• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Twitter

Novas

TS Member
This morning someone convinced me to actually try Twitter. I’ve been saying how much I hate it for years but I’ve never really given it a chance, so today I did, and now I have a question for you all: What is the freakin point?!

I signed up and choose 25 people to ‘follow,’ and it has blown my mind for the last six hours. It’s just tweet after tweet of the most uninterested, anal, pointless messages I’ve ever seen. Some people who I used to love (Richard Dawkins,) I now want to hit with a spade because they don’t seem to STFU. It’s like a never ending wave of crap status updates that come out faster than I can actually read them.

I can live with hearing the latest gossip 30 minutes after everyone else if the alternative is trawling through this crap on a daily basis.

/rant

Re: I hate Twitter

I've got a question. Why complain about it? Do you just want to be seen as different and special for not using it? Why not let people enjoy themselves on twitter, why do you have to express your contempt at such people?

If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

Novas said:
I signed up and choose 25 people to ‘follow,’ and it has blown my mind for the last six hours. It’s just tweet after tweet of the most uninterested, anal, pointless messages I’ve ever seen.

I certainly hope noone you've followed happens to be reading this thread. ;)

Fredward said:
I've got a question. Why complain about it? Do you just want to be seen as different and special for not using it? Why not let people enjoy themselves on twitter, why do you have to express your contempt at such people?

If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

It was supposed to be a humorous rant which had a chance to spark some conversation on the purpose of the application, specifically how it acts as a live feed to breaking news when it’s so unbelievably cluttered. It is both a social phenomena that I don’t like and one that I don’t understand.

In retrospect perhaps the original post did come across as a tad aggressive, I was rushing to do something else and I accept that it was therefore a poorly constructed post, however in the same breath It was not a specific attack on any individual and I made no reference to anyone who uses or enjoys it, so I’d appreciate it if you wound your neck in. If your that easily offended I'm not sure how you handle the real world.

I have used twitter loads, through necessity, built up monster followings and then scrapped them - three times now.

Why?

Because of the inevitable moronic keyboard warriors that end up causing you untold grief. I cannot believe, some of the people that use it. I have met some great friends over it, don't get me wrong, but as a medium in general - I absolutely detest it. It encourages the scummiest cowardliness I have encountered anywhere. Once or twice, people have had sly digs at me on here (not the normal forum banter), from a safe distance, big hard men that they are (don't think I didn't notice just because I didn't respond), but is nothing in comparison to some of the vile natured utter turd that happens on Twitter!

That said, some great things are achieved on it, and like anything it can be used for good and bad - and the utterly mundane.

Over all? I hate it due to the behaviour it encourages, the fact it detracts from real life communication, and encourages yet more to live in a fake virtual world completely isolating people from real life. No that isn't an opinion, that is a fact.

Still, having said that, it has it's virtues and ironically, some of the best friends I have now were found on there - all I would say with regards to Twitter is this:

"You have to shift a lot of coal to find a diamond".

Put the work in though, and manage your timeline well, and it is a fantastic tool with some phenomenal people on it - you just have to wade through a lot of crap to find it.

If I may offer a small tip, follow only people that interest you....

Tom said:

I did try and only go for people that interest me, but it seems you have to spend a lot of time thinning out people who interest you, but who are also really annoying and over-share!

Also seems a bit self defeating at times. For example if I were to follow all the bands that I like in order to keep up to date with tour dates or new material etc, but then to have to un-follow the ones who spout rubbish 20+ times a day...

Novas said:
Tom said:

I did try and only go for people that interest me, but it seems you have to spend a lot of time thinning out people who interest you, but who are also really annoying and over-share!

Also seems a bit self defeating at times. For example if I were to follow all the bands that I like in order to keep up to date with tour dates or new material etc, but then to have to un-follow the ones who spout rubbish 20+ times a day...

This is true. The most annoying thing is following bands/well known figures in the mistaken belief that their tweets will be anything other than impersonal, emotionless rubbish that's blatantly not posted by themselves. That kind of account is by no means the majority though, most people have realised that genuine Twitter interaction is key to success in any industry.

Timeline isn't king on Twitter though Novas - ignore it.

You can stop receiving updates from people you follow, without unfollowing them also.

The key thing you end up using is your interactions, that being when someone directly or indirectly references you. For 140 character "tweets" there is some level of complexity behind getting the most out of it.

The supporting apps I have used, are ludicrously complex with stats etc - but when you need to get the most out of it, you need to use them - however as a casual user, I genuinely find it is the best way to get in touch with people whom ordinarily would be way out of reach.

I think I need to temper what I said earlier, it isn't Twitter itself I hate, it is a smaller, but yet significant proportion of the user group. I certainly never use it for personal reasons though, it is only ever for causes or professional things, with the added bonus it opens up opportunities to make some real friends along the way.

Thanks, I just went to explore that menu and found the 'turn off retweet' option which i'm sure will help a lot. I may try using it for a week or two just for park news and see how that goes.

Novas said:
Thanks, I just went to explore that menu and found the 'turn off retweet' option which i'm sure will help a lot. I may try using it for a week or two just for park news and see how that goes.

Just give me a shout mate if you are stuck with anything, get used to using "Connect" menu more too. Retweet is king, if you like it, share it - make each post count, and get interacting - that is most definitely the best way.

Those who just talk "at" people, don't get very far, unless they are very very famous. You'd be surprised though, how many famous/successful people do actually interact.

Enough of it's redeeming features however, here is one to get on everyone's tits.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/24/george-osborne-tweets-cute-cat-in-red-budget-briefcase-photo-but-still-gets-abuse-3556965/

I've used Twitter for years (insert cliché 'before it was cool' reference here) and I solely follow friends and people I find interesting. I'm not afraid to unfollow people who clutter up my stream.

In my opinion, Twitter is far more up-to-the-minute and enjoyable to use than Facebook, which is getting worse each day at showing me posts from the friends I care about.

Twitter is better than Facebook because you don't have to follow friends and put up with their inane, annoying, stupid nonsense or the stupid pages they share crap from. You can follow whoever you want. I follow very few people I know in real life, don't use my name. It makes Twitter a lot better.

Twitter isn't 'better' than Facebook and Facebook isn't 'better' than Twitter because they're completely different services. One is a social network, and the other is micro-blogging. All they have in common is that they use the internet.

It's like saying a ham sandwich is better than watering can.

Novas said:
Fredward said:
Roger Ramrod said:
It's like saying a ham sandwich is better than watering can.

sorry, a ham sandwich is better than a watering can, it's a scientific fact.

What if you have a lot of ham sandwich plants wilting on a hot day?

hahahaha!

That is bad news man, bad news.

Talking of ham sandwiches, what is everyones favourite condiment for it?

I quite like mayo and black pepper, sometimes tommy sauce, but for a real bit of dangerous sandwiching it has to be piccalilli. I like Branston Pickle, but the chunks put me off.

Just butter for me, butter, ham and bread.

That's if its quality bread, the kind of bread that's fluffy like a cloud and smells amazing.

I like butter on them, but not too much. The ham has got to be moist but not soaked in butter. But I agree, the correct bread is essential. If the bread is too flavoursome, it'll cancel out the succulent taste of the ham. :)

I clicked on the second page of this thread just now to view what I thought would be some heated social networking debate -_- ;)

And for the record, the perfect ham sandwich is on thin, white bread with lightly spread Clover butter on one side, three to four slices of preferably wafer thin ham topped with a small amount of Coleman's English mustard :)