• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Unexplored Alton Towers

jmc

TS Member
I'm interested in hearing about relatively off the radar area's of Alton Towers which people have stumbled across.
Have you wandered off the path in the gardens and found yourselves in a disused area?
Have you ever found anything interesting in The Towers?

I'm sure there are many interesting hidden gems all over the grounds of Alton Towers.

Note: I don't mean strictly prohibited areas.

Thats a cool video, I have been into a couple of rooms when exploring the towers and seen old sets from the 2010 terror of the towers still there, couldn't tell you what rooms though!

I remember someone posted some pictures once of some abandoned toilets, they were somewhere in the gardens IIRC. Does anyone else recall that?

Yes, the abandoned toilets are there if you look in the right place. I came across them once but can't remember where exactly. I also found an abandoned trolley next to the Swiss Cottage.

It's amazing to think the Swiss Cottage was a restaurant until as late as 1996 - it must have been a very lonely job being the chef there. These days it is completely abandoned...

Re: that video, feel it goes without saying that breaking into the Towers when they're closed (or any other restricted area of the park) is not only incredibly stupid and against park rules but potentially very dangerous given the work that could've been going on inside there at the time. Would not recommend trying to explore scare mazes when they aren't open.

On a brighter note, a group of us the other year had a guided tour of the Towers from the fabulous Di Jones which culminated in a visit to the Swiss Cottage... was fascinating to see inside, so dated! :)

296263_2466224375366_4488618_n.jpg

Anyone for a fag?

300020_2466225455393_922400_n.jpg

The Bar (Sorry Di!)

291846_2466228655473_1591343_n.jpg

Upstairs!

307602_2466252216062_1612537_n.jpg

A kitchen.

314960_2466253736100_7749007_n.jpg

Downstairs.

307125_2466254976131_2512284_n.jpg

Quick peek behind the bar!

Wow! Looks hideous inside! I would have never guessed that familiar brick exterior would hide that. It's a shame there are no old photos of it from when it was a residence.

Magrathea said:
Re: that video, feel it goes without saying that breaking into the Towers when they're closed (or any other restricted area of the park) is not only incredibly stupid and against park rules but potentially very dangerous given the work that could've been going on inside there at the time. Would not recommend trying to explore scare mazes when they aren't open.

My apologies, I just assumed they'd stumbled across it whilst walking through towers and wandered on through. Seems kind of obvious now when you look at it what they've done. Yeah, I don't condone this either haha :)

jmc said:
I'm interested in hearing about relatively off the radar area's of Alton Towers which people have stumbled across.
Have you wandered off the path in the gardens and found yourselves in a disused area?

I'm sure there are many interesting hidden gems all over the grounds of Alton Towers.

Alton Towers keep finding undiscovered bits all the time ;)

Poison Tom 96 said:
jmc said:

Yeah, I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find SW's 8 through 15...

Olii said:
Poison Tom 96 said:
jmc said:

Possibly behind an ancient bookcase?

Poison Tom 96 said:
Olii said:
Poison Tom 96 said:
jmc said:

Possibly behind an ancient bookcase?

In a sealed vault?

Did someone just post pictures of the WeatherVane by mistake, seems to fit descriptions I have found on here perfectly!

:twirly:

The place felt like stepping back in time to a knackered old pub in the late 80's. :D

How far into the gardens are you actually allowed to explore? I'd like to go and visit King Ina's rock and whatever else is down there.

I don't believe the lesser known areas of the grounds such as Ina's rock are strictly out of bounds, I just think they are off the 'official' paths?

Several years ago only by chance I found myself in an area of the Towers used for storage. I didn't realise I was heading into an area not meant for park guests as the gate was open at the time. In one room there were lots of old records from the hotels, with old exit passes for RMT and Rapids strewn accross the floor. There was another room with large dolls and characters, and even old signage for Energizer.

I may be wrong but I think this is the area used for The Sanctuary.

jmc said:
I don't believe the lesser known areas of the grounds such as Ina's rock are strictly out of bounds, I just think they are off the 'official' paths?
The path that heads down there is a little overgrown but there's nothing to stop you or tell you not to go down that way. I think I'll enquire though first.

Thanks! :)

To get specifically to Ina's Rock you actually have to use paths that are outside of the actual theme park boundaries. Loads of other weird and interesting things can be found inside the park mostly by following slightly overgrown paths in the gardens though.

Here's the video of the disused toilets in the gardens that someone mentioned:

Alton Towers Lost Toilets

jmc said:

Several years ago only by chance I found myself in an area of the Towers used for storage. I didn't realise I was heading into an area not meant for park guests as the gate was open at the time. In one room there were lots of old records from the hotels, with old exit passes for RMT and Rapids strewn accross the floor. There was another room with large dolls and characters, and even old signage for Energizer.

I may be wrong but I think this is the area used for The Sanctuary.

Yeah sounds like you found your way into the West Wing, there are various rooms over there which would've had stuff like that lying around in (although mostly now cleared up to make room for the fabulous Sanctuary).

Tut to whoever had left a door open though!