• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Uk theme parks future generations?

Not sure if this is the best place to put this topic.
Been going to Theme parks for 30 years now the attendances have got smaller and smaller. I remember back in the 90s having to start queuing for the car park by the JCB works. Drayton Manor many times they had to close the entrance as the place was full. I notice that Parents roughly in there 30’s don’t take there kids to Theme parks. Out of all my friends and work colleagues I’m the only person who still goes to Theme parks. At work I speak to the 18 to 21 year olds and many have never been to Alton Towers. When I do bring the subject up I get 2 responses 1) I value my limbs 2) I got better things to spend £150+ on.
I see areas like CBeebies land,Peppa pig world and Thomasland packed with parents with young kids but I bet most will only go 1st or twice in there life time. Parents don’t want to spend a lot of money just to queue up all day so days out have been replaced with a meal out at a pub on a Saturday or Sunday lunch time.
Do you think by the time you have grandkids your own kids will still be going to Theme parks or is it slowly dying away?

As much as I don’t like the way Merlin operate, the industry could be dying away anyway. Theme parks, they’re not perceived as “cool” by a lot of young people anymore – and The Smiler crash only worsened that perception.

Almost every time the subject of Alton Towers comes up, all you get is jibes about loosing limbs, etc. In order to attract young audiences, you have to appeal to them, and that just isn’t happening (re: Thorpe Park) – which means they aren’t securing new audiences to secure the future of the industry.

Family markets seem to be doing okay (in general) because parents who were brought up going to parks are taking their kids to them – it’s just that when these kids grow up, they’re not finding the appeal to go back to the parks themselves, which is probably only contributing to the current stagnation, and potentially future downfall of the UK industry (you can see in the graph below that the biggest drops have been at more “thrill” orientated parks, as opposed to “family” orientated parks).

Coincidentally, I was putting together a graph of attendance results last night (sourced from TEA); this is all the info I could find on UK parks:
463F431E-2B2E-409A-AA42-235EC2C0026A.jpeg

If anyone knows where I would be able to find more info to complete it, especially with regards to Flamingoland and Chessington – or any other UK park that could be added to it, that would be a great help! :)

That’s what I’m saying there taking them to Theme parks as there favourite IP is at that park but as parents grow older they don’t want to go on thrill rides as they now make my wife feel sick and gives her a headache.
Thomasland in theory should last the longest as generations have been enjoying Thomas the tank engine.

Possibly in the UK. On a global scale though, I don't think theme parks are going out of fashion, far from it. There's so much construction at the moment.

It's said so many times on this forum, I think in recent years the negative publicity following the Smiler incident and subsequent cuts to the experience leave a bad taste in the mouth of the public, and that affects the smaller parks too. Yet people don't realise that at the smaller parks the entry is good value, parking cheap or free, there's time to enjoy the rides and sit down for lunch plus in some cases a zoo to look round as well. Of course the rapids incident at Drayton didn't help either, even if it wasn't the park's fault.
As much as I don’t like the way Merlin operate, the industry could be dying away anyway. Theme parks, they’re not perceived as “cool” by a lot of young people anymore – and The Smiler crash only worsened that perception.

Almost every time the subject of Alton Towers comes up, all you get is jibes about loosing limbs, etc. In order to attract young audiences, you have to appeal to them, and that just isn’t happening (re: Thorpe Park) – which means they aren’t securing new audiences to secure the future of the industry.

Family markets seem to be doing okay (in general) because parents who were brought up going to parks are taking their kids to them – it’s just that when these kids grow up, they’re not finding the appeal to go back to the parks themselves, which is probably only contributing to the current stagnation, and potentially future downfall of the UK industry (you can see in the graph below that the biggest drops have been at more “thrill” orientated parks, as opposed to “family” orientated parks).

Coincidentally, I was putting together a graph of attendance results last night (sourced from TEA); this is all the info I could find on UK parks:
463F431E-2B2E-409A-AA42-235EC2C0026A.jpeg

If anyone knows where I would be able to find more info to complete it, especially with regards to Flamingoland and Chessington – or any other UK park that could be added to it, that would be a great help! :)
I didn't realise the drop in attendance was that huge, that's rather depressing. :(

The thing to remember with the UK, though, is that millions and millions of Brits are still flying to places like Florida and Spain for theme parks each year, despite all the threats about Brexit and everything! So there is clearly still a place for theme parks in the lives of many British people; all we need is for some of those people to visit places like Alton Towers!

In theory, brexit should be good for tourist numbers. Brexit will cause the pound to collapse so leaving the UK will be more expensive (i.e. less visits to foreign countries) while making UK holidays cheaper for people who live in other countries.

However, labour is severely affected by Brexit. That's the thing that is more worrying because less staff means a worse off park experience.

It is quite sad seeing theses big parks closing attractions down without no replacement planned for years.
Like Merlin only got themselves to blame removing a lot of rides and just opening coasters,Short term IP’s and closing quite a lot of attractions over the past 3 seasons but still Charging top $ to get in just to queue all day or spend even more cash on fast track tickets only so much can the normal general public can take.
I think even Drayton Manor have shot themselves in the foot getting rid of the season pass as many families with kids to old for Thomasland won’t be going back next season. Last season price was £260 and now they be forced to pay £380.
In the 90’s Alton Towers did feel magical and Drayton Manor felt like it was the closest thing to Disneyland.
I hope every park in the uk looks at how well Paultons Park has growth in the last 10 years to see how well a theme park is run.

The global industry is performing very well, which goes not only for the ride manufacturing industry and their gross sales, but for new theme parks (particularly in Asia) in general. This will continue as innovation and tech continues to improve. As for the UK... ehh, it's hard. And it's very subjective. One of the issues is the price of land, another which is causally linked to the price of land is ridiculous and pathetically red taped planning laws which regardless of price is off putting and strenuous for any company.
As for cultural reasons or perception of danger, there is no hard data on this, so whilst what we are saying may be useful (talking to people and them saying they are worried about theme parks, or one of your friends doesn't think its hip anymore) it doesn't show what most people are thinking. Getting that kind of data would be very difficult.
I don't believe theme parks will ever die out though, not in an absolutist extent. No way. They are as integral to our entertainment as watching films, playing sport and going to nightclubs and restaurants. From a relativist point, possibly. But I don't think it matters much as there will always be an opportunity in the future for it to grow as tech and the economy is always changing.
@Robert.W I agree with a lot of your analysis, but I think perhaps we are all overlooking the first point you made. Perhaps it's the way that Merlin operate that is the main reason why attendance is so poor across the board in this country, rather than other factors. It would make sense, especially post 2015.

The problem with the Merlin attractions, is that the Magic has gone. Guest expectation is high and yet what you get for your hard earn't cash is pittance. If it cost you and your family a few hundred pounds to visit a theme park for the day, but you only mange to get on a dismal 3 rides, and your experience is not a great one, then why would you return to the attraction again? Only the loyal customers are ever going to return, and even these are dwindling under Merlin.

On the other hand, if you were to have a great day out, you are more likely to return again.

@Robert.W I agree with a lot of your analysis, but I think perhaps we are all overlooking the first point you made. Perhaps it's the way that Merlin operate that is the main reason why attendance is so poor across the board in this country, rather than other factors. It would make sense, especially post 2015.
You could be right. I’d be surprised if Merlin’s operations didn’t have an impact, at least to some extent anyway. As a young person, and having spoken to a lot of other young people, it does often seems not to do with the way Merlin operate their theme parks, but more that there seems to be absolutely no desire to visit any type of this attraction, Merlin owned or not... though thinking about it again, it does seem logical that maybe what Merlin have done to the industry has subconsciously killed so many people’s desire to visit UK theme parks... certainly an interesting thought.

Would be interesting to see just how many brits choose to go abroad to visit theme parks, as opposed to staying in the UK to visit one... those figures would be very interesting. Because that would show just how large a group of people are still interested in going to theme parks, but who have no confidence in the UK industry to provide the experiences they are after.

TBH, if we lost our theme park industry here, I wouldn't be surprised if any of us couldn't care less about this downfall given how the lack of confidence both us and the GP seem to have.

Plus for the smaller parks, seeing all this isn't good for them too as rather than try and take advantage, they'll just simply say 'what's the point?' and opt to go under eventually. It's just all a sorry state of affairs.

"Cultural differences" has been mentioned. I think there is no better example of this than visiting a park in either Germany or The Netherlands. Over there, all ages view rides as "Epic fun. Thus more intense = more fun". But in this country the majority of people view rides as "scary, unpleasant, vomit-inducing, and unsafe".
Seriously, everyone I know outside this forum thinks I'm some kind of sick wierdo with a death wish.

I don't think that's an opinion that can be changed in my life time.

The UK theme park industry is dead and beyond repair. And we can thank Merlin for that.

Seriously, everyone I know outside this forum thinks I'm some kind of sick wierdo with a death wish.
I'd take that as a compliment. Sick weirdo, death wish, sound very 'heavy metal' and 'idgaf about anything'

Absolutely true though, with regards to Merlin. I suspect their practices are to blame for overall reduced attendance more than any other factor. Oh well. I suspect a new theme park will be possible in this country, particularly as Merlin's parks continue to go downhill, the opportunity will become clearer. Many figures in the industry are suggesting this is a real possibility.

Absolutely true though, with regards to Merlin. I suspect their practices are to blame for overall reduced attendance more than any other factor. Oh well. I suspect a new theme park will be possible in this country, particularly as Merlin's parks continue to go downhill, the opportunity will become clearer. Many figures in the industry are suggesting this is a real possibility.

It's only a matter of time until Paramount Park opens after all!

@Benzin We joke about the London resort, and yes, it's pretty much dead in the water. But it would be possible for a new park, its all down to market conditions alongside numerous factors; not just about the price of land. I personally think as Merlin continue their downward spiral, the emergence of a new theme park and its attractiveness to investors will become higher.

That is unless Merlin themselves break up and cease operating some of their theme parks. In which case, same sort of thing but played out differently and perhaps a slower but equally as significant change in the market structure of the UK industry.

Last edited:
It's only a matter of time until Paramount Park opens after all!
You mean 'Disneyland UK' right? :D

I personally don't recognise the picture you're painting for most UK parks, where they're usually busy. Only really Thorpe Park is in big decline (apparently), which is understandable. Theme park visitors are volatile but there's always new generations visiting and young teenagers. Older teenagers and adults aren't really any theme park's target anyway, until they become part of the family market and the cycle starts again. Although, Scarefest always super busy for young adults.

I wouldnt take Smiler jokes to mean much really. Blackpool was packed with teenagers and young adults when I went in the summer too, although unsure if this was any more or less than its had in the past.

I wish parks were recognised more for being good days out, but the truth is they're not in this country anymore, they're extremely overpriced and commercial. But few would go to Efteling, Phantasialand or Europa Park either, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Older teenagers and adults aren't really any theme park's target anyway, until they become part of the family market and the cycle starts again. .
Which is an issue. Being aimed at "all the family" should not just mean family attractions, it should be what it says: big tent, and encompass all possible audiences. Merlin seem to approach everything with short sightedness, and you either have ridiculously thrill focused/marketed parks littered with coasters or stuff that solely appeals for kids.

Guest numbers may be volatile, but you can't dismiss the clear trend after 2015 for two of the parks (Ok Alton Towers is an obvious one but pay more attention to Thorpe Park) that include a large selection of thrill rides. The cutbacks since then are the killing blow, and the results for this will probably be seen in the future (beginning with the UBS lowering Merlin's rating to sell). Now that the Wickerman honeymoon is over, we'll see just how attractive the park really is. I don't particularly blame the non-Merlin parks, market barriers to entry are raised thanks to Merlin's monopolistic presence, and in the current climate for numerous reasons a lot of them are financially limited. Merlin are the sole problem in the industry.

They must be destroyed.