• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Totally Drag - Event and Convention - 7th May 2022

tayspru

TS Member

https://www.totallydrag.co.uk/

Just announced, there looks set to be a Drag event at Alton Towers starring Drag Race U.K. Season 1 winner The Vivienne. You can make a deposit for a SL room now , with more details on the event coming at a later date.

Details are scarce but it seems like there is a daytime “convention” and an evening show mostly at the hotels, but could this be Towers testing the waters for a Pride event ?

Ill be there!

I think this is just an event that is hiring out the convention centre and some hotel rooms that happens to be Drag. It’s not specifically Alton Towers testing the waters.

They have all sorts of events throughout the year including the Strictly weekends, Dance competitions, the nudest weekend etc, I wouldn’t particularly read anything more into it.

Last edited:
Yeah this has got nothing to do with the park at all. Its just a private hire of the conference centre. I expect the waterpark will be packed on Sunday 15th May though, as that is included in the ticket price.

This is almost certainly a private hire event. The big giveaway is that it's not called the Fabtacular Dragfest 2022 at Alton Towers Resort, or similar.

I think it's probably wise for Alton/Merlin to keep pride-adjacent and queer events in the hands of external companies, who are better suited to understand the communities who gravitate towards them.

Years ago, I managed to schedule my family's annual trip to Alton on the exact day that they would host a Christian Rock concert in the car park, then did it again a year later! The giveaway second-time round was lots of very polite groups of young people wearing Jester hats, and shirts saying, "ROCK HAS RISEN!" Give me the Queens any day. Or the nudists!

Last edited:
I couldn’t imagine Towers putting on a decent drag show with the current state of on-resort entertainment.

Oktoberfest is actually showing that they can put on decent entertainment. Just in the park not the hotels!

but this event is completely external organised by Totally Drag, same as the Dancing with the Stars weekends that are organised by Donheys

Category is: previous Alton Towers Hotel legends from the glory days.

B8pacvm.jpg

So Alton Towers have announced a show on Saturday 7th May called Totally Drag. It will feature some well known drag queens mainly from Ru Paul's Drag Race and they are offering in a package from £99: a night at Splash Landings, a ticket to the waterpark, a full English breakfast and discounted entry to the park as well as the Drag show. Meet and Greets are available as an upcharge. As I have never watched Ru Paul's Drag Race I can't really comment on what the show will be about, I understand it is men dressed as women with fancy costumes and lots of makeup but if anyone can explain further I would love to know. Is this something that could catch on and become an annual event? Link to the booking site here: https://www.totallydrag.co.uk/

So Alton Towers have announced a show on Saturday 7th May called Totally Drag. It will feature some well known drag queens mainly from Ru Paul's Drag Race and they are offering in a package from £99: a night at Splash Landings, a ticket to the waterpark, a full English breakfast and discounted entry to the park as well as the Drag show. Meet and Greets are available as an upcharge. As I have never watched Ru Paul's Drag Race I can't really comment on what the show will be about, I understand it is men dressed as women with fancy costumes and lots of makeup but if anyone can explain further I would love to know. Is this something that could catch on and become an annual event? Link to the booking site here: https://www.totallydrag.co.uk/
Like last year's event the organisers will be hiring the convention centre and a few hotel rooms, it's not Towers putting the event on themselves. :)

Last edited:
As I have never watched Ru Paul's Drag Race I can't really comment on what the show will be about, I understand it is men dressed as women with fancy costumes and lots of makeup but if anyone can explain further I would love to know
Some drag queens do comedy, some sing live, some lip-sync to songs while dancing, some are just weird and kooky, some are hosts and emcees.
It will be a very mixed cabaret show, there will be lip syncs and insult comedy (known as reading) but maybe some live singing and other stuff too.

Although having had a look at the event I’m personally put off that it’s a five hour afternoon show that is all standing. Evening show is only around four hours so that’s about right similar to watching a drag show in a bar for an evening. Also not sure if I want to watch drag for that amount of time!
Pricing is a bit off too, £59 just for the show, or £396 for a room at Splash Landings, show, breakfast, waterpark for four people, but no discount if you only have two in a room, as you don’t need as many show tickets it should be £295 for two in a room really.

Although having had a look at the event I’m personally put off that it’s a five hour afternoon show that is all standing. Evening show is only around four hours so that’s about right similar to watching a drag show in a bar for an evening. Also not sure if I want to watch drag for that amount of time!
Pricing is a bit off too, £59 just for the show, or £396 for a room at Splash Landings, show, breakfast, waterpark for four people, but no discount if you only have two in a room, as you don’t need as many show tickets it should be £295 for two in a room really.
It’s a convention style set up so you’ll be able to meet a lot of the queens at their booths too, drag race fans have very deep pockets for this sort of thing.

Also more generally speaking, drag is expensive so the ticket prices more than compensate the artists. I’m fairly new to the drag scene and I’ve easily spent thousands on costumes and makeup - that’s before you factor in the time we spend coming up with performances, the time to get ready and refine the skills. Then on top of that some of these girls will have very high booking fees as celebrities in their own right

It’s a convention style set up so you’ll be able to meet a lot of the queens at their booths too, drag race fans have very deep pockets for this sort of thing.

Also more generally speaking, drag is expensive so the ticket prices more than compensate the artists. I’m fairly new to the drag scene and I’ve easily spent thousands on costumes and makeup - that’s before you factor in the time we spend coming up with performances, the time to get ready and refine the skills. Then on top of that some of these girls will have very high booking fees as celebrities in their own right
Doesn’t mention the convention parts on the website? So if there is that they could sell it better, also meet & greets are listed as an extra cost so it’s not clear if they will be doing individual meets.

Oh the £59 price is very reasonable, I’ve paid £20 to see one act for an hour before so £59 for 8 hours with multiple big names is fine. It’s just the room package that seems off, day tickets for four is £236 so the room is only £160 but for two people day tickets would be £118 so the room is effectively £278 as the package is always £396.

Doesn’t mention the convention parts on the website? So if there is that they could sell it better, also meet & greets are listed as an extra cost so it’s not clear if they will be doing individual meets.

Oh the £59 price is very reasonable, I’ve paid £20 to see one act for an hour before so £59 for 8 hours with multiple big names is fine. It’s just the room package that seems off, day tickets for four is £236 so the room is only £160 but for two people day tickets would be £118 so the room is effectively £278 as the package is always £396.
The website is definitely very basic compared to the Instagram / social media. Drag has become it’s own industry now and Instagram is the main Avenue for information. There’s also lots of vendors and sellers there too

I’m gutted I can’t make it

The website is definitely very basic compared to the Instagram / social media. Drag has become it’s own industry now and Instagram is the main Avenue for information. There’s also lots of vendors and sellers there too

I’m gutted I can’t make it

Maybe I’m old then, but when buying tickets for something I think all the information on what I’m buying should be on the website where I am paying for it. Just doesn’t sell it as being a professional well-run event. But then many pride events are also similar I guess!

Maybe I’m old then, but when buying tickets for something I think all the information on what I’m buying should be on the website where I am paying for it. Just doesn’t sell it as being a professional well-run event. But then many pride events are also similar I guess!
It’s catered to the target market - the product on offer is the queens themselves so Instagram is the primary mode of research / information

That’s brilliant to here. So glad it went well! It’s nice to have another event to the line up even though Towers haven’t advertised it. I’m guessing this is only due ot incase something goes wrong though. But non the less, glad it’s another event to the line up.