• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Police Crime Comissioner Elections 2012

How did/will you vote with your first preference?

• Couldn't Vote

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Didn't Vote (Apathy)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Didn't Vote (Political Reasoning)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Independent Candidate

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other - Green Party, English Democrat, Etc..

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Liberal Democrat Candidate

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Conservative Party Candidate

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Labour Party Candidate

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Meat Pie

TS Member
So it's an election... an admittedly miserably mishandled one but an election none the less. What are your opinions on the matter? Who did you vote for your first preference? Who did you vote for your second preference? Why?

I'm interested to see what the result will be from TST members :)

I personally oppose the idea of what I see as politicising of the police, who as an institution are meant to be completely impartial, which I feel would be compromised by the incorporation of this election system. I think we will see the Commissioners making populist judgments to serve their voters, rather than what is genuinely best for the whole public.

I do however concede that the previous system of unelected commissioners had potential for political abuse but rather than embrace that fact, I would rather see some sort of system of regulation which ensured it is being as impartial as possible.

But despite my grievances, I will be voting tomorrow. I will be using my first preference for Ann Barnes, an independent candidate who opposed the introduction of these elections and has put a lot of emphasis in her campaign about not being answerable to party leaders or agendas, which I think makes her a preferable candidate. On top of that, she opposes proposed plans for privatisation and further policing cuts which I also very much agree with.

My second preference vote will be for the Labour candidate. It would have been for the Green Party but much like many areas of the country, they've not filed any candidate. The only reason for this second preference vote is to give my support to the candidate that I feel is closest to my own political views (in this case just picking the lesser evil), if god forbid the independent doesn't win.

No candidate in my area has explicitly said they will end or try to lessen the absurd 'war on drugs' in Sheffield, so I'm not voting as it's the only policing issue that's important to me. :)

I've not been sent a polling card, or anything through the post to even mention this whole farce. As far as I know, there is no election.

I'm considering three options

1. Vote Labour, as my candidate say they will oppose the privatisation of police operations, and my political stance is generally labour

2. Independent candidate, as I disagree with this kind of role being run by someone based on partisan ideas, as it overrides the true purpose of policing

3. Spoiled ballot/not voting, as the communication of what these elections are for has been dire, and as above I don't believe the police should be run by an elected leader. Where was the referendum for bringing this in in the first place?

I am blessed in that I have an entirely huge selection of two candidates in my area.

One seemingly only wants to oppose everything.. and the other one wants to try their best with what they've got. Somehow, I seemingly feel like I wanna choose the latter.

Totally reminded me to go vote though!

DiogoJ42 said:
I've not been sent a polling card, or anything through the post to even mention this whole farce. As far as I know, there is no election.

There is no election in London, as the role of PCC is carried out by Boris.

I'm probably going to vote for one of the independent candidates in my area. Given that PCCs are being inflicted on us, I figure I may as well try to get the lesser of several evils elected.

I don't think I even got a polling card, and if I did, then I'd be very tempted to spoil ny ballot. These elections are, in my view, pointless and have been organised very poorly, with virtually no publicity whatsoever. Plus I don't think it's a good idea at all to bring politics into policing, although 6 out of the 10 candidates in Devon & Cornwall are independent, which goes some way to addressing that issue.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Might pop in and vote on my way home as the polling station is right next to work... However, this is the first time since I've turned 18 that I am wholly uninterested in using my right to vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I'm not registered on the roll here yet, so couldn't vote even if I wanted to. I know nothing about any candidates or what they are proposing! I didn't even know this "election" was today!

I got sent a polling card the other week, but that's all I've heard of it.

I'm not voting. I don't want politics getting involved in policing and the whole things seems to be a bit of a farce.

I'll be surprised if voter turnout across the country is more than 20%.

My local polling station closed early when I walked past it 8 hours later at 4pm.

So much for free, fair & democratic elections, then. ::)

Until last night when my friend mentioned it, I had no idea there was a vote, I havnt had a polling card or anything else through the door about it. So I have therefore not voted, dont even know where the local polling station is.

I'm not bothering...

which seems to be the same feeling as the majority of the general public. ;)

Just walked past my polling station... Just two lonely people sitting at a table with nothing to do. I didn't bother going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Just got back from the polling station... You know it's not going well when the people staffing it all cheer at the sight of some fresh blood.

They told me that they've only had around 70 people out of the 3000 on their lists.

Someone at my polling station reckoned the total turnout might reach 50. I didn't ask how many people were registered there, but it's probably a couple of thousand. This is about as apathetic as it's possible for an electorate to be, and I can't really blame people.

On the other hand, I've never felt my vote has such a chance as influencing the outcome of the election as it does today.