• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Trip Planning 2023/24: Information, advice and questions!

Does anyone know the last times for the Rulantica shuttle bus back to the hotels? The website just states it runs every 15-30 mins and more before and after Rulantica closes but doesn’t give any times.

Does anyone know the last times for the Rulantica shuttle bus back to the hotels? The website just states it runs every 15-30 mins and more before and after Rulantica closes but doesn’t give any times.
Unsure if it's available online (I take it you've already tried to look), but the full timetable for each day is posted on A-frames at the bus stops, so just check when you arrive. I think it is quite a bit later during peak periods than off-peak (by a couple of hours). :)

If you’re staying in the Resort hotels or the hotel end of Rust, I would say just walk. We walked to and from Rulantica last month and it was no problem at all!

I would say just walk. We walked to and from Rulantica last month and it was no problem at all!
How long did the walk take?

On a different note, driving to Europa Park might get a little more expensive or a little longer if you avoid it, due to the Low Emission Zone in Strasbourg.

I dont think it is being enforced yet, but it looks like it will be enforced from 2023 so something to think about as you need to have the badge in the car.
I am a little unsure what you actually need and how long the permits are valid for, but its something extra to think about.

If anyone is thinking of driving, I do recommend the Emvois Tag, saved us a fair bit of time, as you can essential drive through the tolls at 30kmh, and dont need to worry about paying until the following month after you travel. Also, you can view your journey history as well(all the way back to my first journey in 2014), which I quite like.
1654366589722.png

Crit’air stickers are just under £4 and they have no expiry date, so it’s just a one off fee. It’s the same concept as the German “Umweltplakette” sticker which is required for driving in many cities, including areas of Freiburg if you’re heading up to the mountain coaster in the Black Forest.

They’re easy enough to apply for, just a scan of your V5 (all four pages) and it’s with you in a few days. For the French one, make sure you apply on the official site as there’s plenty of others that are charging ridiculous amounts for just ordering the sticker then forwarding it on to you. They’re not specific to a city so once you have one they can be used countrywide.

It is worth noting that the sticker requirement in Strasbourg has been put back again and again. This is the furthest it’s got to bring enforceable from next year, but I wouldn’t bother getting one until that date is confirmed nearer the time.

For the German sticker I’d recommend this site and just use Google Translate. It’s about £6.40 including postage for a sticker. The same application process for uploading your V5 applies. The sticker you get works country wide just like the French one, with no expiry date. You only need this if you’re travelling through/stopping in some cities on a road trip though, so double check you need it before spending your money! Drop me a PM if you’re unsure on your specific trip and I’m happy to help.

If anyone is thinking of driving, I do recommend the Emvois Tag, saved us a fair bit of time, as you can essential drive through the tolls at 30kmh, and dont need to worry about paying until the following month after you travel. Also, you can view your journey history as well(all the way back to my first journey in 2014), which I quite like.
Just on the Emovis tag too, getting the tag from Bip&Go (one of their sister companies) can now work out cheaper. Previously, you could only order through Emovis, as they were the exclusive UK seller, but Bip&Go also posts globally. A quick comparison of costs:

Emovis
  • €10+vat One-Off Tag Application fee (waived if you order through Eurotunnel if you have a valid booking with them)
  • €8+vat yearly management fee (€4 from 2nd year onwards if you order through Eurotunnel)
  • €20 Security Deposit for the tag
  • €5+vat for each month you use the tag - capped at 2 months
Amounts are converted into pounds using a mid market rate at the time the invoice is produced.

Bip&Go
  • €10 activation fee
  • €10 delivery fee
  • €0 yearly management fee as long as you use it at least once annually (€10 if not)
  • €0 Security deposit
  • €1.70 per month that you use the tag, €0 the months that you don't
Prices above are all inclusive of VAT. Note that you will need a Euro bank account through someone like Starling to use this option, but they're easy enough to open.

I'd recommend Starling for use as a bank for travelling. Easiest option I've found by far, plus overdraft is a nice safety net for extreme circumstances.

Yup I’m big fan of staying on the hotel side of the village now if you’re not on resort. Nice easy walk to the supermarket and Rulantica. You have the longer morning walk but can pop out of the hotel entrance at the end of the day or from the hotels at night and be back at the apartment/guest house much quicker.

Agreed, and I prefer the longer walk in the morning rather than after spending time in the hotel bars, it's a nice way to begin the day.

It's probably been said in here before but I've been twice now and the new Edeka in Rust is brilliant! Great for stocking up on drinks or food for breakfast if you are staying in an apartment/guest house.

Moxy Rust

I’ve just got back from another fantastic visit to EP again, this time stopping in the MOXY. I would definitely recommend stopping here if you can get a good deal, I booked our room through hotels.com which was slightly cheaper than going through them direct at the time.

We had a twin room and was plenty of space for us both, the bathroom is a little small, but perfectly fine. And with the hotel being fairly new, everything is clean and fresh.

Also the website states it’s got paid parking, however you can park for free along the front and the back of the hotel rather than paying for the car park, which was good for us as we had a hire car.

We didn’t bother paying extra for breakfast, and didn’t use the bar as we stuck to the hotel bars and restaurants, but the Moxy does have a large bar area and plenty of places to chill in the reception area.

It’s also just across the road from Edeka/Lidl so good to grab food and drinks and it’s also easy to walk direct to Rulantica, or just cross over to Bell Rock to grab the shuttle bus.

Moxy Rust

I’ve just got back from another fantastic visit to EP again, this time stopping in the MOXY. I would definitely recommend stopping here if you can get a good deal, I booked our room through hotels.com which was slightly cheaper than going through them direct at the time.

We had a twin room and was plenty of space for us both, the bathroom is a little small, but perfectly fine. And with the hotel being fairly new, everything is clean and fresh.

Also the website states it’s got paid parking, however you can park for free along the front and the back of the hotel rather than paying for the car park, which was good for us as we had a hire car.

We didn’t bother paying extra for breakfast, and didn’t use the bar as we stuck to the hotel bars and restaurants, but the Moxy does have a large bar area and plenty of places to chill in the reception area.

It’s also just across the road from Edeka/Lidl so good to grab food and drinks and it’s also easy to walk direct to Rulantica, or just cross over to Bell Rock to grab the shuttle bus.
Did you have to go to the main entrance or are you allowed through the hotel entrance?

Thanks for all the help with the trains! A quick urgent question though, the app has just told me the direct train to Ringheim tommorow is cancelled. What is the best way to resolve as I know I can get a later train with changes from Frankfurt but I don’t think my tickets valid for it???

Thanks for all the help with the trains! A quick urgent question though, the app has just told me the direct train to Ringheim tommorow is cancelled. What is the best way to resolve as I know I can get a later train with changes from Frankfurt but I don’t think my tickets valid for it???
The rules for Deutsche Bahn are:

1656169352326.png

If you want to double check or get further help though, pop to one of the information desks at Frankfurt - there's a big round one in the middle of the concourse, then the huge travel centre itself so you can't miss them.

Thanks so much guys! Due to timings the app is now suggesting I get the train to Herbolzheim and get the bus from there which does seem to work with my times. I noticed that he bus is much less frequent if you catch it from there though so just wondering if you think i should just stick with Ringsheim to be safe.

Thanks again, it has saved a lot of stress and allowed me a comfortable touristy day in Frankfurt!