• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Wilsy

TS Founding Member
Construction has now reached a key point. In order to keep things neat and tidy we've split SW7 into this new topic. Old discussion can be found here.

Discuss away!

From TowersStreet News

Secret Weapon 7 Vertical Construction Begins

TowersStreet has today recieved information to suggest that Alton Towers have finally begun vertical construction for the 2013 SW7 roller coaster.

The ride, which is due to be located in the X-Sector area of the park, has appeared to have suffered from some construction delays over the past months with very slow progress than is usually seen, mostly owing to poor weather making it hard for progress to be made. This has led to some people questioning the completion date for the new coaster, and wether the attraction shall open in a completed state.

However, today it has emerged that supports are currently being put in place for the ride, marking the start of coaster construction. Track has been present at the park for some time now, but there has been very little activity around its placement.

Heavy rain caused the pit in the building site to fill with water, and pumps have been working flat out to try and minimise disruption. In spite of this effort work has been slow and progress seemingly small for the past few weeks when usually more would have been expected.

Now supports are going into place this hopefully marks the start of more ride related construction. Over the coming weeks it is hoped, usually weather permitting, that the construction teams can continue building the coaster and launch it on time for the main season opening.

Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

Finally! ;D Let's just hope they can crack on and build it in time for March 16th!

This is a huge relief actually some supports going into place might pop up Monday to see if there is more progress

Only about 5 weeks too late! Still, better late than never. Hopefully they can really push on now.

:)

So it will apparently take 6 weeks to put up, clocks ticking!

Quick reminder that posts need to add something to discussion (and ones that haven't will and have been deleted) and swearing with the aid of *'s is baaaaaad.

Thanski

Shame the whole country is getting winds pushed over from Siberia bringing with it bad snow, ice and freezing temperatures reaching possible lows of -15 next week. :eek:

I really really feel for the construction team on that site. They have spent months working in a mud swamp and now it looks like it's going to become a ski slope. Talk about a string of bad luck!

Prometheus said:
I really really feel for the construction team on that site. They have spent months working in a mud swamp and now it looks like it's going to become a ski slope. Talk about a string of bad luck!
At least they can just push track along the ice to save time! ;)

This is wonderful news!
Hopefully we'll see most of the track finished by the end of January, and if that happens, I very much doubt people would be complaining as much.

The theming would simply be placed on the site using a crane, as surely something as big as that spider can't be constructed in time on site!

Very pleased this is happening now.

As concerned as I am about next weeks forecast and how it's going to hamper building efforts, I'm pretty sure they'll have something in place to work around this. I hope. Won't they?

:-\

As regular readers of ATS will know, any crazy, hard to believe claim such as this, should be met with the standard response:

Pics or it didn't happen.

;)

DiogoJ42 said:
As regular readers of ATS will know, any crazy, hard to believe claim such as this, should be met with the standard response:

;)

It has happened and I'm sure TT will be in the air again soon so you will likely get your pics :)

Well as Dave's said it's going to take around 6 weeks to fully build the track apparently. That's assuming it goes smoothly, with no delays. We can probably count out a period in December for Christmas and New Year, so I reckon if the weather is kind the track would be complete by the first week in February...

However, the weather is getting more and more of a risk. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we arrive at Feb Half Term to find the track either isn't finished, or only just is.

Theming shouldn't be too hard, as usually larger parts are made off site by contractors, and then dropped in, much like we saw with Swarm. I'm guessing the spider will be coming in smaller sections, so I should think that could easily be up in under a week if all the parts arrive on time. The smaller bits would be easy too.

Once the track is complete in the pit and the station theming can then start to go into place there, and once the roof is on, the walls are on, and the basic utilities are in another team can get to work dealing with internal theming.

It's all ok saying when we see the track all finished it will be fine though, but we also have to consider all the systems going in, vehicles being prepared, wiring installed, and ultimately testing. That's probably going to take them a week or so. It's all time being eaten away that the park really don't have. If the ride isn't signed over to the ride teams at least 3 days before the ride opens Towers are in trouble.

Towers really are going to have to pull out all the stops on this one, and make sure it's all hands on deck. It's going to be very very very tight. All it's going to take is for the weather to halt progress for a few days or so and that could potentially be it for the project opening.

Here's hoping they can do it. Personally I'm not convinced, but we'll see.

Personally, I think it was a foolish move announcing the opening date so early on. Towers always seem to do this. They set a date when they want it ready for, publish it, and promote it, and then find down the line that there are problems and delays. Then they rush to have something done for opening. A prime example is Sub-Terra. Ignoring the fact that the first version was rubbish Towers techies were apparently working on the ride to around 3am the night before opening, trying to make sure it would work properly.

Parks on the continent seem to get the idea. They will usually just say the ride is coming in a certain month, sometimes even vaguer than that. Many will just say "Spring 2013". It's a good tactic to use. You set a rough period and get it out there. Then, when construction and development are well underway and things are looking good you put the date out there. Phantasialand are getting on well with Chiapas, but as far as I know there's still no set date been announced. That's the way to do it. It accounts for any issues which may be yet to surface. Only if things go horrifically wrong will there be problems with dates.

Towers would have been better just saying the ride opens in March (April if they are worried), and then release the final date along with the ride's name at some point next January-February time. At least by that point they'd have the worst of the weather out of the way, and be in a suitable position to make such statements.

At the same time I think the park needs to look at the other side of it. There's no shame in them saying they are pushing the ride back by two weeks or so if it means it's going to be that much better when it opens. I'd sooner they just hold their hands up and say they got it wrong and it'll be late, rather than open a mediocre attraction which will be slated and earn itself a poor reputation. It's hard to change the opinion and perception of the attraction once it's earnt a bad name. Bad news spreads faster than good.

So yeah, I remain tense about this whole thing :p

DiogoJ42 said:

Great minds think alike Diogo, this is just what I popped in to post... ;)

From the people who said "The concrete has washed away"...... I'll believe it when I see it.

Ian said:
Parks on the continent seem to get the idea. They will usually just say the ride is coming in a certain month, sometimes even vaguer than that. Many will just say "Spring 2013". It's a good tactic to use. You set a rough period and get it out there. Then, when construction and development are well underway and things are looking good you put the date out there.
It's not just parks on the continent, though - parks in the UK, and indeed within Merlin, do the same. Legoland have always been vague with their new attraction opening dates - for instance, Duplo Valley is set to open in 2013, nothing more specific. Doesn't mean that there isn't a specific date in mind, but by advertising 2013 they can't be wrong. Similarly Atlantis was always Summer 2011, and not 20th May 2011 publicly until around 2-3 weeks beforehand.

Chessington are similar, if not a bit more precise - Zufari is set to open in March 2013.

I really don't see a need to set an exact date so early on, pretty much for the reasons Ian's given.

I agree with Ian about it possibly being a mistake saying when the coaster was going to open so early on. If you take Verbolten for exmaple. All along they just said Spring 2012, whenever they were pushed on a firm opening date they just said they don't know, that it would be Spring, and that you'd have to go and speak to the marketing team. Then obviously Verbolten had some rather big issues late on in testing, but because there was no firm opening date set this did not mean they had to publicly push the ride opening back, even though it may well have opened later than initially planned. Soft openings also have a lot going for them.

Equinox said:
From the people who said "The concrete has washed away"...... I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't recall anyone here saying that had definitely happened, there was a few pictures after rain that looked like it had but the general discussion was that there was mud from rain water on-top of it.

People will just have to wait for pictures to find out :)

Dave said:
Equinox said:

Don't recall anyone here saying that had definitely happened

On page 97 of the previous Secret weapon 7 discussion this was stated;

James said:
I can guarantee that it has been washed away.

Continuing with the discussion though, I can't wait to see how the track looks and if it differs at all from the original plans :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.