• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

I have to keep reminding myself I am looking at a THEME PARK.

Having not watched the films I don't know much about the buildings featured. I also don't travel to London much, what are they replicas of?

I have to keep reminding myself I am looking at a THEME PARK.

Having not watched the films I don't know much about the buildings featured. I also don't travel to London much, what are they replicas of?

The building on the far left is Kings Cross train station [obviously], which looks like this in reality:

kingscross_1621986c.jpg

[Minus the green roofed area at present]

Next to that is the Charing Cross Road book store, but we'll brush over that as I can't find a decent image of it. The building with the red facade is Leicester Square tube station:

Leicester_Square_stn_northeast_entrance.JPG

The grand white building in the center I believe is meant to resemble Wyndham’s Theatre:

GI076093_942long.jpg

And finally, the row of terraced houses on the right are based on Grimmauld Place from the books and looks identical to the version in the films [with an animatronic Kreacher also standing in one of the windows].

The building on the far left is Kings Cross train station [obviously], which looks like this in reality:

Kings Cross was obviously easy to reference, but the rest I had no clue! Thanks Danny - the tube station/book store is remarkable!!

Looks beautiful! Very true to the HP film visuals and London buildings (as brand new places that smells nice).

I would say give it a few years and the place will look filthy, an accurate replica of the real buildings... although I forgot this park isn't in the UK so they have a thing called maintenance. ;)

Guests have been getting their first taste of the area today courtesy of the talking shrunken head on the Knight Bus:

BpuGhZxCUAAU1Rd.jpg:large

Many people were stood outside King's Cross anticipating a soft opening for Hogwarts Express, however there are numerous reports suggesting there will be no soft openings for at least a week, if any at all.

Now that you mention it, it's not a very Londony building, is it? Bah! Whole park is ruined!

At least all those guests who were turned away the chance of a soft opening got to see this...

BpusW57IIAE5PKg.jpg:large

20140609_204026_zps65e85329.jpg

20140609_203822_zpsf8e9f064.jpg

20140609_204759_zpsf63add30.jpg

20140609_204132_zpsf9d7dd8b.jpg
20140609_204132_zpsf9d7dd8b.jpg

And here's a little peek inside King's Cross:

Last edited:
I like that they've kept a small touch to the old area, always nice when parks do that!

As for a soft opening, I would be a tad surprised if they didn't have one and the US is the home of soft openings. Can anyone remember if they had one in 2010 for the initial area? It would help ease the area in slightly as the crowds on the official opening day are going to be manic!

:)

They have diagon alley on a timed entry thing like fastpass - thus removing the huge queues they had last time. In theory.

I love the fact that the King's Cross Station interior signage uses the correct blue and orange colour scheme of the National Rail station.

Like this:
1280px-London_King%27s_Cross_sign.jpg

More great pics of the London area with the construction walls down here http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2014/06/09/...aterfront-leaky-cauldron-knight-bus-and-more/

The attention to detail is amazing with the poster for the info on the train looking like a UK train station poster and a cabmans shelter as a food kiosk (Americans won't even know what a cabmans shelter is!). Also love that the hotdog from there comes with Crisps (not chips), they seem to be trying to make it all feel British.

It really is a triumph. Still amazes me.

This is the first time existing buildings have been replicated in a theme park. The buildings are also pretty mundane. Weird to think they'll become theme park icons!

Bravo, universal and warner brothers.

Disney. You're. screwed. Step it up. Ditch avatar. Get on Star Wars.

Ah - yes - forgot about that!

But I mean a bog standard building, like Leicester Square Tube Station, a theatre and a train station. It just seems seems a bit different to me!

Sorry if I'm missing something but how will this link between the two parks work? Many people will have a ticket for just one park so this train will be wasted on them. I haven't really been following this construction much so may have missed a crucial point :p

You have to have a ticket for both parks to use the Hogwarts Express. I guess they do park hopper tickets similar to Disney?

:)