• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Travellers

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

GaryH

TS Member
I was thinking of going up 19th April for the weekend but just remembered about the Travellers that go up in April and cause chaos.

Any ideas when they usually go up? Is it around Easter?

It's always Easter Sunday, so just avoid that day (not that I know yet what day that is :-\ )

Traveller day is usually Easter Sunday, which this year will be on the 31st of March. So they shouldn't be there on the 19th of April :)

EDIT: Ahh, Tim beat me to it :p

Also I think they normally visit the first weekend of scarefest

Yeah just booked a room and the lass on the phone said its usually Easter weekend at the beginning of April, and a week in October for Scarefest. She also said they tend to use their hotel where there are big race meetings on in Uttoxeter.

GaryH said:
Yeah just booked a room and the lass on the phone said its usually Easter weekend at the beginning of April, and a week in October for Scarefest. She also said they tend to use their hotel where there are big race meetings on in Uttoxeter.
Yeah normally the races on Saturday and towers on Sunday, it's horrible you feel on edge

Also worth noting the dates of the Uttoxeter race days, they seem to be around more on these dates too.

My cousin (he works there) was telling me about the traveller weekends, he said that they book rooms for one person and then bring in extra mattresses and make each room sleep about 12 people, apparently they also steal everything, but it doesn't matter because Alton towers have all their credit card details, so they are charged!

Henry said:
My cousin (he works there) was telling me about the traveller weekends, he said that they book rooms for one person and then bring in extra mattresses and make each room sleep about 12 people, apparently they also steal everything, but it doesn't matter because Alton towers have all their credit card details, so they are charged!

Yeah, because the staff and the doorman at the hotel wouldn't notice people sneaking extra mattresses in. ::)

My cousin (who also works there) says everything you've just said isn't true.

They way some people talk about Travellers on here is as if they aren't even human beings and universally 'chaos' causers. I find that very concerning to say the least.

It's one thing to recognise a negative behavioural trend in a section of society, study it's origin and come up with approaches to work towards a harmonious solution. It's quite another to avoid people from these cultures and make broad generalising statements, which perpetuates the problem of people acting the way that their country's culture and media tells them that they do. If people went round acting as though I was some kind of barbarian when they don't even know me, I would probably get sick of society refusing to respect me, no matter how I behaved, so I might as well start behaving like a barbarian.

I've heard homophobes use pretty much the same language used in this topic about gay pride marches 'causing chaos' and was as disgusted with the insinuation with that as I am with this. It seems that the Traveller is the acceptable minority to bully.

Would they actually stay on resort? And if they did... Would they use their own card details?

Meat Pie said:
They way some people talk about Travellers on here is as if they aren't even human beings and universally 'chaos' causers. I find that very concerning to say the least.

It's one thing to recognise a negative behavioural trend in a section of society, study it's origin and come up with approaches to work towards a harmonious solution. It's quite another to avoid people from these cultures and make broad generalising statements, which perpetuates the problem of people acting the way that their country's culture and media tells them that they do. If people went round acting as though I was some kind of barbarian when they don't even know me, I would probably get sick of society refusing to respect me, no matter how I behaved, so I might as well start behaving like a barbarian.

I've heard homophobes use pretty much the same language used in this topic about gay pride marches 'causing chaos' and was as disgusted with the insinuation with that as I am with this. It seems that the Traveller is the acceptable minority to bully.

I agree with you Meat Pie and on the whole don't have anything against the travelling community. But (and I think we've had this debate before) I think it is fair to warn people when any large groups are visiting as it can result in their trip not turning out as expected.

I’d say that applies to peak days and school trips just as much as travellers, it’s just unfortunate that the latter does result in very specific issues such as an increased security presents and potentially bad behaviour. Therefore I feel it’s only fair to warn people.

If they did have an extra mattress wouldn't they just sleep in there vans. I would instead of paying the prices of the hotels

I've heard groups of middle-class geeks play a similar trick with rooms at a local Meir Park inn several weekends a year, buying their booze from Tesco and drinking it in their rooms...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sam said:
Yeah, because the staff and the doorman at the hotel wouldn't notice people sneaking extra mattresses in. ::)

To be fair, I've seen people passing bedding and sleeping bags through hotel room windows in the past. Some guests do some bizarre things.

Although a mattress seems a little too far fetched. I would believe that they take things such as sleeping bags into the hotel though.

Many people on here have done the trick of booking a room for 4 then fitting 6+ people in the room (in hotels other than at Alton Towers). So travellers don't deserve to be targeted for that.

Simon (as usual) makes an excellent point.

So what if they're passing mattresses through windows? It's hardly a war crime is it?

I love how we should all be judgemental about it when (often actually poor) travellers do it, but me and other well-off people on this forum have done the same thing dozens of times at the Weathervane and no-one bats an eyelid. ::)

Edit: just realised I said pretty much the same as James did above. :p

The main issue with Travellers days at Alton Towers is that the family atmosphere is somewhat blemished with an increased number of very young girls wearing very little, and large gatherings which make navigation around the front of the Towers up to Fountain Square a little difficult.

That's basically the main problem. If I was paying good money to stay, I would probably choose another weekend when there's less likely to be large gatherings on park.

:)

Tom said:
A wise man once said that fear is a weapon of mass destruction.

That may be the case, but large gatherings of several hundred young people, many of whom are young (under 16) girls dressed in very provocative outfits, is not most families idea of a family day out. Therefore, if you are forking out several hundred pounds for a weekend on resort, I would advise a family to pick another date.

I appreciate that the problems caused by them on the whole are a little overblown, but there's no denying that large groups of people are generally seen as intimidating.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.