• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Theme Park Music on CDs

Scott

Former TS Team Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
This discussion was split from the Phantasialand thread, when a discussion on Chiapas' music being on released on CD developed...

Why can't other parks using IMAScore release their soundtracks? *cough* Alton Towers *cough* The Smiler.

Probably because Towers only commissioned one piece, rather than several pieces of music that could constitute a CD. Also, The Smiler's music is hardly something you'd put on for a nice evening in is it? :p

Sam said:
Probably because Towers only commissioned one piece, rather than several pieces of music that could constitute a CD. Also, The Smiler's music is hardly something you'd put on for a nice evening in is it? :p
I don't necessarily mean as a CD 'album' so to speak... But even as a digital download for the one track? I'm sure many would buy it.

Sam said:

I'm sure The Smiler has many different tracks. There's the main area track, correction block track, station track, exit path track and the shop track. They just seem reluctant with most of their music sadly which is a shame.

On topic however, I love the look of Chiapas and really would like to see more flume rides from Intamin with this new ride system, as long as they iron out the kinks that is so there are no more year long delays. On a side note, blimey, Intamin sure love their fast lifts don't they? :p

The Smiler's main track (used in queue and outdoors) is well over an hour long too so a CD would be well justified. All they have to do is roll out a limited edition CD with a small batch ordered. Sadly it's another risk-free thing Towers could do but just can't be bothered to do.

Indeed, The Smiler's music is very popular. If they did a limited edition CD it would definitely sell out and that's just with the many enthusiasts who would want a copy. It surely wouldn't cost them a tonne to get IMAScore to make one for them.

Maybe it's another difference between European and UK theme parks though. Many parks that I have been to in Europe sell CDs of their ride music, particularly for new rides. It just doesn't happen here though.

:)

Yes rob, tis' strange. I'm sure towers could sell many copies. I always find music triggers memories most of all.

For example, when I hear the icona pop song - I love it, I think of the smiler, when I hear pendulum, I think of nemmy, blur - Rita etc etc.

People (not just me I hope) enjoy these memories, and would happily listen to a cd to resurface them. Even the FV ambient music, the towers steet music, as much as I listen on YouTube occasionally, I'd definately buy the cd to have my own copy and have at my disposal on different devices.

I think a lot of it comes down to rights and royalties. Merlin probably buy the music off the composers (the German duo in the case of The Smiler… way to support British talent, Merlin) and it gives them exclusive rights to play the music in their properties.

Once selling a CD (do people still buy CDs?) comes into play, there's a whole new form of business they'd have to look into as they'd have to pay a record company, pay for printing costs, licensing issues, royalties, etc etc - and, as well all know, that's just too much effort for them as they've got 2345 more Sea Lifes to think about building.

nickhutson said:
I think a lot of it comes down to rights and royalties. Merlin probably buy the music off the composers (the German duo in the case of The Smiler… way to support British talent, Merlin) and it gives them exclusive rights to play the music in their properties.

Once selling a CD (do people still buy CDs?) comes into play, there's a whole new form of business they'd have to look into as they'd have to pay a record company, pay for printing costs, licensing issues, royalties, etc etc - and, as well all know, that's just too much effort for them as they've got 2345 more Sea Lifes to think about building.

None of that stops European theme parks selling their music on CDs though. If a park like Phantasialand can release the IMAScore produced Chiapas music on CD then there's no reason why Towers couldn't easily release the IMAScore produced Smiler music on CD. I am certain that it would sell.

I admit that there would probably be issues releasing some of the older music that's played around the park though.

:)

Thing is though I think it comes down to how the parks get the music in the first place. I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe that the parks can either buy the full rights to the audio, which makes it easier to sell and publish around (And is probably what the likes of Efteling and Europa do), or you can just have the right to play it back, and make payments back to the person/company who hold the full rights to the track (Which is what I think Towers do). Anyone remember back around 2006/7 time when most of the audio was changed on attractions for alternatives? Wasn't that meant to be down to some dispute over money and licensing?

Basically, as Nick has said, I don't think it's as simpler case as Towers just burning a few CDs off and selling them in Buy The Smiler :p

Besides, Phantasialand tend not to even commission soundtracks! Much of their audio has come from films and TV in the past! I think it's either Mystery Castle or Talocan which uses some tracks from Robocop! Much of Nighthawk's audio, and a couple of clips on Winjas are from the Disney film Dinosaur too!

Its a shame Phantasialand dont have an online store. I love the Chiapas music but im not going to the Park so can't buy a copy. As for Merlin, im sure the Towers music would be very popular, most people have it on their computers anyway. I was about to say PortAventura sell CDs of their music, but they produce it all themselves anyway so I suppose they can do what they want with it.

I don't think when it comes to Towers anyone is particularly bothered about old audio - considering back on TowersTimes a guy uploaded probably every single piece imaginable and enthusiasts downloaded heaps of it.

Although certainly when it comes to The Smiler it's possible. If IMAscore are happy to sell CDs at other parks then there must be some way of them working with Towers to offer a CD too. I guess these things happen early in the deals process though and Towers has never really been keenly interested in creating CDs (although they did offer CDs back in the 90s).

Anyway this is wayyyyy off topic! :p

siralgenon said:
Its a shame Phantasialand dont have an online store. I love the Chiapas music but im not going to the Park so can't buy a copy.

Disagree. You should have to go to a park to be able to buy the music. If you want it, go and actually experience the attraction, then get the merchandise.

If anyone can get it anywhere, it reduces its appeal as a special souvenir for fans of the ride/park.

Ride music out of context can sometimes be rubbish, I felt that about Blue Fire until I actually experienced it in person...

Sam said:
siralgenon said:
Its a shame Phantasialand dont have an online store. I love the Chiapas music but im not going to the Park so can't buy a copy.

Disagree. You should have to go to a park to be able to buy the music. If you want it, go and actually experience the attraction, then get the merchandise.

If anyone can get it anywhere, it reduces its appeal as a special souvenir for fans of the ride/park.

Just because you like certain ride theme/s doesn't mean you should have to go and experience the ride/park itself to warrant a 'I went there and bought this CD' "trophy". In that notion, people shouldn't buy music from an artist that they have never seen/or never will see live. I'm sure many people would love to visit certain theme parks/concerts but can't afford to or don't really like what is fully on offer (attractions/other songs). Surely buying the CD means you like the music, not to say 'look I've been on/been to...'.

Sam said:

Surely fans of the park/ride should want others to buy it even if they can't go - it sells, then the park release other CDs down the line which is a good thing for all involved. Is a CD really a special souvenir? Surely an on-ride photo/video is the perfect souvenir for someone who wants to say they have been somewhere and is special to them? A CD & other merchandise is just a nice keepsake and should be enjoyed for what they are.

Realistically speaking selling merchandise online for a Theme Park hardly works out due to there not being a massive market for it as people buy things they see on the day they visit rather than after/before at home (odd exception). Look at Towers when they (still do?) offered merch online, they only had a small selection.

Rollercoasters4Life said:
Just because you like certain ride theme/s doesn't mean you should have to go and experience the ride/park itself to warrant a 'I went there and bought this CD' "trophy". In that notion, people shouldn't buy music from an artist that they have never seen/or never will see live.

That's a false analogy. Buying the music for parks you aren't willing to go to is more like buying the t-shirt of a band you've never actually heard. It's meant to be a peripheral thing to the main experience, for fans. Without having experienced the main experience, you are simply collecting for collecting's sake.

Rollercoasters4Life said:
Surely fans of the park/ride should want others to buy it even if they can't go - it sells, then the park release other CDs down the line which is a good thing for all involved. Is a CD really a special souvenir? Surely an on-ride photo/video is the perfect souvenir for someone who wants to say they have been somewhere and is special to them? A CD & other merchandise is just a nice keepsake and should be enjoyed for what they are.

It doesn't matter either way. Parks will make a miniscule amount of cash on CDs and selling ride music. It is more a nice gesture to the fans who visit the park - to be able to own a souvenir that reminds them of their experiences. If it's available to anyone over the internet, then it's no longer a special 'extra' to actually visiting the park/attraction. It devalues it as a friendly little extra for fans.

Ride music, stripped of its context of being a soundtrack, is hardly amazing music in its own right. Fabric are never going to play the EuroMir theme, and the Hex music isn't exactly up their with Bach.

But if you have good memories of the ride/park associated with that music, then it becomes special through its association with that good time. If you let people buy the music without having heard it in its original context, then it just becomes another mediocre thing for armchair enthusiasts to pointlessly collect.

If you're interested in the ride, make the effort to go and visit the park! Buy the music there, after you've actually experienced what the music is designed to accompany.

What's the consensus on park music that gets released after the ride has opened? Or if you weren't aware the park had released a CD and still want to buy the music?

Or, <insert chosen deity> forbid you want the music because it sounds very good and you like it but you can't afford to get to another country to visit a park for a day?

Thomas said:
Quick question, when would you play something like The Smiler's music? Like, it's hardly BBQ music?
I personally tend to listen to most theme park music in the car when I'm alone, or through headphones when commuting. There are plenty of occasions when you'd listen to music alone - that'd be when I listen to theme park music :)

Sam said:
That's a false analogy. Buying the music for parks you aren't willing to go to is more like buying the t-shirt of a band you've never actually heard. It's meant to be a peripheral thing to the main experience, for fans.

Highly disagree. Other more normal merchandise and I agree with you. A CD with ride theme/s on can be enjoyed away from the experience as it is its own media and people get enjoyment out of listening to music. If you bought a T-shirt with a rides name on and picture without experiencing it then I would be more inclined to agree with you. A CD - no.

Sam said:
Without having experienced the main experience, you are simply collecting for collecting's sake.

No you are collecting because you like the musical piece/s. It not just collecting for collecting's sake as you get enjoyment out of listening to said CD.

Sam said:
It doesn't matter either way. Parks will make a miniscule amount of cash on CDs and selling ride music. It is more a nice gesture to the fans who visit the park - to be able to own a souvenir that reminds them of their experiences. If it's available to anyone over the internet, then it's no longer a special 'extra' to actually visiting the park/attraction. It devalues it as a friendly little extra for fans.

Whether the park makes minuscule amount of money off the CD's is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the park sees it fit to produce a CD so people can buy it - if people don't buy it then they won't bother making the CD's for future attractions which means enthusiasts lose out in the end. Surely having the CD and being able to listen to it away from the experience is the 'magical' part, not the fact that you have it as a "trophy" just because you have been.

Sam said:
Ride music, stripped of its context of being a soundtrack, is hardly amazing music in its own right. Fabric are never going to play the EuroMir theme, and the Hex music isn't exactly up their with Bach.

But if you have good memories of the ride/park associated with that music, then it becomes special through its association with that good time. If you let people buy the music without having heard it in its original context, then it just becomes another mediocre thing for armchair enthusiasts to pointlessly collect.

If you're interested in the ride, make the effort to go and visit the park! Buy the music there, after you've actually experienced what the music is designed to accompany.

Some ride themes are nice to listen to regardless of their context, others no so much. 'Armchair enthusiasts' I like that one - just because people can't go to certain parks or experience certain places in the world doesn't mean that they are any less of an enthusiast than someone who does. There are limitations to life such as money, time, human factors (afraid of flying, not having someone that shares the same hobbies which makes it difficult for justifying a visit to a park, and so on). If only life didn't have limitations, ay? A perfect world - unfortunately not.

In the end the music is there to be enjoyed - why not make it available to all? More money for the park & more people get to enjoy the music. Everyone is happy. Not that any of this makes a difference as most parks don't get adequate revenue to justify an online shop. I'm more on about certain attitudes to Theme Park music and its availability.