• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2025] Therme Manchester | [2023] Modern Surf

As others have said, there is no risk to The Trafford Centre. It'll continue without the stupid Intu branding one way or another. (Indeed, most centres are profitable, Intu were just crippled by an enormous debt pile and years of poor financial management.)

This looks like an amazing scheme, can't wait to book in.

I live 6 miles from the Trafford Centre. It sure is exciting to have this coming. Lego land discovery n Sea life aren't my cup of tea but appreciate they are popular for some. This is a whole new level though. Should do very well with the catchment area we have.

Work is now expected to commence on the site next March. I wasn't aware that Event City had closed at all earlier this year, but a new company is being brought in to host a number of events up until the complex is ready to be demolished.

In addition, Blooloop have reported a £60m complex has been proposed known as "Modern Surf Manchester", could open opposite the Therme site.

This would feature a huge surf wave lagoon, as well as "skating, bouldering and other activities". There will be pop up beach bars, a "unique" F&B outlet, and an "interactive landscape" with artwork collaborations with local artists.
modern-surf-manchester-project-1024x593.jpeg

It's really great to see the investment that's been put into the area recently as well as the plans going forward. The Barton Square car park has been used recently as a very successful outdoor cinema and event space, in addition to the completion of the refurbishment of this part of the Trafford Centre.

Merlin on the other hand haven't been doing well here. The Legoland Discovery Centre has faced huge staffing cuts, now only opens from 10:00 - 13:00 on weekdays, and has removed the driving school attraction (replaced with toy tyke cars like the ones found in a 2-year-old's garden).

Work is now expected to commence on the site next March. I wasn't aware that Event City had closed at all earlier this year, but a new company is being brought in to host a number of events up until the complex is ready to be demolished.

In addition, Blooloop have reported a £60m complex has been proposed known as "Modern Surf Manchester", could open opposite the Therme site.

This would feature a huge surf wave lagoon, as well as "skating, bouldering and other activities". There will be pop up beach bars, a "unique" F&B outlet, and an "interactive landscape" with artwork collaborations with local artists.
modern-surf-manchester-project-1024x593.jpeg

It's really great to see the investment that's been put into the area recently as well as the plans going forward. The Barton Square car park has been used recently as a very successful outdoor cinema and event space, in addition to the completion of the refurbishment of this part of the Trafford Centre.

Merlin on the other hand haven't been doing well here. The Legoland Discovery Centre has faced huge staffing cuts, now only opens from 10:00 - 13:00 on weekdays, and has removed the driving school attraction (replaced with toy tyke cars like the ones found in a 2-year-old's garden).

Excited for this. We live a stones throw away from here and my lad is now 7 so by the time this is built he'll be the perfect age to enjoy these attractions if they do still go ahead which it seems they will be.

Not overly surprised to hear about Legoland Discovery either. We've only been once and left after 2 hrs feeling a bit disappointed by it all.

Not to mention when they decided to ban their customers from actually visiting the centres if they weren't taking a child with them.

Not to mention when they decided to ban their customers from actually visiting the centres if they weren't taking a child with them.

Yep, this was a fairly ridiculous decision which now seems to have backfired. It’s sad that it’s seemingly not doing well, but they’ve reaped what they sowed - a somewhat poor product to start with and restricting the demographic who can visit is going to mean a minimal amount of return visits.

Lets be honest here, as much as alot of you don't like the "kids only" rule, it really isnt aimed at adult visitors and I'd be willing to bet adults buying tickets without having Merlin passes was very very unusual anyway. It seems far more likely that LL.DC's issues stem from the fact they are an exclusively indoor attraction during a time when indoor attractions have not been allowed to open during a global pandemic....

Lets be honest here, as much as alot of you don't like the "kids only" rule, it really isnt aimed at adult visitors and I'd be willing to bet adults buying tickets without having Merlin passes was very very unusual anyway.
Yep and adult passholders are not bringing in any additional money really either. Day guests are probably a lot more profitable for the discovery centres and sea life as there is no secondary spending on food really.

Planning permission has been granted for Modern Surf, which is also projected to open alongside Therme in 2023.

As for Therme themselves, they have also been making their forthcoming presence in Manchester known, having sponsored the marathon which occurred this weekend. I believe this is a partnership that will also occur in next year's marathon.

It's great to see such a large project actually happening in the UK. :)

This had gone quiet for a while but Therme’s soponsorship of today’s Manchester Marathon appears to have brought with it some updated plans.

The opening has now been pushed to 2025, with construction starting next year. The plans appear to have also been amended to add things like an “urban beach” and the world’s first “living slides”. Whilst I’ve no idea what a living slide is, I understand the revised planning goes into the the council soon and they’re supported by some updated visuals:

9BB19501-67D3-4D81-87C4-534DAD9EE9BE.jpegFF6EF406-6E4A-4DAA-AFF3-0C09662F7CC2.jpeg

This had gone quiet for a while but Therme’s soponsorship of today’s Manchester Marathon appears to have brought with it some updated plans.

The opening has now been pushed to 2025, with construction starting next year. The plans appear to have also been amended to add things like an “urban beach” and the world’s first “living slides”. Whilst I’ve no idea what a living slide is, I understand the revised planning goes into the the council soon and they’re supported by some updated visuals:

9BB19501-67D3-4D81-87C4-534DAD9EE9BE.jpegFF6EF406-6E4A-4DAA-AFF3-0C09662F7CC2.jpeg
As the concept art shows, it looks like the "living slides" are slides covered with plants. :)

I expected a pushback was inevitable. The site still remains untouched. Can't see the council making any objections, however. They're huge supporters if I recall.

I expected a pushback was inevitable. The site still remains untouched. Can't see the council making any objections, however. They're huge supporters if I recall.
Correct, they’ve already got planning, so I expect this will just be an amendment. There’s not really anyone who you would expect to object around there either.

I’m not certain of the reason for the delay, but it’s a good bet that they were waiting to see what came out of the other side of covid before putting spades in the ground.

6 miles from my house. Will be nice to have something like this nearby. Would prefer a class new theme park obviously but this will definitely do.