• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet’s Favourite Rollercoasters in Germany

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. As many of you may know, I run a coaster poll each year ranking TowersStreet’s favourite rollercoasters (if you don’t know how that works, here’s a link to the last poll I ran: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/towersstreets-favourite-coasters-of-2020.5601/). However, I fancied doing something a little more confined, and going a little smaller in terms of the data pool of potential roller coasters to be ranked. There’s already a UK coaster ranking topic on here, and I think a poll may even have been done before, but it is worth remembering that as well as an Alton Towers fansite, TowersStreet is also a Europa Park fansite. So I thought that it might be fun to work out TowersStreet’s Favourite Rollercoasters in Germany!

I think Germany could be an interesting one to do for numerous reasons. With us being a Europa Park fansite, encompassing EuropaStreet as well as TowersStreet, a decent proportion of our members are likely to have at very least been to Germany at some point. Also, unlike a potential UK list, where the vast majority of the lists are topped by Nemesis, I think the winner in Germany is perhaps a little more ambiguous. While something like Taron might seem like an obvious candidate on the face of it, I think there’s a fair few other strongly revered coasters in Germany that could potentially have a strong enough blend of good reception and ridership to make the top spot, so I’ll be interested to see which ride comes out on top among our members!

I unfortunately do not have a German list of my own to contribute, having not been to Germany.

But if you have been to Germany, and would like to contribute your own list, then I’ll give you until 30th April 2021 at 11:59pm to get your lists in. I can’t wait to see the results!

1. Der Schwur des Kärnan, Hansa-Park
  2. Wodan Timbur Coaster, Europa-Park
  3. Colossos - Kampf der Giganten, Heide Park
  4. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
  5. Silver Star, Europa-Park
  6. Fluch von Novgorod, Hansa-Park
  7. Taron, Phantasialand
  8. Blue Fire, Europa-Park
  9. Flug der Dämonen, Heide Park
  10. Euro-Mir, Europa-Park

I've only been to 2 German parks, but the best coaster is clear:

Bandit, Movie Park. Simply the greatest coaster there is. Such a unique layout, so smooth and fast. Utterly re-ridable with brilliant ops. I could ride it for days.

I've only been to 2 German parks, but the best coaster is clear:

Bandit, Movie Park. Simply the greatest coaster there is. Such a unique layout, so smooth and fast. Utterly re-ridable with brilliant ops. I could ride it for days.
Have you got a top 10 I could use, out of interest?

I never even thought of Bandit when I was talking about strongly revered coasters in Germany, to tell you the truth, as I often hear it get a lot of hate, but it’s great to hear you like it so much, and it should certainly be an interesting ride to throw into the mix of Germany’s top rollercoasters!

1. Taron
2. Silver Star
3. FLY
4. Wodan
5. Black Mamba
6.. Blue Fire
7. Sky Scream
8. Arthur
9. Colorado Adventure
10. Winjas

1. Taron
2. Wodan
3. Silver Star
4. Blue Fire
5. Colorado Adventure
6. Black Mamba
7. Arthur
8. Eurosat
9. Atlantica Supersplash
10. Winjas

A pretty solid top 10 considering that's from only two parks.

I used to love Europa's mine train but VR killed the throughput so I prefer a casual stroll through the mine, or a ride on the log flume, now.

Taron > Wodan > Black Mamba > the rest

1. Der Schwur des Kärnan, Hansa-Park
  2. Wodan Timbur Coaster, Europa-Park
  3. Colossos - Kampf der Giganten, Heide Park
  4. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
  5. Silver Star, Europa-Park
  6. Fluch von Novgorod, Hansa-Park
  7. Taron, Phantasialand
  8. Blue Fire, Europa-Park
  9. Flug der Dämonen, Heide Park
  10. Euro-Mir, Europa-Park
Silver Star above Taron and Blue Fire?? a crime

Silver Star above Taron and Blue Fire?? a crime
Yep, sorry! I never really used to rate Silver Star that highly, then I had some consistently fantastic rides on it last summer which beds it solidly in my top 15. Taron has some great elements but there's parts of it I find boring, and although Blue Fire is a good coaster, aside from the final inversion there's nothing really that stands out to me. It's also worth noting that I rank my coasters purely on track and train and ignoring any theming or anything that adds to the experience. Otherwise it would be a very different list!

I never even thought of Bandit when I was talking about strongly revered coasters in Germany, to tell you the truth, as I often hear it get a lot of hate, but it’s great to hear you like it so much, and it should certainly be an interesting ride to throw into the mix of Germany’s top rollercoasters!

I'll bite, and give a proper list.

1. Black Mamba
2. Winja's Fear
3. Colorado Adventure
4. Van Helsing's Factory
5. Winja's Force
6. Jimmy Neutron
7. Crazy Temple of the Bat Hawk
8. MP-Xpress
9. Ghost Chasers
10. Backyardigans

Seems several I'd use are either travelling (Alpina Bahn, Looping, WM XXL) or removed (Sommerrodelbahn @ Bottrop)

Best to worst. Silver Star commits the ultimate sin of being dull, which in my book is worse than being memorably bad but interesting.

Hasenhorn Mountain Coaster
Expadition G Force
Wodan
Blue Fire
Karacho
Sky Scream
Euromir
Swiss Bob Run
Eurosat
Arthur
Gsengte Sau
Poseidon
Alpenexpress
Matterhorn Blitz
Atlantica
Pegasus
Mammut
Silver Star

I think he's being sarcastic Matt, Bandit is known for being quite rough I believe and the layout is nothing special (don't quote me on any of this though)

I think he's being sarcastic Matt, Bandit is known for being quite rough I believe and the layout is nothing special (don't quote me on any of this though)
All I'm gonna say is I've never seen Poisson keeled over in pain like that after having ridden any rollercoaster before or since.

1. Blue Fire
2. Wodan
3. Taron
4. Der Schwur des Kärnan
5. Fluch von Novgorod
6. Black Mamba
7. Hals-über-Kopf
8. Silver Star
9. Flug der Dämonen
10. Van Helsings Factory

Taron
Wodan
Black Mamba
Euro Mir
Silver Star
Blue Fire
Star Trek - Operation Enterprise
Winjas
Van Helsings Factory
Colarado Adventure

Just a reminder; if you want to contribute a list to TS’s favourite German rollercoasters, you’ve got 16 days left! I’m compiling the data we have so far now, and it’s actually working out to be very interesting...

Last edited:
Right, then; sorry for double posting, but it’s 1st May, and I have the results of this poll!

In total, 8 members ranked 29 different roller coasters in their lists, so the sample size here wasn’t the biggest, but I was still able to work out relatively decent results! Speaking of the results, they’re interesting to say the least... in terms of how I calculated the rankings, I gave each ride a final score, which was calculated by dividing mean ranking by the amount of people who included a ride in their list (in order to take into account the percentage of the site that rates a ride highly); the lower the score, the higher the ride ranks. Also, I should clarify a few things; for Winjas, I was unsure what to do, as some people bunged them together and some people didn’t. To make things a bit simpler, I did end up bunging Winjas together and just going with your highest Winjas ranking if you did separate the two rides. Also, I inserted rides in in the order that you wrote them down. If there were less than 10 in your list, I just left the boxes after the end of your list blank. If there were more than 10 in your list, I did cut it off at 10, I’m afraid.

So without further ado, TowersStreet’s Top 10 German Rollercoasters are as follows:
  1. Wodan at Europa Park (GCI, 2012, Final Score of 0.3469387755)
  2. Taron at Phantasialand (Intamin, 2016, Final Score of 0.38 recurring)
  3. Black Mamba at Phantasialand (B&M, 2006, Final Score of 0.5714285714)
  4. Blue Fire at Europa Park (Mack, 2009, Final Score of 0.805 recurring)
  5. Silver Star at Europa Park (B&M, 2002, Final Score of 0.92)
  6. Hasenhorn Mountain Coaster at Hasenhorn Rodelbahn (Wiegand, 2004, Final Score of 1)
  7. Schwur des Karnan at Hansa Park (Gerstlauer, 2015, Final Score of 1.25)
  8. Colorado Adventure at Phantasialand (Vekoma, 1996, Final Score of 1.6875)
  9. Winjas at Phantasialand (Maurer, 2002, Final Score of 1.875)
  10. Expedition GeForce at Holiday Park (Intamin, 2001, Final Score of 2)
So, that’s the top 10! Certainly an interesting list, to say the least; quite a diverse range of manufacturers and ride types in there, and I was quite surprised to see Wodan on top, I’ll admit! Part of me was expecting Taron to come out on top, but I guess that’s just down to how the methodology works and the opinions of the site!

If you’re interested, here’s my full spreadsheet:

Thank you all for participating, and I hope you liked the poll!

How Is Wodan number 1 when no one voted it as number 1, Taron is 2nd yet recieved 4 votes placing it 1st.
I’ll admit I was slightly confused by that as well, but let me explain.

Basically, even though nobody ranked Wodan at #1, it was consistently ranked very, very highly among those who included it, with the rankings of it from those who rode it ranging between #2 and #4; it had 5 people ranking it in #2, which is more than Taron had ranking it in #1. By comparison, while Taron had 4 voters placing it in #1, the rankings ranged all the way from #1 to #7; it had 4 #1 votes, 1 #5 vote and 1 #7 vote, so the spread is far less consistent. It also helped that Wodan had 1 more person include it in their list; if Taron had had one more person including it, that may well have tipped the balance more in its favour.

That one stumped me a bit too, but I hope that makes a little more sense!

Right, then; sorry for double posting, but it’s 1st May, and I have the results of this poll!

In total, 8 members ranked 29 different roller coasters in their lists, so the sample size here wasn’t the biggest, but I was still able to work out relatively decent results! Speaking of the results, they’re interesting to say the least... in terms of how I calculated the rankings, I gave each ride a final score, which was calculated by dividing mean ranking by the amount of people who included a ride in their list (in order to take into account the percentage of the site that rates a ride highly); the lower the score, the higher the ride ranks. Also, I should clarify a few things; for Winjas, I was unsure what to do, as some people bunged them together and some people didn’t. To make things a bit simpler, I did end up bunging Winjas together and just going with your highest Winjas ranking if you did separate the two rides. Also, I inserted rides in in the order that you wrote them down. If there were less than 10 in your list, I just left the boxes after the end of your list blank. If there were more than 10 in your list, I did cut it off at 10, I’m afraid.

So without further ado, TowersStreet’s Top 10 German Rollercoasters are as follows:
  1. Wodan at Europa Park (GCI, 2012, Final Score of 0.3469387755)
  2. Taron at Phantasialand (Intamin, 2016, Final Score of 0.38 recurring)
  3. Black Mamba at Phantasialand (B&M, 2006, Final Score of 0.5714285714)
  4. Blue Fire at Europa Park (Mack, 2009, Final Score of 0.805 recurring)
  5. Silver Star at Europa Park (B&M, 2002, Final Score of 0.92)
  6. Hasenhorn Mountain Coaster at Hasenhorn Rodelbahn (Wiegand, 2004, Final Score of 1)
  7. Schwur des Karnan at Hansa Park (Gerstlauer, 2015, Final Score of 1.25)
  8. Colorado Adventure at Phantasialand (Vekoma, 1996, Final Score of 1.6875)
  9. Winjas at Phantasialand (Maurer, 2002, Final Score of 1.875)
  10. Expedition GeForce at Holiday Park (Intamin, 2001, Final Score of 2)
So, that’s the top 10! Certainly an interesting list, to say the least; quite a diverse range of manufacturers and ride types in there, and I was quite surprised to see Wodan on top, I’ll admit! Part of me was expecting Taron to come out on top, but I guess that’s just down to how the methodology works and the opinions of the site!

If you’re interested, here’s my full spreadsheet:

Thank you all for participating, and I hope you liked the poll!

What happens to the table if my mountain coaster (which isn't a rollercoaster in the traditional sense so probably shouldn't be there) is removed and EGF becomes my number one?

It's too low for my liking!!

What happens to the table if my mountain coaster (which isn't a rollercoaster in the traditional sense so probably shouldn't be there) is removed and EGF becomes my number one?

It's too low for my liking!!
EGF’s score would become 1, as you were (surprisingly) the only person to include EGF in their list. Therefore, EGF would go up a bit to #6, and presuming the mountain coaster is removed, Euro Mir would then fill the #10 spot.

I’ll admit that it’s not a perfect methodology, but I couldn’t really think of another way to do it that takes into account the views of the site as a whole.