Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Alastair, 6th Aug 2012.

1. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Sorry for the double posting (which annoys some people on the Internet for some unknown reason... even if there's a reason for it :p ), but Screamscape has pointed us in the direction of TRACK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ohai, Gringotts Coaster!

Thanks to the Orlando United Forum for the images! :)

2. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Or, just throwing it out there, first of the new S&S FreeFly? Their track looks like that to and the ride matches the film better. A week ago I'd have said not but now we know they do a high capacity version...

...it's possible

3. Rocket

Rocket TowersStreet Member

Hmm
    Looks like skyrush track, maybe intamin have redesigned the drop ride for US as its a much higher budget?

4. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

It amazes me that Universal would trust the decade's biggest coaster project to Intamin. If that's hard to believe, the idea of them leaving it in the hands of S&S is unthinkable.

5. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Ooh good shout there, that's definitely possible and it could work really well! I'm not totally convinced it looks exactly like S&S track after having a little look of RCDB but there are similarities so it could be!

It's definitely not Intamin track. Their new track has a double spine yet there is only one spine on that track, and Intamin don't do track with one cylindrical spine.

:)

6. Nick

Nick TowersStreet Member

It's nothing like the Skyrush track, at all- as Skyrush has the double spine (as shown below):

[​IMG]

Or even like the Intamin tri-rail (this track is thinner from top to bottom).

[​IMG]

It could be the S&S, although I doubt it- considering it's an inside coaster- but definitely a possibility.

It could also be a Premier- considering the relationship with Universal in the past with Revenge of the Mummy- and looking at the track:

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like Intamin or Gerstlauer to me.

7. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    My money would indeed be on Premier. It will be either Premier, S&S, Maurer or Vekoma. They're the main manufacturers that I can think of the produce track similar to that seen in the photo.

8. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Vekoma would be the obvious choice for a project like this. Disney always use them for big coaster projects like BTM and Expedition Everest. You can never predict what their track looks like, it often changes with every project. :p

9. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    While I wouldn't rule out Intamin I can't imagine they would use anything but Bi-Rail for a Th13teen style drop ride. There’s no reason for them to use a reinforced track type when they are limited to trains that have to be lightweight for the drop to work.

Also this is a straight section of track and so likely to be a block break or station section that’ll be under less stress than most. So having track like this either suggests the trains on this ride will be quite heavy or the manufacturer in question only produces track like this (like in the case of B&M that only ever use box track, even in the station).

10. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Blates gonna be a Zierer... Just to troll everyone again...

11. spike1911

spike1911 TowersStreet Member

Looks like the SW7 track? Eurofighter?

12. SLC

SLC TowersStreet Member

I'm sure that whatever the ride manufacturer, the ride will be more focused on theming and little gimmicky tricks such as RotM, meaning reliability and willingness to experiment with new ideas will be the most important factors.

13. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    SW7 has tri-track and that definitely isn't tri-track. It definitely won't be a Gerstlauer.

As SLC has said, elements other than the manufacturer are probably more important when it comes to a coaster like this. Saying that I do think a new design S&S FreeFly would work really well, though it is probably unlikely.

14. Rupert

Rupert TowersStreet Member

This is entirely indoors right? I find the idea that you could squeeze a good, high-capacity S&S Freefly inside a building to be ludicrous. They need so much clearance.

15. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    ^ Which is why I say it's unlikely. It's just an interesting concept, I highly doubt it will happen however.

16. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Yesterday, Orlando Theme Park News has uploaded a nice collection of photos taken in the evenings at IoA and Studios which can all be viewed at the following links:

Part 1

[​IMG]
    This bike is parked at the Port of Entry and is covered in Jaws references (see full album).

[​IMG]
    A photo showing where the Hogwarts Express will arrive at IoA.

Part 2

[​IMG]
    Time for the biggest and most important updates! I'll start with this photo of a new sticker that has been put on the sign at the Coca Cola Freestyle booth in the Lost Continent! :p

[​IMG]
    There's also a new divider between the Jurassic Park River Adventure lockers and the gift shop.

Part 3

[​IMG]
    It seems that Pharos Lighthouse hasn't been lighting up recently.

[​IMG]
    I hope that gets sorted soon!

17. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

18. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

http://spinstheworld.com/2012/11/28/project-722-the-borgin-and-burkes-experience/

19. BigAl

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Harry Potter update, anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also two of the Transformers building as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source.

Edit: Screamscape has also found out a little more about the rumours regarding the Simpsons expansion...

Posted 3rd Dec 2012
  20. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Orlando United have created a timeline that will remain up to date of all updates to the second phase of WWOHP: