• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Alright is a word usually attributed to a swinging ship or a mine train. Not one of the top 3 dark rides in the world! ;)

Thinking about the Forbidden Journey, I wasn't as impressed with the ride aspect as I thought I would be. Perhaps I had built it up in my head so much that regardless of what had happened it wouldn't have lived up to my expectations.

If you take into account the entire experience - from queueline to the additional scenes filmed by the actors - it's second to none. But the ride itself, for me, was inferior to The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman.

Do those who have ridden think the budget cuts to accommodate the area as a whole was worth it? Would you have preferred the original plans for the ride, without the immersion of the surrounding area, or as it is now as a complete package of which the ride is a significant part?

Absolutely worth it, as the final product is still an astonishing attraction and you would never have thought that the ride had been subjected to budget cuts. I imagine the budget transferred from Forbidden Journey into the area of Hogsmede permitted for more vibrant and extensive detail, such as the projections that not many guests notice on the roof of the Three Broomsticks.

The complete package with a superb signature attraction has definitely worked for Universal, and I'm glad full emphasis wasn't given to FJ.

I'm very glad that budget was transferred to enhance the areas level of detail and "immersiveness". I have never been able to 'escape' to another world as much as I have done in Hogsmeade in any other theme park - though I have sadly not done a lot of the european parks and some of their efforts look impressive as well.

I would never have noticed budget cuts from the ride until I read that article. The things cut from the final ride would certainly have improved FJ, but its no Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - it's still one of the most impressive dark rides I've ever been on - just not the best!

I'd put the ride itself behind Spiderman and on a par with Transformers. But if you gave me the option to pick one ride to queue up for for 2 hours, Forbidden Journey would win easily - the queueline and opportunity to walk through Hogsmeade do it. The whole experience blew my previous #1 (Tower of Terror) out of the water.

I'd put the ride itself behind Spiderman and on a par with Transformers. But if you gave me the option to pick one ride to queue up for for 2 hours, Forbidden Journey would win easily - the queueline and opportunity to walk through Hogsmeade do it. The whole experience blew my previous #1 (Tower of Terror) out of the water.

When I visited IoA in 2010 we saved Harry Potter until the end of the day, so rode Spiderman first off. I was absolutely astounded and the experience soon cemented it's feet as my new #1 ride I'd ever encountered. The ride cars, the CGI, the integration with the real sets... everything was just mind blowing.

Then I rode Forbidden Journey.

I had never laid eyes on a single thing Harry Potter related so nothing made sense to me in terms of story, but I realised that the ride and it's surroundings were on another level that far surpassed Spiderman. The roboarms give such a lifelike and fluid movement, and I was stunned by how realistic the screen elements became, plus the interaction with the set pieces was much more personal than Spiderman.

The sheer scale of Forbidden Journey and the surrounded area is captivating... Spiderman is a little bleak in comparison.

I wasn't at all taken in by the PotterMadness on my visit (I'm pretty sure there are some photos of me rolling my eyes while my friends duel with wands and drink butter beer) and so I truly appreciated the ride system and theming elements without the bias of loving the stories.

Personal views and whatnot! :)

I think Spidermans update in 2011, updating the technology slightly and bringing the animation to HD level has helped somewhat - it was quite clear it was animation, as opposed to filming, but the whole "cartoon" nature of the ride meant that it was quite well integrated.

Oddly though, I really disliked the roboarms. Yes, they were smooth but I felt really nauseous on them, which of course will have affected my opinion of the ride as a whole. Once again though, I may have built them up in my head due to the whole "these are the next big thing" during the (clearly exaggerated) SW6/Thirteen construction discussion back in the day. Next time I'll take a buccastem and make sure I'm able to experience it in the full - we only did it once (despite having plenty of time to do it again) due to both myself and the other half being a tad disappointed with it! The ride is clearly something you need to do a couple of times to see everything, so not doing it again is probably the only disappointment of a phenomenal holiday.

I agree with you on the 'sum of parts' statement - the whole Harry Potter area(s) are done to such a scale that regardless of your love for the novels you will enjoy it and is the best experience I have ever had in a park. It had to take something special to knock ToT off the top spot, and it did. I'm hoping to return in a couple of years, work permitting, to get to experience it again!

Last edited:
Is the park close times at Universal like Alton Towers. Like the park close time is actually the ride queue close time. I can't seem to find the info on the website so if anyone knows that would be great.

Progress is coming along on King Kong with the building taking shape at a speedy pace:

BzcAvKOCcAEPx2U.jpg:large

Photo: Orlando Park News

Progress is coming along rapidly for King Kong at the moment, and here's an example.

October 2014:

islands-of-adventure-trip-report-10-10-14-1057-oi.jpg

And November 7th:
islands-of-adventure-trip-report-11-07-14-0258-oi.jpg

Today:

B2Re9BjIcAAH0mb.jpg:large

Images courtesy of Orlando Informer & Orlando Park News.

Reactions: Rob
Wow that is very quick progress! Any idea when it is due to open?

:)

2016, although the timeframe is up in the air. It's been reported to be early 2016, summer 2016 but there's also a possibility it could coincide with the movie being released in November.

And this is the problem with organising a holiday to Florida... there's always something new being built, making you wish you were going at a different time!!

Alas... September next year shall suffice :p

Indeed, and if you go in 2016 you wish you were going in 2017 for Avatar Land. And if you go in 2017 you wish you were going in 2018 for something else Universal are bound to do. And somewhere in there will be a new coaster for Busch! Damn Florida! :p

It shocks me Kong is going into IOA, for me it's a ride that sits in with US. Any news on what the ride will entail?

Is the park doing anything/have anything planned for the release of Jurassic World? Apologies if I've completely bypassed this - it's interesting considering the development of Kong is encroaching on the Jurassic area.

It shocks me Kong is going into IOA, for me it's a ride that sits in with US. Any news on what the ride will entail?

At present it's rumoured (and likely) to be an indoor dark ride, making use of animatronics and screens as well as featuring an outdoor section of track as well.

As for Jurassic World, Universal aren't shouting from the roof about it at present but we'll see.

November 7th:

islands-of-adventure-trip-report-11-07-14-0258-oi.jpg

November 30th:

iUpkLRR8ncQD0.png

ifFmaK59CyvGI.png

Starting to debate whether this is going to be a ride or a hangar that they construct aircrafts in due to its ever expanding size.