• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theme Park Alternatives - Fun/Price Comparison

Rick

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Crux
I thought it would be good to discuss alternatives to theme park in terms of what they are and how much they cost in comparison.

I think this would be good from a perspective point or view, but also it seems timely given the start of another summer and the general "M£rlin $ucks" attitude round these parts.

If there is sufficient interest and response I'll collate at the back end of the season.

I've always enjoyed the likes of Go Ape as an alternative day out. Though the cost can be similar to, or sometimes more than, a theme park entrance ticket. And obviously it only takes 2-3 hours whereas a theme park day n the UK will be somewhere between 6 and 11 hours depending when and where you visit.

I hit up Go Ape again yesterday, we opted for the Grizedale location - located about 25 minutes drive from Windermere, Cumbria.

Number of people - 2
List price per person - £33
Price paid per person - £27 with company discount
Time spent - 3 hours

Review
Great time as ever. Child free so did the Tree Top Adventure, as opposed to the Junior. It's one of the few activities where if you are a moron you will break your legs, or worse.

Top Tip
If you're booking close to the slot try and pick one where the slot prior has less people in it and try and get to the front of your own group. There are a fair few bottlenecks and that's the best way to avoid.

Rating
8/10

Edit - nice one @Burbs

I hit up Go Ape again yesterday, we opted for the Grizedale location - located about 25 minutes drive from Windermere, Cumbria.

Number of people - 2
List price per person - £33
Price paid per person - £27 with company discount
Time spent - 3 hours

Review
Great time as ever. Child free so did the Tree Top Adventure, as opposed to the Junior. It's one of the few activities where if you are a moron you will break your legs, or worse.

Top Tip
If you're booking close to the slot try and pick one where the slot prior has less people in it and try and get to the front of your own group. There are a fair few bottlenecks and that's the best way to avoid.

Rating
8/10

Edit - nice one @Burbs
I have only visited the one at Sherwood Forest (Nottingham), and whilst I would like to go to the others, surely there can't be that much of a difference.

I have only visited the one at Sherwood Forest (Nottingham), and whilst I would like to go to the others, surely there can't be that much of a difference.
At the risk of turning this into a Go Ape topic, the main differences are created by the location. I've done five different ones and for the most part they are the same obstacles etc.

The key difference with the Grizedale one is that the longer zip lines take place over a valley with a road and river running through it, so are artificially high. Also the trees are more mature so some of the course takes place at a height of 60-70ft, rather than the 25-30ft that you find at Black Park etc.

Grizedale also offers 'Zip Trekking' which is a course that you access via a Landrover up in the surrounding hills, it's made up only of zip lines that are a few kilometres long.

I'm younger than most of you but park playgrounds can be great for thrills. Getting pushed hard enough can get serious airtime while the swinging tires can be a lot of fun if you go high enough and are spinning. And its free

All I can think of when someone mentions playgrounds is a roundabout powered by a scooter or motorbike (you must have seen the video, right?) I laughed, I thought my nickers would never dry.

It's possible to go Amsterdam (as well as Paris, Barcelona and more) and back in a day. Even factoring in getting to the airports early to get through security, it'd take quite a lot less traveling time and possibly even be cheaper than going to Thorpe for me. If I didn't have a MAP and had to pay to get in to Thorpe, a day in Amsterdam would be cheaper too. If you're not bothered about luxury, accommodation is cheaper too, do it properly and make a weekend of it. It's an amazing city, regardless of what you're going there for.

What would you do in Amsterdam for the cost of a Thorpe ticket? It's 25 quid online isn't it?

I quite enjoy a game of bowling and also spending time in aracades. Mini golf is also fun too. Easy to waste a bit of money there though!

Walked into that one didn't I...

(If any of my loved ones are reading this, I have no idea what they are talking about).

It can be a bit more of an expensive hobby, but travelling is definitely as appealing to me nowadays as visiting theme parks.

Some of my favourite memories with TST friends have been far away from theme parks, on city breaks away in the UK or Europe.

As well as theme parks, i also like going to zoos/wildlife parks, notably Chester Zoo and Yorkshire Wildlife Park.