• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I used the sea level measurement because that is Blackpool’s PR claim, so it’s probably best to do it via what Blackpool actually claims.

But why may I ask? If comparisons are to be made then they need to use the same form of measurement don't they? I don't understand why it would be best to measure them using different rules at all? It's true that The Big One stands 235ft above Sea Level but it's also true that a 236ft coaster at Thorpe would stand approximately 302ft above sea level wouldn't it?

Right I'm confused is this Mack hyper from cancelled six flags park (wasn't being built by six flags just using the name) confirmed to be coming to the park or is it just heavy speculation?

:tearsofjoy:

Alton.PNG

(sorry for the language mind)

But why may I ask? If comparisons are to be made then they need to use the same form of measurement don't they? I don't understand why it would be best to measure them using different rules at all? It's true that The Big One stands 235ft above Sea Level but it's also true that a 236ft coaster at Thorpe would stand approximately 302ft above sea level wouldn't it?
I know it seems a bit strange, but the main reason I'm doing it is because that's how the average visitor will see it.

Someone who didn't know any better would have every right to think that the 2 are only 1ft apart due to Blackpool's advertising claims. As much as the enthusiast belief is that Big One is 213ft tall due to that being its RCDB listing, your average punter will think 235ft due to Blackpool's advertising. Whether Blackpool's advertising is true or not is up for debate (I even remember Allott & Lomax engineers saying that the ride was 235ft and 85mph in the Big One documentary, for what it's worth; where did 213ft and 74mph actually come from, out of interest?), but inevitably, Blackpool's advertising angle is what the average visitor will see and (likely) believe.

Do you get what I mean?
It would be nice to get a new coaster in this country that's actually a new coaster and not just someone else's failed rejects...
But it's a pretty good-looking reject, isn't it? I think this ride could really be something special, personally!

Buzzing with what we know so far. Much better than what I expected from Thorpe.

Just need them to not sh*t the bed and put OTSR's on it.

Buzzing with what we know so far. Much better than what I expected from Thorpe.

Just need them to not sh*t the bed and put OTSR's on it.
Given that no other Mack thrill coaster has OTSRs, to my knowledge, I think your wish will likely be granted!

It would be nice to get a new coaster in this country that's actually a new coaster and not just someone else's failed rejects...
Yes I suppose however I don't think if we'd hadn't been told we wouldn't no that it was a failed concept. Mack have probably spent all the money designing it and even starting fabrication when the six flags project (which wasn't being built by six flags) was cancelled.

This coaster genuinely had the potential to be the best coaster in the country. DC rivals in Australia looks amazing and if it's only half a good as that I'd be happy.

As for speculation about colour, I'm convinced it'll be white for the same reasons as stealth. For theme I have no idea but am going to stick with my thought of the theme of flying which I think would be a sensible marketing move.

As for speculation about colour, I'm convinced it'll be white for the same reasons as stealth. For theme I have no idea but am going to stick with my thought of the theme of flying which I think would be a sensible marketing move.
They confirmed it would have the same colour scheme as Stealth; white at the high points, dark blue at the low points.

In terms of the theme; due to it being Project Exodus (it turns out Exodus might not have been so much of a reach after all, interestingly!), my personal suspicion remains some kind of space or extra-terrestrial theme.

Out of interest, did they confirm that this was the cancelled Six Flags Dubai coaster, or is that just conjecture? I only ask because I was under the impression that that coaster was headed to Bollywood Park, as that RCDB file seems to imply.

You'd like to think so but look at The Smiler, which could've had a lap restraint. We all know Merlin like to be cautious.
Smiler’s slightly different, though; most of the Euro-Fighters had OTSRs already, so Smiler wasn’t a huge departure from Gerst’s existing stock, while I don’t think Mack even offers OTSRs to my knowledge.

You'd like to think so but look at The Smiler, which could've had a lap restraint. We all know Merlin like to be cautious.
It'll probably be like Icon with the new seatbelts and that'll be the cautious bit. I presume the trains for this were designed before the seatbelt so wouldn't be surprised if Merlin insist on it being installed on them for safety. I think most of the public will see them as OTSR's as they come over your head and so I think they'll be seen as safe.