• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Coaster Building Contest 2021/22: Winners Declared (Competition Ended 12th May)

OK, everybody; you’ve got approximately 1 day, 16 hours and 20 minutes left to vote for your favourite layouts, if you haven’t voted already!

OK, everybody; voting for Round 2 is now closed, and the winners have been declared!

Our victors for this round are as follows:
And the overall leaderboard for Round 2 is as follows:
  1. @Matt.GC - 38 points overall, 2 Realism points, 0 Originality points
  2. @RicketyCricket - 27 points overall, 0 Realism points, 0 Originality points
  3. @Poisson - 18 points overall, 0 Realism points, 0 Originality points
  4. @Connor98 - 16 points overall, 1 Realism points, 1 Originality points
  5. @Burbs - 15 points overall, 2 Realism points, 0 Originality points
  6. @Matt878787 - 12 points overall, 1 Realism points, 0 Originality points
  7. @Matt N - 10 points overall, 3 Realism points, 1 Originality points
  8. @Thameslink Rail - 9 points overall, 0 Realism points, 7 Originality points
  9. @JAperson - 1 points overall, 0 Realism points, 0 Originality points
  10. @mo237 - 0 points overall, 0 Realism points, 0 Originality points
Well done, everybody; great round!

With that in mind, a new round is upon us; Round 3 has now begun! And your context for this round is... SW9 at Alton Towers!
  • Context: The coveted SW series at Alton Towers is awaiting a new entry. The park has spent years concocting unique, thrilling coasters for this series, and it’s your job to design SW9. But this isn't just any SW9 design job; you've been given a tight plot of land within Forbidden Valley to work with, and the park wants to boost its average ride length and shun its reputation for building short coasters. This plot is tighter than that of any other current SW, so when combined with the required length and Alton's tree line height limit, it'll certainly be a challenge... what will you come up with?
  • Constraints: Maximum Height 72ft/22m (the same as Alton's current tallest coaster... you need to keep below the tree line!), Minimum Length 2,480ft/840m (the current mean length of Alton's big 7 coasters), Maximum Footprint 108ft/33m*589ft/180m (the approximate dimensions of the FV area I had in mind), Minimum Capacity 1,200pph (Alton is the UK's biggest theme park, so this ride needs to be able to shift a queue)
In terms of the area I had in mind, this is a rough illustration of it in Google Earth, with the approximate area I'm thinking of being outlined in black and marked "SW9":
Round-3-SW9-Area.png

I picked this particular area because it's been commonly talked about in the SW9 thread, and it's quite a tight plot, so I thought it might be a fun one to try!

Here is the Steam Workshop template park for this round, in case you're struggling to get the footprint right: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2772151328

So that's Round 3; get building, everybody! Your Round 3 submission deadline is Tuesday 15th March 2022 at 11:59pm.

If you have any questions or anything that isn't clear to you, please don't hesitate to ask me!

Name: Archermav
Game: Planet Coaster PC (All DLC)
Great stuff; you’re in!

The only thing to bear in mind is that you are at a disadvantage compared to players who started at the start, as you’re lacking rounds 1 & 2, but that doesn’t mean you can’t gain some ground!

A couple of questions Matt:

Can we excavate as long as we don't go above 22m? All of Towers SW's other than Thirteen have required excavation so far so I presume this ok (and probably expected) as long as we don't go nuts (I would probably draw the line at something of the scale of the Nemesis pit).

Can we go outside of the area marked as long as we don't go further east (into the gardens), South (into the Valley) and don't interfere with the operation of Nemesis, Galactica RCR or the Monorail? I know we have a footprint measurement but would it be OK to breach it as long as we don't break the above rules?

I'm probably sounding petty.

Can we excavate as long as we don't go above 22m? All of Towers SW's other than Thirteen have required excavation so far so I presume this ok (and probably expected) as long as we don't go nuts (I would probably draw the line at something of the scale of the Nemesis pit).

Can we go outside of the area marked as long as we don't go further east (into the gardens), South (into the Valley) and don't interfere with the operation of Nemesis, Galactica RCR or the Monorail? I know we have a footprint measurement but would it be OK to breach it as long as we don't break the above rules?

Thirteen did require excavation actually; They dug a big hole where the station is in order to install the drop track. 🙂

Last edited:

Not petty at all; quite understandable questions, in fact!
  • In answer to your first question; yes, excavation is allowed provided you don’t exceed 72ft in height above ground level. I’ve done a little excavation myself, even; I never said you weren’t allowed to dig. Just bear in mind that excavation may change the listed height of an element, as height is terrain relative by default in the game. So if an element height goes to above 72ft when excavated, this doesn’t matter as long as it wasn’t above 72ft pre-excavation. If you use my template, it shouldn’t let you build much above 72ft (if at all above 72ft) anyway, as I set a height limit. But in summary; yes, you can excavate as much as you like. If excavation wasn’t allowed, I think this round would be a challenge!
  • In answer to your second question; I’ll admit I’m unsure on that one. For the sake of fairness, I’m leaning towards no; giving everyone the same footprint to work with levels the playing field, whereas if some people use extra space and some don’t, then you enter a bit of a grey area in terms of uniform constraints and whether it’s actually a fair contest. I apologise if that sounds incredibly petty, and if there’s huge backlash to my decision, then I’m willing to reconsider, but I would personally like to keep things fair and have the rigid area, if that’s all right with you. Besides, after the last round with a tight spot produced some really interesting creations, I’d be very intrigued to see what you all do with a tighter area!

That's fine, just wondering in case a turnaround or something can go outside the area (not the main body of the coaster) but I'm prefectly happy to go with the rules. I'll get measuring.

Am I right in saying that setting the height marker to Sea Level rather than Terrain Relative gives you the actual height?

Am I right in saying that setting the height marker to Sea Level rather than Terrain Relative gives you the actual height?
I’m not sure on that one. I think it would make the height higher, actually, so I’d recommend Terrain Relative. Terrain Relative is what I’ve used, anyway.

Well, once again I have sat down and built what i deemed to be good enough within just 2 hours :tearsofjoy: Maybe not perfect but its just a bit of fun!
So early once again, here is my round 3 entry for SW9...

I have attached the stats of the coaster below. It is a Mack double launch coaster, Named : Tiban (sorry icon!)
Runs 3 Trains, I have not calculated the exact throughput but I'm pretty sure it easily eclipses the 1200ph mark.

Attachments

• Tiban.png
    Tiban.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 11
Well, once again I have sat down and built what i deemed to be good enough within just 2 hours :tearsofjoy: Maybe not perfect but its just a bit of fun!
So early once again, here is my round 3 entry for SW9...

I have attached the stats of the coaster below. It is a Mack double launch coaster, Named : Tiban (sorry icon!)
Runs 3 Trains, I have not calculated the exact throughput but I'm pretty sure it easily eclipses the 1200ph mark.

Wow; brilliant submission @Connor98! Very smooth profiling, and some fun looking elements too!

I too now have a submission ready... say hello to Overlord, a double launch coaster:
Overlord-Entrance.png

Overlord-Layout-Overview.png

In terms of stats, they are as follows:
  • Name: Overlord
  • Manufacturer: Intamin
  • Type: LSM Launch Coaster
  • Height: 72ft/22m
  • Speed: 60mph/97kph
  • Length: 3,715ft/1,132m
  • Inversions: 3
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4.8G (overall), 4.1G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.5G (overall), -1.2G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 3 trains with 5 cars/20 riders
  • Throughput: 1,828pph
The ride has a loose military theme, with Overlord being a military operation to try and bring down the Nemesis monster.

Here's a Steam Workshop link, if you'd like to download Overlord for yourself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2776320065

So, that's my Round 3 submission! I hope you like it!

Last edited: