• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

A lot of it feels like wasted opportunity. A layout that looks more Steel Curtain and doesn't really seem to utilise the UK height record beyond just breaking it for the sake of breaking it since they've run out of other USPs.

Also why does it matter that American enthusiasts want to come over here? Majority of them just listen to one person's opinions anyway and treat it as fact.

This country will never see a hyper coaster that makes full use of its height and speed with a sprawling out and back layout. There are simply too many NIMBYs living in close proximity to our major parks who will complain about visual pollution. That is a reason why Exodus isn't longer, Thorpe have said it themselves. It was designed with sightlines from the surrounding area in mind.

I do agree however that it could do with a few extra elements before it reaches the station. A few small airtime hills and a few final turns before heading back to the station would've been nice of course.

Last edited:
To be honest if I lived next to or near a theme park and I brought my house 25 years ago when it was just a small theme park I would be moaning about seeing a big coaster and the noise I could hear from it from March to November every year.

I think Exodus could really surprise people. The more I look at the plans the better it looks.

That first drop will be insane and possibly one of the best in the world, especially with the freedom of a Mack restraint. The way it twists at that steep an angle will be very intense and offer big ejector airtime.

The only downside is obviously the length, which points to classic Merlin cost saving.

I personally would've preferred an RMC and it would arguably be more suited to that area of the park. As for B&M, many of their coasters are too formulaic.

In that respect, I'm glad Thorpe have atleast gone for something a bit more interesting. Even if it is too short.

Project Exodus has a very special layout. The elements on it look unique and have sent a lot of American enthusiasts into a collective org*sm. They themselves have said that they wouldn't have wanted to travel all the way down to the UK if it turned out to be just another B&M hyper. Longer doesn't necessarily translate to a better ride.

The Americans have Steel Curtain. Exodus looks like a budget version of it. Steel Curtain is made just as much by its length as the integration of elements coming together. As much as I enjoyed SC, Exodus really isn't looking like it'll come anywhere close.

The Americans have Steel Curtain. Exodus looks like a budget version of it. Steel Curtain is made just as much by its length as the integration of elements coming together. As much as I enjoyed SC, Exodus really isn't looking like it'll come anywhere close.
It really does remind me of Steel Curtain actually. Different trains and restraints though of course.

I was one of those who was a strong advocate for a B&M Hyper Coaster. What I’d say about my opinion is that it’s not because of any allegiance to B&M or whatever (even if my top 2 coasters are admittedly B&M Hypers).

It’s because I feel that the strongest qualities of a B&M Hyper Coaster are things that Thorpe Park, and arguably the wider UK industry, could have really benefitted from and arguably lack at present. The things I’m talking about are:
  • A strong focus on straight airtime - I’m sure that few would deny that the UK is not currently the strongest country on earth for airtime, and I’d argue that no UK coaster currently exists with a strong focus on straight airtime. A B&M Hyper would have remedied this; even if they don’t have the strongest airtime in the world force-wise, they certainly have plenty of good, sustained floater airtime, and a ride like that with lots of airtime hills and a pure focus on good, clean airtime is something that the UK as a whole, let alone Thorpe Park, currently lacks, in my opinion.
  • A non-inverting thrill coaster - I’d say that this is more of a gap when you look solely at Thorpe Park than if you look at the entire UK, but I would argue that a B&M Hyper would have offered a really strong non-inverting thrill coaster, which I think would have been a very valuable addition to the park. Thorpe’s only current thrill coaster without inversions is Stealth, which is more of a one-trick ride, so a B&M Hyper would have given the park a more fleshed out non-inverting thrill coaster to add some variety to the lineup. On a wider UK level, I do feel that a B&M Hyper would still have been relatively unique in offering a substantial coaster without inversions.
  • A crowd pleaser focused on fun and rerideability rather than out and out intensity - If there’s one thing that B&M Hyper Coasters are, it’s crowd pleasers. Most seem to agree that they are very fun, rerideable coasters that while not excessive in intensity, are very easy to reride and give you a compelling urge to go round again and again after you get off. I’d argue that Thorpe Park in particular currently lacks a fun, rerideable thrill coaster of this style, and I think a B&M Hyper would have been a really good way to give them one, personally.
As for the current proposal; I’ll agree that it looks great, and I very much look forward to riding it. Some of those elements look absurd, and the overall layout design looks top-notch and should provide a truly top-drawer experience, in my view!

However, I don’t think that it looks to fill a notable niche within Thorpe Park and the wider UK theme park industry in quite the same way as a B&M Hyper Coaster would have done.

I’ll put it this way; if a B&M Hyper would have provided something totally different to Thorpe Park’s existing coasters and added a new layer of variety to their lineup, Exodus looks more like a supersized, considerably enhanced version of much of their existing lineup. Exodus is a big multi looper, which is a trope that has already been covered by a number of Thorpe’s other coasters and other big coasters in the UK. Yes, I digress that Exodus’ take on this trope is very unique and has the potential to be truly excellent, and I 100% understand Thorpe’s rationale behind taking the route that they have with it, but it still looks to be an intense, multi looping coaster in a park and country relatively saturated with intense, multi looping coasters.

That’s not to say that I think it’s a bad move or that it won’t be a phenomenal ride, as I have high confidence that it will be absolutely brilliant and very successful, but I don’t feel that it will fill a clear gap within Thorpe and the wider UK industry in the way that a B&M Hyper, or a similar non-inverting airtime based ride, would have done. No matter how phenomenal Exodus ends up being, it will ultimately still be an enhanced version of much of what Thorpe and the UK currently has, whereas I feel that a B&M Hyper or similar could have provided a very different type of experience to anything else currently on offer in the UK.

I apologise if I sound “bitter that my team lost” or whatever. I’m really not bitter at all, and I’m very excited indeed about the Mack! However, that doesn’t mean that some of my reservations about the Mack compared to the B&M proposal, and the general idea of a B&M Hyper or similar, don’t remain, and I think it’s only fair that I’m 100% honest about that.

Last edited:
I was one of those who was a strong advocate for a B&M Hyper Coaster. What I’d say about my opinion is that it’s not because of any allegiance to B&M or whatever (even if my top 2 coasters are admittedly B&M Hypers).

It’s because I feel that the strongest qualities of a B&M Hyper Coaster are things that Thorpe Park, and arguably the wider UK industry, could have really benefitted from and arguably lack at present. The things I’m talking about are:
  • A strong focus on straight airtime - I’m sure that few would deny that the UK is not currently the strongest country on earth for airtime, and I’d argue that no UK coaster currently exists with a strong focus on straight airtime. A B&M Hyper would have remedied this; even if they don’t have the strongest airtime in the world force-wise, they certainly have plenty of good, sustained floater airtime, and a ride like that with lots of airtime hills and a pure focus on good, clean airtime is something that the UK as a whole, let alone Thorpe Park, currently lacks, in my opinion.
  • A non-inverting thrill coaster - I’d say that this is more of a gap when you look solely at Thorpe Park than if you look at the entire UK, but I would argue that a B&M Hyper would have offered a really strong non-inverting thrill coaster, which I think would have been a very valuable addition to the park. Thorpe’s only current thrill coaster without inversions is Stealth, which is more of a one-trick ride, so a B&M Hyper would have given the park a more fleshed out non-inverting thrill coaster to add some variety to the lineup. On a wider UK level, I do feel that a B&M Hyper would still have been relatively unique in offering a substantial coaster without inversions.
  • A crowd pleaser focused on fun and rerideability rather than out and out intensity - If there’s one thing that B&M Hyper Coasters are, it’s crowd pleasers. Most seem to agree that they are very fun, rerideable coasters that while not excessive in intensity, are very easy to reride and give you a compelling urge to go round again and again after you get off. I’d argue that Thorpe Park in particular currently lacks a fun, rerideable thrill coaster of this style, and I think a B&M Hyper would have been a really good way to give them one, personally.
As for the current proposal; I’ll agree that it looks great, and I very much look forward to riding it. Some of those elements look absurd, and the overall layout design looks top-notch and should provide a truly top-drawer experience, in my view!

However, I don’t think that it looks to fill a notable niche within Thorpe Park and the wider UK theme park industry in quite the same way as a B&M Hyper Coaster would have done.

I’ll put it this way; if a B&M Hyper would have provided something totally different to Thorpe Park’s existing coasters and added a new layer of variety to their lineup, Exodus looks more like a supersized, considerably enhanced version of much of their existing lineup. Exodus is a big multi looper, which is a trope that has already been covered by a number of Thorpe’s other coasters and other big coasters in the UK. Yes, I digress that Exodus’ take on this trope is very unique and has the potential to be truly excellent, and I 100% understand Thorpe’s rationale behind taking the route that they have with it, but it still looks to be an intense, multi looping coaster in a park and country relatively saturated with intense, multi looping coasters.

That’s not to say that I think it’s a bad move or that it won’t be a phenomenal ride, as I have high confidence that it will be absolutely brilliant and very successful, but I don’t feel that it will fill a clear gap within Thorpe and the wider UK industry in the way that a B&M Hyper, or a similar non-inverting airtime based ride, would have done. No matter how phenomenal Exodus ends up being, it will ultimately still be an enhanced version of much of what Thorpe and the UK currently has, whereas I feel that a B&M Hyper or similar could have provided a very different type of experience to anything else currently on offer in the UK.

I apologise if I sound “bitter that my team lost” or whatever. I’m really not bitter at all, and I’m very excited indeed about the Mack! However, that doesn’t mean that some of my reservations about the Mack compared to the B&M proposal, and the general idea of a B&M Hyper or similar, don’t remain, and I think it’s only fair that I’m 100% honest about that.
No Matt you don't sound bitter at all and very well put, you're right about it not filling that big hole we have in the England rollercoaster line up and it's the same reason why Americans seem more excited for this ride than some British enthusiasts.

I think yes it's ashame we're not getting that airtime machine we've all wanted for so many years and a traditional hyper coaster but I think once the ride is there I think it'll ride really well and have a relentless layout that'll hopefully put us somewhat back on the map.

We'll never catch up with the rest of the world, not even Europe but any major investment is nothing but a good thing! If only they put an extra 10 million into this, Exodus but longer with some good airtime hills mixed in would be the perfect rollercoaster, for me atleast.

Last edited:
First time here on the Thorpe thread I think but regarding this new large ride...

Call me a county bumpkin all you like with a low expectation that is the sort of stupid crowd Merlin appeals to, but this ride does look truly impressive, and I honestly don't really give a damn on that...from where I'm from this something to get me to finally head to Thrope for the first time. Yes, I haven't been to neither Thorpe or Chessie though I did LLW many years ago. Unlike many of you, I can't really afford a big trip to ride hyper coasters, only one I've ever done is Sliver Star which says a lot of how bad it is for me as I've yet to do others but as I said, I can't go other places like everyone else can on here. So please, stop bragging about what Hyper coasters everyone has done yet some of us haven't got that luxury...a trip across the pond for me to try out all those wonderful rides is a fantasy for me. :mad:

I honestly really don't care about airtime, once again you can see how bad it is for me, any coaster that is a smooth rider with perhaps a bit of character and half decent theming is always a pass to me. Besides, to have a long-awaited giant coaster built in the country after so many years is to be welcomed and not mocked at when you consider how difficult things are to be built, never mind something this size. Ofc, could it be a little longer I won't deny that but if this does finally make me head far south and not stopping as far as Towers to gain long awaited new credits then so be it.

God, reading all where folk have been on TS just makes me feel down of how far behind I am on so much. 😞

Hyper coasters everyone has done yet some of us haven't got that luxury...a trip across the pond for me to try out all those wonderful rides is a fantasy for me. :mad:

God, reading all where folk have been on TS just makes me feel down of how far behind I am on so much. 😞
Hey man don't stress about it, before 2020 I had barely been to any theme parks despite always having a interest, money always been a bit of a struggle in my family, now that I'm an adult and work it's only been these last couple years I've even been experiencing a lot of big UK parks for the first time.

Originally just popped to Drayton manor in 2020 for something to do in summer after those tedious lockdowns and ever since been to Towers, Drayton and Thorpe countless times.

Does make me excited to get around Europe and see the likes of Phantasialand, energylandia, portaventura which I will definitely get around to doing all of them.

Project Exodus will be the first big project where I can check out the construction and get straight down there for opening day or week which is all things I can't wait to experience for the first time.

I think Exodus could really surprise people. The more I look at the plans the better it looks.

That first drop will be insane and possibly one of the best in the world, especially with the freedom of a Mack restraint. The way it twists at that steep an angle will be very intense and offer big ejector airtime.

The only downside is obviously the length, which points to classic Merlin cost saving.
Good point on the drop, and it will be better over water. Intamin lap bars would have been even better, I think. As for B&M, this isn't the layout or size for lumbering!

First time here on the Thorpe thread I think but regarding this new large ride...

Call me a county bumpkin all you like with a low expectation that is the sort of stupid crowd Merlin appeals to, but this ride does look truly impressive, and I honestly don't really give a damn on that...from where I'm from this something to get me to finally head to Thrope for the first time. Yes, I haven't been to neither Thorpe or Chessie though I did LLW many years ago. Unlike many of you, I can't really afford a big trip to ride hyper coasters, only one I've ever done is Sliver Star which says a lot of how bad it is for me as I've yet to do others but as I said, I can't go other places like everyone else can on here. So please, stop bragging about what Hyper coasters everyone has done yet some of us haven't got that luxury...a trip across the pond for me to try out all those wonderful rides is a fantasy for me. :mad:

I honestly really don't care about airtime, once again you can see how bad it is for me, any coaster that is a smooth rider with perhaps a bit of character and half decent theming is always a pass to me. Besides, to have a long-awaited giant coaster built in the country after so many years is to be welcomed and not mocked at when you consider how difficult things are to be built, never mind something this size. Ofc, could it be a little longer I won't deny that but if this does finally make me head far south and not stopping as far as Towers to gain long awaited new credits then so be it.

If I made you feel bad, I apologise. That wasn't my intent.

Also, I'm hardly the traveller extraordinaire either... I've only done 3 hyper coasters (Mako, Silver Star, and The Big One) and 5 coasters over 200ft full stop (the above 3 as well as SheiKra and Stealth) myself, so it's hardly like I've travelled the world and done everything there is to do. You'll get there eventually; it's important to remember that this hobby is a marathon, not a sprint.

An interesting alternative point of view 👍

You're bang on tbf, 99.9% of Thorpe visitors will be in the same boat and probably won't have ridden any other hypers so it will probably go down very well with the general public.

However this is a forum of coaster nerds, and naturally a lot of people on here will be well travelled. Part of the fun of riding lots of coasters is being able to share and discuss those experiences with others who may have done the same or similar rides.

I don't think being able to ride elite coasters regularly is a "luxury" these days. They're more accessible than ever and it's great that more people are able to get out there and get on them so easily. I don't bother with BPB anymore as its cheaper to do a weekend at Energylandia!

Hey man don't stress about it, before 2020 I had barely been to any theme parks despite always having a interest, money always been a bit of a struggle in my family, now that I'm an adult and work it's only been these last couple years I've even been experiencing a lot of big UK parks for the first time.

Originally just popped to Drayton manor in 2020 for something to do in summer after those tedious lockdowns and ever since been to Towers, Drayton and Thorpe countless times.

Does make me excited to get around Europe and see the likes of Phantasialand, energylandia, portaventura which I will definitely get around to doing all of them.

Project Exodus will be the first big project where I can check out the construction and get straight down there for opening day or week which is all things I can't wait to experience for the first time.
If I made you feel bad, I apologise. That wasn't my intent.

Also, I'm hardly the traveller extraordinaire either... I've only done 3 hyper coasters (Mako, Silver Star, and The Big One) and 5 coasters over 200ft full stop (the above 3 as well as SheiKra and Stealth) myself, so it's hardly like I've travelled the world and done everything there is to do. You'll get there eventually; it's important to remember that this hobby is a marathon, not a sprint.
Feels like I have so much to do, only other places I've experienced my major rides in either Spain, Italy and Germany and even then it's very limited for me and less said about the USA the better. Even, the fact I haven't done the likes of Thorpe, Chessie and Drayton says a lot though some will say I'm not missing out given how the former two parks are.
An interesting alternative point of view 👍

You're bang on tbf, 99.9% of Thorpe visitors will be in the same boat and probably won't have ridden any other hypers so it will probably go down very well with the general public.

However this is a forum of coaster nerds, and naturally a lot of people on here will be well travelled. Part of the fun of riding lots of coasters is being able to share and discuss those experiences with others who may have done the same or similar rides.

I don't think being able to ride elite coasters regularly is a "luxury" these days. They're more accessible than ever and it's great that more people are able to get out there and get on them so easily. I don't bother with BPB anymore as its cheaper to do a weekend at Energylandia!
Wouldn't say things are cheaper given rise of the looming cost living, pretty certain that'll be tough to travel to these places I hear so much about.

So yeah, suppose really with my more limited opinion on Hypercoasters does add a little bit of balance on here which as you said is more varied and from what you read are obviously going to be somewhat bias in one direction...had I had the same level of Hypercoasters like everyone on here maybe I'd be no different so I'm not sure what I can give to my thoughts on the project other than hope the damn thing gets built and that I can finally venture far south (I have though have a very advanced amount of travelling around all corners around Britain for the heritage railways which is something I guess going as far as the Isle of Wight but I'm rambling).

Only thing I can give instead of Hypercoasters is my painful credits of crappy Pinfari rides which are something...😅

My take is that people are craving for something that will have longevity. Not just a quick sugar rush, but something that will encourage repeat visits because it's a great experience that's rerideable for years to come. I don't just mean people in this community here, I mean the "general public" as well.

My concern is that it might be great initially during the honeymoon phase but over time will people return? It needs to be something special, not just something done lazily to break a UK record.