• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tivoli Gardens: General Discussion

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
Spotted some news about an expansion for Tivoli Gardens over on Screamscape, so I thought I'd make a topic on here about it. Here's what's happening next year:

2013 - New Attractions - (11/6/12) Tivoli Gardens have announced a 600 sq. meter expansion for the 2013 season that will also feature a new ride and revised attractions like the kiddie drop tower. A rethemed version of Den Lille Flyver will be added giving riders the ability to control the vertical motion, and a new Zamperla Air Race is also said to be added as well. Click here to see an artist rendering of the new expansion area.
Source.

The article points to another website (which Google has translated for me) with much more info and a pwetty picture:

Extends the park: Here's Tivoli three new rides
5784820-tivolis-nye-forlystelsesomrde.jpg

A model of the new entertainment district, which therefore means that Tivoli is 600 m2 larger for next summer (Photo: Tivoli)

Tivoli has just announced that they are expanding garden of 600 square meters, making room for three new rides - including a large one to tens of millions

The new area will be ready for the summer season 2013 and will take up more than 1200 square meters, revealed Tivoli at a news conference Monday morning.

In addition to the large yet unnamed entertainment, there are also two new smaller rides for. All three will be located in a new themed area in the part of Tivoli called 'The Merry Corner'. The theme is inspired by Copenhagen renæssancetid with half-timbered houses, while rides will orbit the stars, galaxies and planets - based on the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe.

To make room for rides, Tivoli forced to discard børnepariserhjulet 'The Big Clock'. In addition, tearing an inspector villa facing Bernstorffsvej down on one of the garden have unused corners and replaced with new houses in Copenhagen style and fountains.

It has taken Tivoli the last two years to plan the new area. The largest of the rides will be Planners for daredevils, since it will be a theme where you sit in eagle wagons and running and spinning around at high speed.

- Last Tivoli got a brand new high was in 2009, when 'Vertigo' wing with 100 km / h into the garden. Since then we have added new experiences in a number of existing rides, but we think the time has come for a boost in our portfolio with brand new entertainment experiences. The new teen entertainment is an exciting addition, because it is both fun and wild, but also unique because its just only a few other places in the world. And we are pleased to also offer new experiences for children, which hopefully learn a little of becoming acquainted with the old Copenhagen, Tycho Brahe and his universe, says CEO of Tivoli, Lars Liebst.

The two small rides will be a small drop tower (as we know from 'The Golden Tower') and the classic 'The Little Fly' in new guise, where the children even with a stick can determine how high they fly.
Source.

:)

The wording of that article makes it sound like Tivoli is physically expanding. I can't see how they could expand out of the park's boundary as it's surrounded on all sides by large roads and buildings. I think it just means they're creating a new area within the park but I could be wrong.

Anyway, it looks like a great new area for the park in line with their usual standard of theming and quality attractions.

That area looks adorable. Very Disney, very Main Street USA! As furie on CF said, it's also got a kinda Jules Verne steampunk look about it. More concept photos and a video:

WCGtG.jpg

bwBAc.jpg

RAqPK.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vZHp8Vm_8U&hd=1[/youtube]

I hope the rumours about Drayton/Mingoland getting an Air Race are true. Coastersandmore have also reported that the park will be adding a Gerstlauer coaster in 2014, rumoured to be a family-thrill launch, like Anubis. Yes please! :)

Posted by Tivoli on Facebook, and spotted by my friend Kian. :)

487497_10151309963447021_1582608365_n.jpg

Looks so gorgeous.

By the way, Tivoli have the best website of any theme park I've seen. Looks more like a site for a boutique hotel than a theme park! Check out this beautiful park map:

GPt2igW.jpg

I think I've finally found a star flyer that I could actually enjoy, though I'd rather sit in the front of a 'car' for better views.

Very stylish map too - though if Daemonen actually had an outside loop that could be pretty horrendous for riders.

Right, a word from Tivoli on their attitude:

"Tivoli is much more than a fun place to visit – it is also a modern company with a dedicated CSR polity that seeks to integrate a viable mix of financially feasible operations with responsible conduct towards guests, employees, the environment and the park's cultural heritage."

Their hotel?

Nimb_Forside.jpg

http://www1.tivoli.dk/composite-7553.htm

This place is something else. Not only does it put Merlin to shame, it utterly obliterates them, especially with their horrendous opening/building/"hotel" investments etc.

Just look at that. They have classical music festivals there too. Clearly doesn't work does it? Must stick to the lowest denominator possible over here and give the public no credit.

Seriously Merlin, wake up.

EDIT:

Oh for those of a more, contemporary taste, you can visit this too:

http://www.fredagsrock.dk/en/

Tivoli is barely a theme park. It's more of a national cultural institution, crossed with historical gardens, with a few rides chucked in for good measure. It's in the city-centre of one of Europe's most culturally cosmopolitan capitals, whereas none of Merlin's parks are. To compare it to Merlin as a chance to slag the latter off is ridiculous.

Sam said:
Tivoli is barely a theme park. It's more of a national cultural institution, crossed with historical gardens, with a few rides chucked in for good measure. It's in the city-centre of one of Europe's most culturally cosmopolitan capitals, whereas none of Merlin's parks are. To compare it to Merlin as a chance to slag the latter off is ridiculous.

Alton Towers.

Two words that completely negate that entire paragraph. Also, since when did a town simply become cultural - I suppose it happened by accident?

Give them some credit. There is zero reason this can not be done over here. Comparing this to crash pad etc is absolutely relevant also - unless London is not supposed to be a major cultural centre of course?

It is an Apples with Apples comparison. You have LONDON for goodness sake man, and Alton Tower's with historical listed gardens etc, what more cultural backgrounds would you like exactly?

More than deserve their criticism.

Daemonen-550x360.jpg

Odinexpressen-550x360.jpg

Himmelskibet1-550x360.jpg

Right.... barely a Theme Park.

In size terms it reminds me of American Adventure, and also, apparently with a new multi million pound coaster rumored, and the brilliant themes of those kids rides.

Against a company with multi-billion pound backers, whom which are being lauded for repainting a ride...

I am not turning this into Tivoli Vs Merlin, but that just proves what can be done, and I can still find no reason why Merlin do not do it either... other than the floatation etc of course...

Some news about Tivoli from my friend Kian. :)

Kian said:
Tivoli just announced that they will rebuild the original 'mountain tops' on the old 'Rutschebanen' in 2014, celebrating it's 100 years of operation.

Here's how it looked back in 1914:

8O0oOrE.jpg

So, for 2014, an epic sounding new Gerst and a refurbishment of their oldest coaster! :D

Kian also reports that the Huss Flic Flac ride 'Dragen' is leaving, probably to make way for the new coaster. :)

Spotted by my friend Kian.

Tivoli said:
1392588_10151703764197021_1929570259_n.jpg

Once we have shot the new year in, going about 40 artisans in the process of reversing the roller coaster to its original appearance. The roller coaster, which is one of the world's oldest trærutschebaner, rounds 100 years in 2014! To mark the occasion we clashed over two Restores original Alpine peaks that were previously forlystelsens landmark. Read more: http://bit.ly/1hMEcRo (Translated by Bing)

It's funny that they're rebuilding the peaks that were removed in 1920 on a 1914 ride! :p

The original peaks were deemed too obtrusive by the Copenhagen council at the time since it was the first thing many visitors to the city via train would see...

Such a good ride as well, can't wait to see what they do with it...

Construction update from CoasterClubDenmark on the Refurbanen, taken by my good friend Kian Kronvang. :)

1606862_407853249317728_380958378_n.jpg

1013223_407853259317727_12502263_n.jpg

1521750_407853255984394_634421841_n.jpg

15088_407853302651056_279683686_n.jpg

1013964_407853332651053_1810818525_n.jpg

And a bit of background reading on the project, in Tivoli's own words...

1544576_407422452694141_854622072_n.jpg

On the subject of Tivoli, I was sifting through some travel documents left by my grandmother dated between 1944 and 1956 and I came across an old Copenhagen and Sealand tourism booklet which had some old Tivoli advertising in it, which I can attempt to take photos of to go online if anybody is even remotely interested. I don't know if my grandmother actually went there but sadly it's been several years too late for me to ask.

Some photos from Tivoli themselves!

68382_10151872921727021_1667929500_n.jpg

1619301_10151872921737021_1577957373_n.jpg

558296_10151872921732021_462300927_n.jpg

1555418_10151843758632021_1857389838_n.jpg

What a lovely project! Also, magical shot of the park in the snow...

1551492_10151888150452021_460924151_n.jpg

Screamscape said:
Park News - (10/30/14) Tivoli has received unanimous approval by the City of Copenhagen’s technical and environmental committee for a plan to make a dramatic overhaul to look of the park’s main entrance area. This has been an ongoing project for the park since 2008, originally launched under the name “Tivoli Edge” and have since refined their design over the years to get to this point to add a more modern facade as well as shops and restaurants to create something that would benefit the area year-round.

Hmmmm. Not a big fan to be honest. Doesn't really seem to blend with the park's 18th century aesthetic.

This has been posted by TheCoasterCruiser over on CoasterForce:
TheCoasterCruiser said:
Was just told that Tivoli is investing an impressive DKK 100 million (EUR 13.5 million) in a new ride for 2016.
Considering the price tag, I think we can assume that this will be the new long awaited coaster.

At this moment nothing more is known than that it will be located where the former "Dragen" flat ride was.

Something worth keeping an eye on.

Well 2016 didn't see a new coaster as thought. They did get a new style Huss Condor thingy (Fatamorgana) though with different riding positions however I cannot believe that it cost over €13 million.

Anyway, I'm afraid that I have some terrible news to share with you all. Tivoli have announced that they plan to ruin Daemonen by adding PFR (pointless faffy reality).
Tivoli said:
First time in Denmark!
Imagine being strapped into a wild roller coaster at 80 km per hour, exposed to 4G, passing through three loops and experiencing a physical drop of 20 meters. The experience will soon become even wilder with a virtual reality tour of fire-breathing dragons, demons and exploding fireworks taken from ancient Chinese mythology.

The journey into virtual reality starts as soon as you put on your headset. Enjoy the ride, because now there is no turning back!

Please note:
A virtual reality-ride in the Demon is optional and will cost 25 DKK in addition to the normal ticket price.

daemonen-tivoli-gardens-vr-coaster-artwork-620x350.jpg

I am so sorry that I have to post this news; it is always sad when another park falls victim to the PFR fad.

In all seriousness, I have no idea how this is going to work on Daemonen. It looks like they plan to operate it in a similar way to EP in terms of the upcharge but I can't think where a seperate queue might go. The VR is being done by VR Coaster (i.e. Mack).

I managed to visit Tivoli in November last year and it really is a beautiful park with some decent rides. Still gutted that I did not go on Vertigo though, if only I knew at the time that you did not have to go backwards!