• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Unable to embed image in post

Rick

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Crux
Sorry if I am being thick...

This image (and a number of others) won't embed, as per the below

PostcardTrivia.jpg

However if you quote my post (or mods, if you edit it) you will see the image appear fine in the preview.

Any ideas?

Sorry if I am being thick...

This image (and a number of others) won't embed, as per the below

PostcardTrivia.jpg

However if you quote my post (or mods, if you edit it) you will see the image appear fine in the preview.

Any ideas?

when it's showing in the board itself it is proxied via a page hosted on towerstreet.com, when quoting the forum trusts its safe to load the image directly so does so.
It's failing on the proxy bit.

In the case of the image you've posted it's failing to load due to the file size.

When the image gets proxied by the forum there's a cut-off of 5mb so as not to hammer bandwidth and eat up storage. I can see from opening the image you're linking to it's 6864x4752 px and pretty hefty 18.8mb!

To explain why you see it in Edit/Quote view but not when posted, see the above post and also my comment in the Facebook embed thread:
When you preview a post in edit or quote view the forum fetches the image via it's original URL. However, when viewed as a post it's ran through the proxy, which is why you see it in one place but not another.

Hope that explains it a little :)

In general though I would say trying to serve up images at those sort of file sizes is a bit risky, unless there's a real need to. It'll be hampering pageload which could in turn drag down performance rankings and may see your site ranked lower by services like Google. Besides that it's also a fair old chunk out of someone's data allowance if they're browsing on a mobile with a smaller data plan!

If you really need to retain the full quality it might be preferable to serve the user a smaller version with the option to load the original high-res image should they want to zoom in and really see the fine detail. Generally speaking 1mb or so should be more than enough to display an average, optimised image on the web :)