Thirteen vs Wicker Man; Battle of the 1.2m Secret Weapons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt N, 23rd May 2021.

?

Thirteen or Wicker Man?

1. Thirteen

11.7%
  2. Wicker Man

88.3%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Yeah I'd somewhat agree, I don't think Wicker Man lacks force though, but I do think Thirteen's drop track element has more force to it that any part of Wicker Man for sure.

Matt N and Ethan like this.
  2. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

I was morely talking about the helix after the first drop. I actually find that quite intense

Matt N likes this.
  3. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’d personally say that I find moments on Wicker Man like the s-bend drop and turn into the first wicker man pass through and the turn within the final wicker man pass through a fair bit more forceful than any section of Thirteen, but I guess it’s subjective!

Controversially, I’d actually say that Thirteen is the least intense of the 3 1.2m coasters; I’d even say Spinball is more intense than Thirteen. That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy Thirteen by any means, as I really do like Thirteen as an overall ride, and in spite of the fact I’d say it’s less intense, I’d say that I do prefer it to Spinball by a fair bit, personally. However, I certainly wouldn’t call Thirteen an intense ride, on the whole.

Wicker Man is streets ahead of the other two 1.2m coasters in my rankings, though; it’s in my overall top 5, while neither of the other 2 even make my top 20.

Last edited: 24th May 2021
  4. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I think Th13teen is more consistent of the two as Wicker Man can be fairly dull first thing in the morning but is way faster and more forceful at night or after rain.

Matt N likes this.
  5. Tommy85

Tommy85 TowersStreet Member

I know this will never happen due to budget reasons but I often think: ‘Imagine if they flattened 13, Rita and the burger kitchen (never see anyone in there!). Would anyone really miss them? Then they’d have an absolutely massive area to build both a world class water ride (AT needs a good water ride more than anything else right now in my opinion) and a new coaster’. Yeah like I say, just a pipe dream

Matt N likes this.
  6. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Well yes, me for one, I love Thirteen, as do some others I've seen on here. Rita is nothing special but it's still decent. So yeah, I'd miss them I guess :tearsofjoy: I personally think Rita gets too much hate as well, it's genuinely not even that bad (currently my least favourite coaster of the Big 7) but I still like it!

Heidi, Matt N and Ethan like this.
  7. Ethan

Rita is probably my least favourite too

Matt N likes this.
  8. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    A proper first drop should never have brakes half way down.

[​IMG]

9. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

Forces are not subjective, they are measurable. Whether you enjoy those forces is another matter, but kne cam be shown to be more forceful than the other.

Not controversial at all, I'd be shocked if Thirteen exerted greater forces than the others. The coaster section is utter pony.

Rick, Matt N and jon81uk like this.
  10. Ethan

I personally find that first helix after the drop on th13teen more forceful than any moment on Wicker man

Matt N likes this.
  11. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I suspect Thirteen is better riding at night? I haven't been to a late closing but I could see it being good once its dark

Heidi, Matt N and Ethan like this.
  12. Themeparksandy1981

Themeparksandy1981 TowersStreet Member

Wicker man wins easily but with my daughter riding both last October for the 1st time. She hated 13 she found it scary and hated the drop and the backwards section which I think the marketing team did well for her height and age range. She loved Wicker man and found it so fun she wanted to join the queue again after waiting just over 2 hours to ride.

jon81uk and Matt N like this.
  13. coastinginlife

coastinginlife TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I love th13teen and think it’s a very underrated coaster, I do find it funny how it provokes such rage from some folk you don’t like it don’t ride it ‍♂️ But it’s got to be Wicker man for me. As an overall package it ticks many boxes.

Heidi, RoyJess and Matt N like this.
  14. Heidi

Heidi TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wicker Man
    100% agree, sometimes I think both the Thirteen and Rita hate is a little band wagon-y

15. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Before last Sunday my top 4 ranking was as follows;

1. Nemesis
    2. Thirteen
    3. Oblivion
    4. Wicker Man

But after an incredibly smooth (!) back row ride on Wicker Man last week, it has rocketed up one place;

1. Nemesis
    2. Thirteen
    3. Wicker Man
    4. Oblivion

I still rate Thirteen higher as I just find it so fun (although I do agree and wish that the pre-crypt section was a bit longer), but Wicker Man blew me away with how smooth it was. Absolutely was not expecting that level of smoothness at all, let alone in the back row! :eek::D
    Was the smoothest ride I've had on WM so far. :)

Last edited: 30th May 2021
    Matt N likes this.
  16. Ethan

Can't believe you still haven't been on the smiler. It's literally the best ride in the uk (probably controversial)

Matt N likes this.
  17. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Hopefully in the Summer I'll finally give it a go, once masks are gone (hopefully- so I can sit at the front as I'm exempt from wearing one) and the weather is better. Plus I''l make sure I go to X Sector first so I'm not already tired and achy when I get there. :)

18. andeyhart

andeyhart TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Wicker Man is a considerably better ride than Th13teen overall. Not just ride experience, but the theming, the surrounding area, the atmosphere, everything basically.

Having said that, I've really grown to appreciate Th13teen for what it is these past years.

Posted 3rd Jun 2021
  19. Davezilla

Davezilla TowersStreet Member

Wicker Man. I'd have gone for Thirteen but for some reason the staff kept giving the back few seats to these strange looking men when I was there last week. Thought Alton Towers didn't allow re-rides?

MattyH, Matt N and Thameslink Rail like this.
    Posted 3rd Jun 2021
  20. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    If they exited the station then queued again it's allowed.

Last edited: 3rd Jun 2021
    NuttySquirrel and Matt N like this.
    Posted 3rd Jun 2021