• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Retrosquad: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I’d be incredibly disappointed if they were replaced with nothing and we’re left with 3 dead spaces again to the extent I almost refuse to believe that Merlin would do such a thing at their flagship U.K. attraction.
Brace yourself to be incredibly disappointed. As much as this would be the worst case scenario, I'd say out of all the possibilities it has to be far and away the most likely.

Mixtape has been really struggling recently. Last Monday there were four arms out of use (yes, four, which equates to 8 seats), which has severely reduced the capacity and increased the wait times. It took me an hour to get on, even though the posted wait time was 0 mins and the queue line itself is actually quite short. It just moved really slowly.

I noticed that Roller Disco was down a bit today for the first time in a while. Think that and Flavio's have been the most reliable out of the four temporary flats.

Another issue is that the entrance and exit are on the same side, which prevents them from letting the next riders on until the last group have left as that area can get crowded. The baggage cages could be attached to the railings/fencing around the ride to facilitate the entrance and exit being on separate sides.

Flats like these should have a batching area to keep the queue moving. The next group of riders would be batched into it and would be let onto the platform once the previous riders have left. Then the next group of riders would batched into it once the previous group have boarded, and so on Octonaughts actually does this.

That probably wouldn't work for a really high capacity ride as the batching area would have to be quite big (and a high capacity ride wouldn't really need a batching area), but for a low capacity (and slow-loading) ride like Mixtape that would help massively. It helps on Octonaughts which only has one train.

Last edited:
Funk’n’Fly, Mixtape and Roller Disco have already been removed from the app - they still show on the app but the ability to view them has gone. I checked as I thought they’d be removed just didn’t realise it’d be this quickly!

Funk’n’Fly, Mixtape and Roller Disco have already been removed from the app - they still show on the app but the ability to view them has gone. I checked as I thought they’d be removed just didn’t realise it’d be this quickly!
Wow so they have! That happened quicker than expected!

FnF was being packed up when we walked past at 10.15 tonight but when Dan shouted "thanks for the memories" they replied "see you next year"

It seems there may still be hope for at least some of the temporary rides to return next season!

Personally, I think that's it for the retro-squad. It's been nice having them. I think Flavio's will stay for now as Walliams world needs the extra ride but I think that's it for the rest of them.

Personally, I think that's it for the retro-squad. It's been nice having them. I think Flavio's will stay for now as Walliams world needs the extra ride but I think that's it for the rest of them.
If they are going then Towers need to put something on those plots. The GP are used to a ride being there now and will expect something to be next season.

If they are going then Towers need to put something on those plots. The GP are used to a ride being there now and will expect something to be next season.
Most will barely notice. I I imagine they can put other temporary things in some of the places. Wasn't there a show at one point temporarily in ripsaw's old spot? They could re-introduce that stunt show there.

Clutching at closed season straws already here, but if you watch the animation again (at 21 seconds), when the robot selects the 3 rides, there are 7 others to choose from. Maybe some of those others are what we'll see next year?

Clutching at closed season straws already here, but if you watch the animation again (at 21 seconds), when the robot selects the 3 rides, there are 7 others to choose from. Maybe some of those others are what we'll see next year?

I think it's probably just referencing what they are which is fairground rides. I doubt it's the case that we're getting new ones but I suppose realistically we won't know until closer to next season.

How is that different to the year after Submission closed and the year after Ripsaw closed?

I suppose you could argue they put something there in the case of the latter but it wouldn't have delighted anyone looking for Ripsaw.

I think if the park have nothing planned for a few rides in CBeebies then we might well see them come back in a different form.

Funk N Fly & Mixtape proved very popular, but roller disco on the other hand didn’t. It was too tame.

I can see a different set of the Retro Squad coming in for another year just while they finalise plans for 2023. It’s a cheap fix for another year and will do its job again. I think the park were wary of investment into 2022 because of what’s been happening with Covid etc.

The only downfall I suppose is, it’s probably going to
Be knowledge of showmen that rides have been to Alton this year and if they are approached by Alton they may put there prices up for rent, however this would be risky as could a showman really earn that amount if not more in a year than what Alton are offering on the table.

They won't care about guests expecting rides to be in those locations. They didn't care about guests when they removed the originals, or the other attractions and the food and beverage outlets so won't care if anyone notices these gone next season.

My money is on pretty much nothing happening. I'm not 100% sure but replacing them with nothing and marketing the hell out of anything they may potentially add is the most likely scenario. Perhaps we'll get a small, low cost "addition" to Walliams World or something and be expected to be greatful.

If they do decide they can't do this and go for the sticking plaster of just hiring in new fun fair flats then this is probably the second most likely scenario (although I don't think it'll happen). I'll look forward to riding Shoulder Pads, Miner's Strike and Electropop next season.

I can see it now. What used to be in the mothballed building to the left? I can’t remember ever seeing it open.

It was a Cafe.

dhk9UY4.jpg

It was a Cafe.

dhk9UY4.jpg
Just look at that picture. An open Cafe with a permanent flat stood next to it. Compare that to now.

These last few years Towers has started to feel like one of those abandoned amusement parks you see come up on your Google feed when an urban explorer sneaks in with a Go Pro. Only AT is still open for people to see the abandonment and dereliction for themselves.

Just look at that picture. An open Cafe with a permanent flat stood next to it. Compare that to now.

These last few years Towers has started to feel like one of those abandoned amusement parks you see come up on your Google feed when an urban explorer sneaks in with a Go Pro. Only AT is still open for people to see the abandonment and dereliction for themselves.
You’ve summed the state of the park up beautifully there my friend.

Back on topic, has there been any work yet on the removal of Mixtape or Roller Disco?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.