Towers Loving Care

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randomizer462, 21st Dec 2015.

1. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

They even had them open on Sunday could get inside and have a proper look. Never been in the conservatories before :hearteyes:

BarryZola likes this.
  2. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    The problem is 95% of the visitors don't care about such improvements, however I like nothing better than a walk through the gardens on a nice day. It really is a stunning setting.

The TLC scheme/project is brilliant. I only wish they had ten times the budget they currently get. Then the park would return to it's former glory.

NemeTime, Matt N, MaxPower and 3 others like this.
  3. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yeah, refreshments, wether that be a small cart for snacks, tea, coffee, whatever would be a nice addition, I just don't think the costs of staffing would allow them any profit on any such additions.

I'll admit, even I don't venture into the gardens at all that much, but that's mainly because the people who I go with aren't interested in going in them. If there was some sort of cafe etc., then maybe, but at the moment, the gardens just don't seem to have any appeal to the majority of Towers visitors to justify any investment other than resortation which incidently was only done so the Resort could build Wicker Man.

Sauron97, MaxPower and BarryZola like this.
  4. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

One of my favourite things in life is the REAL start of summer at Towers. I take a little picnic in my bag along with a roll-up blanket and an old school pocket radio. I've got a special little place overlooking the Pagoda slightly away from the paths and I just have a nice relax having a lie down and stuff for a couple of hours. Sweet.

5. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Conservatories and pagoda fountain do look amazing now

6. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

The important thing to remember is the ONLY reason Merlin have spent money on the Pagoda Fountain & the Conservatories is because they have had it forced on them as part of Section 108 agreements. These are agreements they have to enter into to spend money on heritage restoration in return for planning consent for new developments / rides. Had these agreements not been forced upon Merlin it would be bare-minimum health & safety work to keep the structures standing (much like with the Towers ruins).

That said, the job they have done on the Prospect Tower, Pagoda Fountain & Conservatories is excellent. (It has to be as they can only hire certain heavily vetted contractors to do the heritage restoration work).

MattyH, NemeTime, DiogoJ42 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ollie

Ollie TowersStreet Member

I rode Duel today and appreciated the new soundtrack and a few of the improvements to the ride itself. I agree that the new portrait TVs are a little too bright and don’t fit in well with the old portraits that remain. Overall I definitely enjoyed the ride more and it is nice that some work has been done.

What seems to have been missed however is very basic ‘TLC’ such as removing chewing gum from the walls and carpets, paintwork around the queue and exits etc that make the ride look generally shabby, which is disappointing.

8. Britford

Britford TowersStreet Member

I have to ask, what was wrong with the original 90s soundtrack?

JB1985 likes this.
  9. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    I love Duel but wishful hey would have restored it more to haunted house than it’s current state. Something to get people in that immersive queue. The original atmosphere and smells were amazing

With regard to the conservatories they look amazing well worth a look when I pop along this week. First visit in two season prepared to be disappointed there needs to be some glimmer of hope

10. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    Nothing, but new is always better.

/sarcasm

11. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Nothing, but I see this as what they should have done in the first place with Duel's soundtrack (a la Tomb Blaster's full score), rather than using the same two tracks all over the ride.

jon81uk likes this.
  12. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

I love the original Haunted House music but the Haunted House is gone, in the sense that it's not really hitting the same mark any more or has the same payoff. Even if they renamed it Haunted House and took the guns out, it would need a lot of work and updating, to make it do what the Haunted House did in its best years. To be honest I don't trust Merlin to come up with a ride like that at all.

So I think it's right they create a new score, plus it's a creative challenge for the composer rather than always reusing old tracks, and was pulled off really well I think. It's not your cliched haunted house spoopy music at all and progresses around the ride really nicely

However I visited recently and a few of the scenes sounded off. The tunnel and spiders, which from when I visited a few weeks back had some of the best music moments. It didn't sound nearly as good this time and there are still many dead spots

You can hear the whole sound system needs a big sorting out, much more than Hex did. Hex needed repairs, but not a completely new sound system. So a strange decision really

I hope that any future money spent on Duel goes not on more DIY additions like the queueline screens, but on finally restoring the proper UV illusions (no LED), fixing the timing of effects & lighting throughout the ride and overhauling the sound effects

Robert.W likes this.
  13. Sauron97

Sauron97 TowersStreet Member

So, something I'd like to know. What is happening with Towers Loving Care now? That is, once the lighting is sorted out on Duel at least...

14. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Presumably the people in charge of TLC will create a list of all the problems across the resort, prioritise them and aim to fix the ones at the top (subject to time and budget). I guess there won't be much done now until the next closed season though

I think they should put the Smiler queue line on the list, and also that road leading down to the hotels... that's a shocking welcome to the hotels when you're paying hundreds of pounds a night!

15. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

... a list of problems ....
    o_O

Let’s hope they have plenty of paper and lots of pens , it’s going to be a long one :eek:

NemeTime, DW_0505, spinba11 and 4 others like this.
  16. Sauron97

Sauron97 TowersStreet Member

You may as well write the bible if we're going there... but on the subject...remember it was a 3 year scheme from 2015. That's what I'm concerned about. They've done their "we care about the resort and have done a long term scheme to bring it to a world class standard" charade. Maybe that's it after Duel and we will watch everything rot/continue to rot all over again.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  17. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

TLC have still got Twirling Toadstool to transform and Charlie was shut due to the “TLC” but all mention of that has disappeared.

https://www.altontowers.com/theme-park/twirling-toadstool/

jon81uk likes this.
  18. dickie001x

dickie001x TowersStreet Member

...and Nemesis ST.

19. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    N:ST isn't due to TLC though, is it? I thought the park were billing it as "mysterious activity underground" or something.

Skyscraper and TheAverageNerd like this.
  20. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    The Twirling Toadstool job is so big it is taking 2 1/2 years. It's going to be beyond anything you would ever imagine once the work is complete.

Merlin's plans for the ride are sensational.

MPDarby, jon81uk, NemeTime and 15 others like this.