• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Smiler accident culpability

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

DistortAMG

TS Member
Favourite Ride
POTC Disneyland Paris
Hello, I am a long time browser, first time poster. I used to go under the name doopy dan on TTF. Way back in the day. Thought I would get peoples opinion's on this. Apologies if this did not warrant it's own topic.

I was interested into people's opinion's of who is to blame for The Smilers crash last year. I come from a computer programming background and have experience in dealing with programmable logic controllers (PLC's). The industrial spec computer systems that operate all sorts of automated equipment, from UPS's (logistics) and Amazon's automated warehouse's, alongside and more relevantly, rollercoasters like The Smiler.

I personally believe that while Alton Towers should take some of the blame, but a good portion of the blame lies with Gerstlauer. It is hard to draw a solid conclusion without all the facts, but, from what we have been told and know factually, in my opinion, it gives a strong argument.

As we know the coaster crashed because staff overrode the (correctly working) safety systems and allowed a train to proceed into the next unclear block of track. I do not think that the system that allowed the staff to override the safety system should have been as easily accessible as it was. Even if it was, the system should have still thrown some red flags even after a reset, that alerted the operator that the next block was not clear.

B&M and Intamin have never had an accident specifically like this on any of their rollercoasters to my knowledge. While it is impossible to say if any of their coasters have or have not specifically been placed in the same scenario that The Smiler was in, I would say it was likely given the amount of hours collectively their coasters have built up in operation. Your average Joe is operating rides like this all over the planet.

A more robust software system would not have allowed this to happen in my oppinion. Consign AG, the main electrical contractor to B&M, who installed the electrical, control and software systems for all of Alton's B&M's have never had an issue like this.

It would've been put into manual operating mode, not just reset... It's a necessity in certain situations (usually transferring trains on/off) and the culpability here was purely down to miscommunication in regards to the stuck train...

I assume that the operator and engineer were informed over a stuck train, however [wild speculation] they believed I was the train stuck on the lift hill rather than the valleyed train, so just thought that they would override the system and then the crash happened...

I think the blame rests entirely on Towers unfortunately... Shows how important correctly communicating problems is and will no doubt be the main focus on training from now on...

Towers have taken full responsibility for what happened and I think that says it all really. Not once has any blame ever been thrown the way of Gerstlauer and no other Gerstlauer closed to recieve any modifications (apart from Saw but that was because Merlin closed and made changes on all of their multi-car coasters).

This was discussed over and over again at the time so I don't think it does warrant it's own thread at the moment, least not until any new information comes to light. Please do use The Smiler Reopening thread for Smiler related discussion at the moment. Once court proceedings get underway there may be more of a need for a seperate thread. Feel free to read through the 239 pages of The Smiler Incident thread to see what else has been said on the matter! :p

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.