• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The universe

Jem8472 said:
So according to this article we could just be a holographic projection on the edge of space.... :eek:

There looks like there is a bit more to it than what is in this article but it sums it up well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/physicists-discover-clearest-evidence-yet-that-the-universe-is-a-hologram-9000748.html

I absolutely love quantum physics and the gloriously mystical nature of our universe and existence, most of the theories I at least can get a layman grasp of, even down to matter popping in and out of existence - fascinating stuff. However, in this case, totally lost me lol!

Asked an acquaintance who is a theoretical physicist to explain it to me lol!!

The thing is that I think I understand it but there is no one that could tell me if I do understand it or not

I remember watching a documentary a few years ago that brought up this theory.

The theory itself dates back to a discovering in the 1980s, it was discovered that subatomic particles such as electrons can instantaneously communicate with each other regardless of the distance between them, whether they be 10 feet apart or 10 billion miles apart.

It changes a hell of a lot, in theory it means that in a deeper reality (one we're yet to understand) there are things in the universe that are interconnected. Even space and time may no longer be fundamental. In a deeper reality the past, present and future all exist simultaneously.

It's quite interesting really and rather fascinating. It is very complex though and has endless questions!

If any of you are trying to understand it... there really is no way to understand it. :p I watch a lot of universe related documentaries (yeah I'm sad like that, don't judge) and this is one of those things that scientists can barely make simply sense of, let alone anyone else!

What gets me is this article doesn't at any point state what this new hard evidence is! However Super string theory has been around for a while, basically saying that every particle that we can observe in this dimension is basically due to the interaction of two vibrating strings on a lesser dimension to us. So in that sense the universe as we observe does not actually exist... except when observes in this dimension (the only dimension we are capable of viewing)

I honestly don't think this is anything to do with superposition or entanglement like as mentioned, this seems completely different.

However if anyone is interested in practical applications of superposition, breakthroughs are being made towards super computers. This really will be something else and in my opinion, will catapult technology into another realm - almost literally.

Superposition maintained for 39 minutes

Quantum physics really is one of the times the phrase "The truth is stranger than fiction" can be used.

I adore this subject! It fascinates me!

EDIT:

Superposition, as I understand, is basically the principle that particles partly exist in all possibilities simultaneously. The act of measurement collapses a wave of potential outcomes into one specific outcome.

Imagine an ocean, representing "waves" of potential outcomes, then when you observe/measure this wave it funnels down into a result. Considering this is in a computational setting, would this mean that Quantum information processing is capable of holding all potential functions (based on a linear model I believe) simultaneously, meaning when we carry out a task it is instantly ready to perform it? OR certainly far quicker than an actual thought process of action that present day computers perform.

I may have that totally wrong, but it seems to be along those lines. Just imagine the leaps technology can make based on that principle.

This really has a profound effect on how we think about the universe and our own existence. If it is happening on a molecular level, that means that each one of us lives in a constant state of superposition? People sometimes disassociate from physics and observe it as something outside of ourselves, but we are made of the very molecules that science is studying in this regard.

The potential is quite profound.

Jem8472 said:
So according to this article we could just be a holographic projection on the edge of space.... :eek:

There looks like there is a bit more to it than what is in this article but it sums it up well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/physicists-discover-clearest-evidence-yet-that-the-universe-is-a-hologram-9000748.html

JackieChan.png

James said:
I remember watching a documentary a few years ago that brought up this theory.

The theory itself dates back to a discovering in the 1980s, it was discovered that subatomic particles such as electrons can instantaneously communicate with each other regardless of the distance between them, whether they be 10 feet apart or 10 billion miles apart.

It changes a hell of a lot, in theory it means that in a deeper reality (one we're yet to understand) there are things in the universe that are interconnected. Even space and time may no longer be fundamental. In a deeper reality the past, present and future all exist simultaneously.

It's quite interesting really and rather fascinating. It is very complex though and has endless questions!

If any of you are trying to understand it... there really is no way to understand it. :p I watch a lot of universe related documentaries (yeah I'm sad like that, don't judge) and this is one of those things that scientists can barely make simply sense of, let alone anyone else!

I saw that documentary as well. It was right near the end they just touched on the theory.

I enjoy watching the Universe stuff as its really good fun and there are some totally mind blowing theorys to try and get your hear around.

It does seem like there might be a bit more to the universe and to how it works, but if it does turn out to be something really weird I am not sure if it will change anything in our lives, unless we can somehow manipulate it.

http://www.nature.com/news/simulations-back-up-theory-that-universe-is-a-hologram-1.14328

This has a bit more info and references in it.