• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UEFA Theme Parks League

Thameslink Rail

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Firstly, a bit of context, this came out of a conversation on discord between me and @JAperson. I like football, for those who don’t know me I’m a Luton Town fan (please don’t hold that against me). One thing that interests me is the UEFA champions league where all the greats of Europe compete against each other (not Luton sadly), so I thought what if we replaced those teams with European theme parks. (It’s nearly closed season so we don’t really have much else to do). The first challenge is deciding which 32 parks are going to be included in this competition, UEFA use a very complicated system of association rankings and domestic league rankings to decide who qualifies for the competition, this doesn’t really map onto theme parks as big in football doesn’t mean big in theme parks and there are no domestic theme park league tables. I have just chosen 32 parks based on attendance and general size and grouped them by random number generator, I hope there aren't any obvious parks I've missed.

These are:

Group A
Wiener Prater
Bobbejaanland
Futuroscope
Legoland Deutschland

Group B
Grona Lund
Liseberg
Walibi Belgium
Efteling

Group C
Djurs Sommerland
Alton Towers
Gardaland
Parque Warner

Group D
Movie Park Germany
Parc Asterix
Tivoli Gardens
Flamingo Land

Group E
Legoland Windsor
Heide Park
Energylandia
Mirabilandia

Group F
Puy Du Fou
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Farup Sommerland
Thorpe Park

Group G
PortAventura
Disneyland Park
Linnanmaki
Phantasialand

Group H
Chessington
Legoland Billund
Europa-Park
Walt Disney Studios

Here is the poll for Group A: https://forms.gle/KnTFXjbZTnvN2AnZ9

Top two from each group qualify for the knock-out stage
I will close this poll this time next week, announce the results and put up the next poll

Nice idea. Would be easier to use forum polls though no?

Voted Weiner Prater. Traditional and city center based - the Newcastle United of the group perhaps.

Haven't been on the discord in months :eek:
I decided against forum polls solely because that would require a new thread every week and I don't want to flood the European parks section.

I decided against forum polls solely because that would require a new thread every week and I don't want to flood the European parks section.
Can edit the poll once previous vote has finished perhaps. Doesn't matter anyway, this works.

My Mrs is from Luton, I love Kenilworth road - not so much the town itself :p

Polls would be easier

If were sticking to true champions league rules then parks owned by the same people group can’t be grouped together ;-)

Polls would be easier

If were sticking to true champions league rules then parks owned by the same people group can’t be grouped together ;-)
That would be possible but it would mean one Merlin park in every group, would this be something people want changed?

Without announcing the current results, we currently have a tie for second place and I can't decide how to break it if it still exists tomorrow afternoon. Any ideas?

I've just voted for Walibi Belgium because I thought it had the best overall layout. I think LIsaberg has the single best coaster by the looks of it Helix (according to some people anyway).

Based on my voting rationale of 'what would be the best park for an away game if a football stadium was plonked in the middle' - I've gone for Efteling.

Was gonna go Liseberg due to the location (and coasters) but the beer is too expensive.

Based on my voting rationale of 'what would be the best park for an away game if a football stadium was plonked in the middle' - I've gone for Efteling.

Was gonna go Liseberg due to the location (and coasters) but the beer is too expensive.
Could say that's unbeerlievable :p;)

Or more accurately the Scottish Lowland League which contains such great clubs as Bo'ness United, Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic and Vale of Leithen :tearsofjoy:

Breaking News: Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Chessington, Flamingo Land, Legoland Windsor and Thorpe Park join Port Aventura and Parque Warner Madrid from Spain and, Mirabilandia and Gardaland from Italy in a breakaway 'European Super League' without promotion and relegation. Fans are outraged especially given how long Chessington have gone without a new coaster.

Satire out of the way here's the results of Group C
1. Alton Towers 13 votes (56.5%) I guess we are biased
2. Djurs Sommerland 7 votes (30.4%)
3. Gardaland 3 votes (13%)
4. Parque Warner Madrid 0 votes (0%)
Total votes: 23

And now for Group D
https://forms.gle/5hjfbG4e6jEsvdcU9

Results for Group D
Leeds United 2-2 Brentford
Manchester United 1-0 Crystal Palace
Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 Norwich City
Aston Villa 1-1 Leicester City (At Half Time)
Sorry wrong results

1. Parc Asterix 10 votes (66.7%)
2. Tivoli Gardens 4 votes (26.7%)
3. Movie Park Germany 1 vote (6.7%)
4. Flamingo Land 0 votes (0%) Can't say I'm surprised...
Total Votes: 15

And now for Group E
https://forms.gle/CEmZfYytAp3aX39t5

Last edited: