• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Dave

TS Founding Member
Please continue all discussion based on The Smiler construction and ride speculation here.

:)

Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Good to see that despite the weather, construction seemed to be going full steam ahead today. 2 cranes as well! Image from The Alton Towers Guide:

63052_542873672410482_687983769_n.jpg

It's great to see that the work progressing, despite all the snow that we have recently had. I honestly can't wait to see the whole track up.

392862_462651877138595_1213416236_n.jpg

(Provided by TowersStreet Facebook page)

562356_462651830471933_801354667_n.jpg

(Provided by TowersStreet Facebook page)

Two images worth noting - the rest can be found here. They have now started to put up the supports after the first dive loop raising up into the second dive loop - these sections of track should be put up within the next day or two I would of thought. There is also another large crane on-site putting up walls for either the station or maintenance shed.

Nice to see them continuing on with construction.

Very impressive pics, thanks for sharing them.

Ash

Am I right in thinking they will have to complete all construction and clear heavy machinery out before testing can start? Asides from the track, there's still a fair bit that needs building; station, queue, "Marmaliser"... though signage and little touches etc. could be done while the ride is testing I guess.

I would say it's the electrical side of the ride that's the biggest task know. The station shouldn't be a problem and the queue line should take a few days, I heard thirteens queue took a day but don't know how true that is

I was very impressed with the amount of construction taking place today. It was very much business as usual with several different work teams on site. They put up a lot of supports in a very short space of time, followed by a piece of track.

All being well I will have a full and detailed photo update in a little while.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Great to hear Rob thanks.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

They are pushing hard for this as they know this ride cannot get delayed again. Electrical work for the station and even the ride controls can start going in now. They will have an idea of where power cables need to go as well as lighting, etc and all this can be done while this bad weather is here. As for testing, as soon as the track is up, I can seen them almost instantly doing clearance testing. Although actually, there is nothing stopping them for already doing that on the track sections that already are constructed, if they haven't already!

Right here we go, some snowy Smiler photos! ;D

WARNING, POST IS VERY PICTURE HEAVY!!

The site when I got there, just before they started to lift up a support:
P1150175_zps870c0725.jpg

P1150180_zps19bb2b17.jpg

The pink box you can see is the op cabin:
P1150183_zpsed50cdc9.jpg

It looks like the digging out for the vertical lift is now complete, and they have put in more concrete wall supports:
P1150186_zps7f4fc6d7.jpg

P1150187_zps8aec73c2.jpg

Baby support:
P1150213_zps430e0f17.jpg

Here you can see a row of 4 supports they put in, this is for the track between the two dive loops:
P1150214_zps5d9bec17.jpg

And the big support for the track going up leading into the dive loop. You can also work out where the dive loop will go in this photo before joining up with the Batwing:
P1150215_zps1f1e157c.jpg

P1150218_zps852b7209.jpg

Putting on the roof of the maintenance shed:
P1150219_zpsf64d2cc1.jpg

P1150221_zps84624797.jpg

P1150224_zps77141df5.jpg

Another look at the large support they put up:
P1150225_zps27091c01.jpg

And the supports closer to the ground:
P1150226_zps0bb66989.jpg

P1150228_zps4ebe5975.jpg

P1150230_zpsc87bf790.jpg

What is possibly a lift hill motor:
P1150231_zps4dde1705.jpg

A foundation for one of the legs of the Marmaliser:
P1150233_zpsbe5eef05.jpg

The piece of track they put in which is part of the track between the dive loops:
P1150249_zps70720f05.jpg

P1150251_zps5425536e.jpg

This wall is starting to take shape:
P1150252_zps3228c91f.jpg

Breeze block walls inside the building around the track prior to the first lift:
P1150253_zpsbbabc7fc.jpg

I hope you like!

As usual, all photos were taken from areas of the park fully accessible to the public. Please to not reproduce my photos without permission. TowersStreet may use them if they wish.

Thanks Rob, great update and found the narratives really helpful.

Wish they'd hurry up and gief that bloomin lift hill!

This last twist:
P1150218_zps852b7209.jpg

timthumb.php.png

Thanks Rob. This seems to look more and more insane with each update.

I do get really nervous about Gerstache when I see something like the below picture - where a support appears to be concreted in at a slight angle to the painted grey area which marks where cement should come up to:

P1150228_zps4ebe5975.jpg

Similarly the pictures that suggest that some supports (near the toilets) aren't actually concreted in yet but are currently just positioned in the holes worries me a bit. I really do feel that roughness/Gerstache could make or break the ride. If it's smooth it will be amazing I'm sure.

Thanks for the update rob, it's great to see them working on a day like today :)

Rupert said:
Thanks Rob. This seems to look more and more insane with each update.

I do get really nervous about Gerstache when I see something like the below picture - where a support appears to be concreted in at a slight angle to the painted grey area which marks where cement should come up to:

P1150228_zps4ebe5975.jpg

Similarly the pictures that suggest that some supports (near the toilets) aren't actually concreted in yet but are currently just positioned in the holes worries me a bit. I really do feel that roughness/Gerstache could make or break the ride. If it's smooth it will be amazing I'm sure.

That support has definitely not been concreted in. It seems like they're going to wait for all the supports to be in place, before fixing them in place. Having said that, there is a lot of track connections which look a bit off to my eyes.

Some of the clearances between the track and the supports looks so tight - head chopper central! Many thanks for the updates. :D

I wish I could post something more substantive.

This coaster looks absolutely bloody awesome.

Rob said:
Right here we go, some snowy Smiler photos! ;D

WARNING, POST IS VERY PICTURE HEAVY!!

Rob, you deftly explained what goes where, and I still don't understand. I think you should work in cartography ;D

The car will need a Sat Nav to get round this track. Good job they haven't concreted in those footers, there will come a point I'd imagine they will need a bit of wiggle room to ensure the final pieces fit together nicely.

Also - let me add, early on, I confess I downplayed the size of this project, well was not convinced it was all that big. On that account, I was clearly very, very wrong.

This is a monumental sized bit of construction and landscaping, in coaster terms.

I still don't think it matches Oblivion's, but it most certainly in the flesh, is far greater than it ever appeared - and is far from some compact little beast as it initially came across.

It is compact, whilst still being rather large - and this is one coaster I don't think anyone will mind cattle pen queuing around.

Full marks for getting the site cleared, and major construction done, in very difficult conditions. What has passed, has passed, and it is now excellent to have such progressive movement towards completion happening.

TheMan said:
Good job they haven't concreted in those footers, there will come a point I'd imagine they will need a bit of wiggle room to ensure the final pieces fit together nicely.

You are spot on there, that is exactly why they have not poured concrete into the footers. Just makes it easier when it comes to joining it all up, allows for some slight movement.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.