• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TS York Bank Holiday Weekend: 29th April - 1st May 2017

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
It's New! It's Fresh! It's our 2017 York Bank Holiday Weekender...
...otherwise billed as a weekend of theme parks, culture, eating and drinking up in beautiful York!

Hang on? What is this madness? A meet to theme parks with a day of cultured repose? Please Dan... you're going mad! No, I am not. I just know what you lot like these days.

This meet has been posted significantly in advance in order to allow people to book their accommodation well in advance. York is extremely popular and this is a bank holiday weekend so please book AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to secure it!

Here's the plan:

Saturday, 29th April

Meet at the Flamingoland main entrance at 9.45am. After a day at the park, we'll be driving the 40 minutes or so down to York where everyone has a hotel booked for the night. We can recommend using booking.com and doing so as soon as possible. Hotels often require no pre-payment and can be free to cancel! We recommend Middletons Hotel, the Stay City Apartments or other - but there's lots of choice in the city. In the evening, we'll be eating out and hitting some pubs and bars!

Sunday, 30th April
This is a day for selection of the great many tourist attractions in York. From the National Railway Museum (bleedin' geeks) to the brand new-restored Jorvik Viking Centre (complete with dark ride, oOoOoOo), York Minster (SILENCE!) and Dungeon for those who wish to use their Merlin pass (if you even own one!) - theres bags to do. Shopping is also great in this beautiful city. In the evening it's a return to the restaurants, pubs and bars!

Monday, 1st May
Meet at Lightwater Valley main entrance at 9.45am. After a day in the park everyone can head off home.

Don't forget to RSVP here!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be there. Looking forward to it not just for Mingo and LWV, but I hear York is meant to be a lovely city. Any chance someone could help me with lifts and accommodation? And what's the best station to use for the parks?

I'll be there. Looking forward to it not just for Mingo and LWV, but I hear York is meant to be a lovely city. Any chance someone could help me with lifts and accommodation? And what's the best station to use for the parks?

You could use someone coming up from your neck of the woods, Ted - as the parks are out in the sticks. There's plenty of time so let's watch this space.

Reactions: Ted
Good idea Astro. I may do that, or at least get a lift from a nearer station in the North. Will decide when in the near future :)

Have been informed I can do Mingo but am needed Sunday-Monday at home. Blast. Regarding lifts I can get people from Sheffield to Mingo and back to Sheffield but it'll all be on the Saturday.

I've just booked an apartment in central York for three nights - 28 April (friday) until 1 May (monday). Cost is £398, and sleeps up to four people. If anyone wants a space, please let me know.

Note: As I'm heading up from London, fellow Londoners get first dibs.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of trains, but I loved the train museum as a child so I wouldn't say no to returning there. Jorvik is awesome, so I definitely want to go back there.

Interested in this meet. Never done Mingo, need one cred at Ligh****er valley, would need help with lifts etc.

Should have posted in here instead of the generic meet topic...

Will hopefully be able to make this, except perhaps LWV on the Mon. Will try and get the Sunday off work (and possibly the Monday, holiday allowance dependant) :)

I've just booked an apartment in central York for three nights - 28 April (friday) until 1 May (monday). Cost is £398, and sleeps up to four people. If anyone wants a space, please let me know.

Note: As I'm heading up from London, fellow Londoners get first dibs.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of trains, but I loved the train museum as a child so I wouldn't say no to returning there. Jorvik is awesome, so I definitely want to go back there.

Hi Ashley, I hope your ok? If there's still a place available I would like to put my name down please?

I am driving from N'pton so I'll have space in my car for 3 other people to get from the hotel to the parks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ashley, I hope your ok? If there's still a place available I would like to put my name down please?

I am driving from N'pton so I'll have space in my car for 3 other people to get from the hotel to the parks

No probs :)

If you get a few people from London to go with you instead it's cool. I've got a room for myself that's a 5-10 minute walk to the town centre on booking.com.

If that's the case I can give a lift to other people from York to the parks instead .

Last edited:
Like I said in the official meet thread, I'll be living closer by then so I could walk round to FL and hope to get to the York meet as well. LWV is a bit far, but never say never.

Am I right in thinking York has some kind of daft no-cars rule where you have to park miles outside the city and get a bus in to town?

No, but it might be a good idea. The park and ride is pretty decent and much cheaper than city centre parking. Medieval street layouts and cars don't mix well so it can often get busy too.

With that said, I usually park in Marygate car park which is rarely if ever busy and a short walk to the Minster, NRM and all of the main attractions. The only downside is that it can take an age to get out of the junction onto the main road at the end of the day.

I'm up for this, anybody looking for a cheap room or has a space spare in one?

Am I right in thinking York has some kind of daft no-cars rule where you have to park miles outside the city and get a bus in to town?

There is a LOT of park and rides in York due to the sheer number of people who visit, but the centre is still accessible and there are central car parks too. Providing you arrive early in the day or late in the day (which we will be after 'Mingo) then there's not too much of an issue in getting around and parking centrally. If there's no parking at your accommodation, council car parks are around £2.10 per hour between 8am-6pm and then a £2 overnight flat rate. They all take paybyphone as well as cash/cards.

Have been informed I can do Mingo but am needed Sunday-Monday at home. Blast. Regarding lifts I can get people from Sheffield to Mingo and back to Sheffield but it'll all be on the Saturday.
i've love to come, but don't think i'll be able to (I'm from Sheffield as well, by the way). i might be able to do the Saturday (Flamingo Land) though, I'll have to talk to my parents. doing the whole two days (inc hotel stay) would probably be too expensive.
Jorvik is awesome, so I definitely want to go back there.
be warned: it will be different, as it has been completely refurbished after being flooded.

Last edited: