• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2022/23: Winners Declared (contest ended 18th March)

Thorpe Park have been keeping an eye on the coaster scene and were really impressed at the IAAPA reveal of the Surf Coaster. The only snag is they had a budget of their profits over the last 10 years. With design services by Garmendale, track by Taziker and trains by Kumbak, this is Colossus' Revenge, how to do a standup coaster on a budget and make Colossus look comfy and smooth. It would have a throughput of 1,920pph but I imagine Thorpe would have it on 1 train making it roughly 425pph.

1669546798878.png

1669546885849.png

1669547293023.png

Thorpe Park have been keeping an eye on the coaster scene and were really impressed at the IAAPA reveal of the Surf Coaster. The only snag is they had a budget of their profits over the last 10 years. With design services by Garmendale, track by Taziker and trains by Kumbak, this is Colossus' Revenge, how to do a standup coaster on a budget and make Colossus look comfy and smooth. It would have a throughput of 1,920pph but I imagine Thorpe would have it on 1 train making it roughly 425pph.

1669546798878.png

1669546885849.png

1669547293023.png

Excellent submission @Poisson! There are some really fun looking inversions in there, and I have to say that a stand up coaster is a very novel response to the brief!

OK, folks; you have about 3.5 days left to build your Round 4 submission and vote for your Round 3 favourites.

We have had 3 submissions out of a potential 12 for Round 4 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 3, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

There have been 6 responses to the Round 3 Google Form so far, including my own. If you have not voted for your Round 3 favourites yet, here is the Google Form link if you would like to do so: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScWIw5_uqR6Z7CqHOhQUzp4EmBW0gMakgTO_ExD_IRQy5_kfw/viewform

@Matt N I've just gone to cast my votes for the last round and noticed my submission video (Top Thrill Slagster) has been missed out on the Google form.

It's there as an option to vote for but no video. Just thought I'd point that out

@Matt N I've just gone to cast my votes for the last round and noticed my submission video (Top Thrill Slagster) has been missed out on the Google form.

It's there as an option to vote for but no video. Just thought I'd point that out
I couldn’t put it into the form itself because your video is not on YouTube, therefore Google seemed to have issues accepting it as an integrated video. I posted it in the Week 4 Weekly Digest post on the forum along with everyone else’s videos, but Google didn’t seem to like me integrating yours into the form itself, so I’m afraid I couldn’t put it in.

Believe me, I tried, but Google wouldn’t budge. This was also the case with your submission last week, and I assure you that it did not appear to affect your Round 2 points, if it’s any consolation.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience. If this is going to continue to be a problem in future weeks, I would be more than happy to upload your video to YouTube for you. If you’d like me to do this, just get in touch with me either in this thread or via PM.

No need to apologise Matt, I suspected that were the case.

Struggling a bit with the current brief, multi inversion coasters always look a bit messy.

Attempted an X2 type ride but soon gave up on that idea. Dont have the patience to set the seat angles!

Attempted an X2 type ride but soon gave up on that idea. Dont have the patience to set the seat angles!
I don’t blame you there. I can tell you from first hand experience that 4D coasters are very tough to get right; I built one in a park once, and it took a lot of trial and error.

They’re certainly not a ride type for the faint hearted!

Building upon the comment that @RicketyCricket made about struggling with this week’s brief, but also on other people’s comments in previous rounds, can I just ask; are people finding the briefs too hard this year?

I only ask because some have expressed that they have experienced difficulty with some briefs this year. If you guys feel that they are too hard, I can absolutely make future rounds a bit easier. I try to have a balance between easier and harder rounds, but if some of this contest’s hard rounds have been a bit too hard, then I can absolutely take that on board and make the contest a bit easier from here.

With the current one it's just a personal case of Planet Coaster 'writers block'.
Oh, I know that struggle. Aside from this contest, I’m currently suffering from a terrible case of it with my own personal projects; I’ve completed no new areas on any of my personal park projects since March 2022.

When I mention it being tough, I mean it as a compliment Matt. It's a "challenge" after all. The more challenge, the more fun. Otherwise everyone will just be building hyper coasters every week. Keep them coming Matt. In fact, the reason I haven't posted yet is because this round is quite lenient on restrictions which means everything I've built so far has been too formulaic and boring.

I was going to think of vomit related names for this since it's supposed to be a response to Sik but thought better of it (even though I named my last one after Ron Jeremy, so selective decency standards from me).

I basically just tried to solve all the problems of real life Colossus. So it's now high capacity as opposed to about 10pph, it's a nice reliable B&M, the airtime actually works, it has comfy clamshell lap bars as opposed to turture devices and has 1 more inversion than Sik and real life Colossus. Plus a classic B&M pre drop because I cringe every time I hear the suffering of colussus' lift hill at Thorpe.

Name: Colossal
Airtime count: 6
Inversions: 11
Capacity: Runs 3 trains of 32 and despatches one every 52 seconds.

Last edited:
I was going to think of vomit related names for this since it's supposed to be a response to Sik but thought better of it (even though I named my last one after Ron Jeremy, so selective decency standards from me).

I basically just tried to solve all the problems of real life Colossus. So it's now high capacity as opposed to about 10pph, it's a nice reliable B&M, the airtime actually works, it has comfy clamshell lap bars as opposed to turture devices and has 1 more inversion than Sik and real life Colossus. Plus a classic B&M pre drop because I cringe every time I hear the suffering of colussus' lift hill at Thorpe.

Name: Colossal
Airtime count: 6
Capacity: Runs 3 trains of 32 and despatches one every 52 seconds.

Brilliant submission @Matt.GC! The inversions look great, the many airtime moments look awesome and certainly spice up the original Colossus layout, and I must say that your ride is also very smooth!

For the rest of you; remember that only 1 day remains if you want to do a submission for Round 4. I’m only reminding because I’ve noticed that we’re still somewhat thin on the ground submissions-wise for Round 4.

Last edited:
Finally tired of Alton Towers keeping the inversion record, Thorpe Park return to Intamin to get them to build an even more Sik-inducing coaster than Colossus already was. Presenting to you Colossus' successor, Champion, a 16 inversion vomit comet.

It's sik bro.

Name: Champion
Type: Intamin Looping Coaster
Length: 4867ft
Height: 161ft
Top speed: 68mph
Inversions: 16
Airtime: 5 (1.5s)

My entry:

Layout image.png

Type: Mack Megacoaster
Length: 4322ft
Height: 200ft
Top speed: 71mph
Airtime moments: 4 (according to PlanCo)
Theoretical Throughput: 962pph

Great submission @Burbs; the inversions looks great fun, and I’m also a big fan of the airtime-filled finale!

Excellent submission @RicketyCricket; it’s a very original response, and I have to admit that I like your custom inversions!
Finally tired of Alton Towers keeping the inversion record, Thorpe Park return to Intamin to get them to build an even more Sik-inducing coaster than Colossus already was. Presenting to you Colossus' successor, Champion, a 16 inversion vomit comet.

It's sik bro.

Awesome submission @Archermav! I have to say, your custom inversions are excellent, and you’ve gotten a lot out of only one lift hill!

It's sik bro.

I'm gassed bruh!