Thorpe Park: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Ted, 11th Jun 2012.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’ll see how I go; as I personally like Inferno & Stealth more than Saw or Colossus and am unsure if I’ll be able to be at the front for rope drop, I’ll probably head to those first. I do rather like Detonator as well, so I’d definitely like to give that one a try, especially after having ridden Venom last October!

JAperson likes this.
  2. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    Nemesis I've seen the staff waiting for a train plenty of times, Inferno I've never not stacked. Poor poor ops. It's possible to not stack.

imanautie likes this.
  3. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

Thorpe do up all the seatbelts on unused seats which slows things down. I’ll never understand why they do that.

JAperson likes this.
  4. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    ^ Used to do that at Alton Towers too until the early 00s. My guess is it's to reduce cosmetic damage to the harnesses caused by the flailing belt buckle.

The original Nemesis crews didn't routinely stack trains though even when they had to buckle empty seats.

MakoMania, imanautie and JAperson like this.
  5. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Inferno has a longer duration and 1 less row to check so I've never understood why it stacks so much.

6. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Black Mirror LABYRINTH is a good option if you count mazes as rides!

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Funcone likes this.
  7. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I had an absolute stonker of a day at Thorpe today! In 6.5 hours, my total ride count was a shockingly high 16! The rides I went on were:
    • 5x The Swarm
    • 3x Stealth
    • 2x Nemesis Inferno
    • 2x Detonator
    • 1x Saw
    • 1x Colossus
    • 1x Rush
    • 1x Flying Fish
    In terms of some general thoughts, some things I thought would be worth pointing out include:
    • Oktoberfest has been set up very well indeed. Lots of banners about, and there are a lot of different food stands and entertainment areas to look at!
    • Effects-wise, things were top notch, with practically everything working. Everything in Saw’s dark ride section worked, Inferno’s tunnel had working lighting and absolutely tons of mist, the mister by Inferno’s top section of queue was in full working order, and Swarm’s scenery had tons of mist around it. Top job, Thorpe!
    • In terms of throughputs, I logged the 5 main coasters’ throughputs to be as follows, in order of highest to lowest; Swarm was 975pph, Stealth was 834pph, Inferno was 830pph, Saw was 702pph and Colossus was 651pph. Everything was running 2 trains, and Saw was running many cars. Operations were really good today!
    • Rush was only running on one swing for the entire day. I got quite lucky and rode it while there was only a minimal queue, but it had one of the longest queues on park all day because of it. I never knew S&S Screamin’ Swings could run only one swing; is this likely because of a technical issue, or is it more likely to be merely an operational decision by the park?
    All in all, though; I had an absolutely outstanding day today! Thanks, Thorpe!
    P.S. I did write a trip report, if you’d like a more in-depth analysis: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/thorpe-park-7th-september-2021.5909/#post-337193

MakoMania likes this.
  8. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

If there’s 2 hosts on the platform one host would still check 4 rows and the other check 3 so I think 6 rows would make a bigger difference, I maybe completely wrong of course as I’m going of what happens with swarm.

9. Rob F

Rob F TowersStreet Member

Rush will be a maintenance issue if just on 1 swing.

it always operates 2 swings where it can, staffing levels for 1/2 swings are the same

jon81uk and Matt N like this.
  10. MakoMania

So with the mystery 2024 coaster seemingly in development and general planning application movement for the resort last year, it seems Merlin do have plans for Thorpe. In that regard, do we expect any additions at the park for the 2022 season? Or even 2023?

Matt N, imanautie and JAperson like this.
  11. imanautie

I expect they will do smaller big things first like infinity.

12. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

I'm not sure we'll get much however I suspect we'll get something small and simple and on the scale of black mirror laberninth. If Alton get some flat rides there's a good chance thorpe will get one too as they will likely get them in bulk.

13. Rob F

Im thinking when did thorpe actually get new ride hardware ??? Darren Brown ?

jon81uk and JAperson like this.
  14. MakoMania

I mean they received Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump in 2017 if you count those, but other than that yeah it was in 2016.

15. Rob F

That was 2nd hand lol

16. MakoMania

I know, it was still new to the park though so it depends how you see it. In any case, they need something soon!

jon81uk and JAperson like this.
  17. imanautie

talking about ops, has anyone else noticed they now appear to have officially stopped doing the "all bars clear, ready for dispatch" vocal announcement? I haven't been able to do inferior during park vibes much (too boomy) but noticed it on a few goes this season so far.

18. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Random question; have Thorpe Park ever used this Saw exit announcement, where it's spoken by a policeman over a walkie talkie?:

(If the auto-embed doesn't work, skip to 31:17)

I only ask because I've never heard it; the exit announcement I always hear on Saw is Jigsaw speaking to you again, saying something along the lines of "Congratulations, you are still alive. Most people are so ungrateful for their life, but not you. Not anymore."...

19. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Yep pretty certain I remember that. Used to occasionally get scare actors in the exit ramp too.

Matt N likes this.
  20. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    On another Saw-related question; do cars vary substantially between one another in terms of roughness?

I only ask because I can’t seem to identify a row-based rule based on my experiences with Saw. I’ve heard many say that the front is rougher than the back, but oddly, the fairly OK ride I had on it on Tuesday (a bit rough in places, but nowhere near as bad as usual) was in back centre, yet the most brutally rough ride I’ve ever had on it, back in 2020, was also back centre; possibly the exact same seat, in fact…

For some idea, the front centre ride I had in July was quite rough, but not the roughest I’ve had on Saw by any stretch.

Skyscraper and JAperson like this.