• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Space Topic

James

TS Founding Member
Since there seems to be a few of us that are interested in space stuff I decided to make a general topic since I've found something that doesn't really need a topic of its own. This topic can then be used in future if anyone wants to talk about or share all things all space!

Something I caught in the news, HD cameras have been installed on the ISS - this nifty site has the HD feed and also shows a map of where the ISS is!

Stream with map can be viewed here: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

Also, another camera on the ISS: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/47171401

From a mathematical perspective, absolutely. The odds of Earth being the only planet out of the billions/infinite number of planets capable of supporting life are so small as to be insignificant!

To be fair, if an alien race were to look at Earth, they wouldn't see a very pretty picture. Our history is littered with wars, destruction and fighting. I can't see any extra-terrestrial beings wanting to visit such a blood thirsty planet. :p

Saw something on Twinsterbook, saying that we either are alone in this universe or we're not. Both are equally scary.

Tom.B said:
Saw something on Twinsterbook, saying that we either are alone in this universe or we're not. Both are equally scary.

Great quote and very true!

Jem8472 said:
Yes there are aliens out there, have they visited us? I doubt it. Here is a good Neil degrass Tyson video about should we want to be visited by aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZyVZBtP70#t=462

Thanks mate I will take a look at that!!

I personally believe we have been, and are, given the sheer volume of senior officials across the world that have come out and said as much.

From total nuke shutdowns, to the Belgium chief of defense releasing pictures, and the French COMETA report, to dozens of American military chiefs breaking their silence, along with former UK's former UFO minister Nick Pope (yes, we had one) with evidence surrounding Rendlesham etc.

I'd say it's quite hard to look at all that in it's entirety and think something isn't going on.

Problem is, so much good evidence gets lost in amongst crazy conspiracy theories!!

Although there is a well known phrase to consider "Yesterdays conspiracy theory, todays news".

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen...

Wow great link! It's actually quite scary when you think about it. We are all so tiny and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

:)

There was a launch to the ISS today, the ship should dock tomorrow morning at about 10am

I watched that the other night when we were at some friends at a BBQ.

It was great to see, but some people just don't get it. How can you not be impressed with the fact that we have a human presence in space!

Reactions: Dar
I've been enjoying the ISS passes recently and saw a couple of meteors the other day from the Perseids - looking forward to watching the peak soon :D Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for a clear sky when it does :')

Just spent a good 45 minutes watching the sky and the peak of the Perseids hasn't disappointed, I've seen lots of meteors :blush: Really amazing to watch!

Apologies for the double posting, but would really recommend people to have a look if there's a clear sky, this is the best time to see the meteors :grin: