, better even than the two examples already given. It has one of the most amazing setting's of any park and a deep history to go with it. More recently Alton has also managed to build one of the best Roller Coaster line-ups in Europe, possibly even the world.

* Like other's I don't believe there's such a thing as true perfection but I use the word to mean something so good the flaws are fairly insignificant or only an issue after many visits.

Unfortunately Alton’s potential seems to have inadvertently caused its downfall. In the 90’s (when being run reasonably well) it completely dominated over the other British parks and as a result became a very desirable investment opportunity. Investors such as DIC moved in and started demanding maximum profits. After a decade of this attitude the park has reached a state where the lack of care is really starting to show. But it still has that potential, the only issue is that the current investors know how profitable it can be and therefore won’t sell the park in case someone else ends up cracking the magic formula.