• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Ruins reopen

djtruefitt

TS Team
As reported tonight on TowersStreet news:

Today saw the opening of the historic grade 2 listed building that made Alton Towers Resort famous.

The towers ruins have been closed to guests since last August due them being the location of The Sanctuary and Terror of the Towers for the popular Scarefest event.

The ruins would normally reopen at the start of the season, however due to the appearance of The Sanctuary at the start of the 2013 season the opening of the ruins was delayed until recent days.

Alongside the ruins reopening, it also now means that Hex – The Legend of the Towers will now use it’s normal exit via the conservatory, instead of exiting around the back of Driving School. The temporary Scarefest exit spoils the ride for a number of guests as they walk past the large green building that the vault is housed in.

However, not all of the ruins are completely open as The Sanctuary seems to be still in place in the music room and poet’s bay, with the only visible signs of The Sanctuary being the door were Dr Kelman greeted his patients.

If the season plays out as usual, the ruins will close again sometime in August for Scarefest preparations.

Although the ruins opened today, it wasn’t as good news for Oblivion and The Smiler as both rides suffered significant downtime being closed for the majority of the day. It is not yet known if The Smiler or Oblivion will reopen tomorrow (14/06/2013)

BarryZola said:
They must have had a 'soft opening' as I was in there last week along with other guests ;)

You weren't meant to be in there as the ruins keeper hadn't opened them as they were a mess but a silly person on the Entertainments team didn't lock the door. :p

I'm very glad about the hex exit. (and the ruins as I'm sure that will frequented tomorrow now)

I always hated leaving through the back by driving school.

Although I've done both exits countless times, I can't fathom what different turning you take from the vault, would someone please explain for me?

Planning a trip soon and I've only recently realised that you can look around the Towers. Will definitely go and have a nosy after Hex! :D

The ruins were also fully accessible a couple of weeks ago too, with both entrances being open and guests wondering around unhindered. However, this was again another oversight it would seem, and shouldn't of been open. :eek:

smudge said:
I'm very glad about the hex exit. (and the ruins as I'm sure that will frequented tomorrow now)

Although I've done both exits countless times, I can't fathom what different turning you take from the vault, would someone please explain for me?
You leave the vault the same way for both exits, the only difference is when you get near the end of the corridor you leave left through a fire exit and then walk down the side of the towers and out next to the driving school. For the normal exit you carry on forwards (taking you under the towers) and then up some stairs into the conservatory.

djtruefitt said:
smudge said:

You leave the vault the same way for both exits, the only difference is when you get near the end of the corridor you leave left through a fire exit and then walk down the side of the towers and out next to the driving school. For the normal exit you carry on forwards (taking you under the towers) and then up some stairs into the conservatory.
Thanks mike.

Nobody wandering about in the towers at all today (hardly). The entrance seems to be blocked, in the main, by the exit sign to hex (in the conservatory)

Had a great explore today and some great views are to be had. Quite amazing also thinking how its transformed for scarefest.

There was lots of people walking around a few days ago. Didn't realise how popular they are tbh.

I think some better signage/information would help them get some more visitors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Had a quick wonder through today,there was a few others doing the same. It was really good to do again

Years ago the towers used to have proper information signs and a proper signed entrance (where you entered TOTT last year), but now there is nothing. I don't know why they don't have some information signs in each of the rooms telling you what used to be there with some photos of how it looked before. All the information is out there for them to use!

I'm surprised English Heritage don't suggest it or do it themselves.