• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

If they're in the same condition as Hulk was before they had to almost completely rebuild it, I'm not sure what they would be wasting? I guess it's a decision that goes something along the lines of...

We can spend $x million fixing up Dragons for the next 20 years and have virtually nothing to new to market against that expenditure, or we could spend $y million building a new marketable attraction.

No, I meant if they got rid of it completely and replace it with say 1 coaster and a few other attractions, it'd be a waste to scrap them completely instead of relocating them to another park(s). If Universal were planning to rebuilt them like they did with Hulk (which I'm guessing they're not doing), then yeah obviously both coasters would be scrapped like they did with the old Hulk.

No, I meant if they got rid of it completely and replace it with say 1 coaster and a few other attractions, it'd be a waste to scrap them completely instead of relocating them to another park(s). If Universal were planning to rebuilt them like they did with Hulk (which I'm guessing they're not doing), then yeah obviously both coasters would be scrapped like they did with the old Hulk.
You miss my point entirely. Dragons and Hulk have equal service lives, give or take a few months. I was suggesting that if they had to rebuild Hulk in its entirety, Dragons may be in the same situation, given the gruelling operations schedule that it endures.

Therefore, they may be at a point where they are faced with rebuilding it, as above - or removing it to build something else.

If something is ready for replacement, why shift it to another property to be a maintenance nightmare for you? If it's not ready for scrapping, it would be odd to remove it.

In addition, that ride takes up a lot of space and its perhaps more suited to the IOA of 1999 than it is to the IOA of 2016.

You miss my point entirely. Dragons and Hulk have equal service lives, give or take a few months. I was suggesting that if they had to rebuild Hulk in its entirety, Dragons may be in the same situation, given the gruelling operations schedule that it endures.

Therefore, they may be at a point where they are faced with rebuilding it, as above - or removing it to build something else.

If something is ready for replacement, why shift it to another property to be a maintenance nightmare for you? If it's not ready for scrapping, it would be odd to remove it.

In addition, that ride takes up a lot of space and its perhaps more suited to the IOA of 1999 than it is to the IOA of 2016.

You do realise my original post was about me suggesting that if Dragon Challenge were to be removed (not rebuilt), then it'd be a waste if they were scrapped completely and not relocated to another park. Stop putting words into my mouth. I also think that if they were rebuilt, then the original coasters would be scrapped completely.

You do realise my original post was about me suggesting that if Dragon Challenge were to be removed (not rebuilt), then it'd be a waste if they were scrapped completely and not relocated to another park. Stop putting words into my mouth. I also think that if they were rebuilt, then the original coasters would be scrapped completely.
I know exactly what your post was saying - you have misunderstood mine.

What I was saying is that the same park has a ride built by the same manufacturer that operates 100m away on the same operating schedule.

That ride (Hulk) had reached a point where they had to rebuild it, due to escalating metal fatigue and other issues with the track and rolling stock.

I was suggesting that if Dragons was in the same situation (given that they have the same operating hours, give or take), it would be removed out of necessity (like Hulk) and would be going to the scrap heap - not being sold or relocated.

I was suggesting that if Dragons was in the same situation (given that they have the same operating hours, give or take), it would be removed out of necessity (like Hulk) and would be going to the scrap heap - not being sold or relocated.

I don't disagree with you in saying that I think it will probably be scrapped if it's removed (and realistically I think it will happen). I just think it'd be a shame if it is and it's not rebuilt in the case if it were replaced by something completely new.

FWIW, Dragons only has 2 trains per side, so in theory it should be able to last a lot longer than Hulk did.

If IOA don't want it though there's no real chance of relocation - it's too big for the vast majority of parks and the two sides share too many supports and other systems to be separated economically.

To put it into perspective, having looked on maps the two coasters combined take up an area of approximately 6 acres. That's roughly the size of the entire lawns at Towers, plus more than half of battle galleons!!

I think it's safe to say if they are removed the two coasters are more than likely headed for the scrap heap... Rather sad really :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be such a shame to see them scrapped totally. However the ride has lost its magic since they stopped it duelling.

I guess it won't be perceived as a big loss though considering the ride rarely sees any queues.

This would be a major loss for coasters in Orlando if they are removed. Whatever they plan as a replacement, 2 B&M inverters being removed is a significant decision to have made, and I'm not sure it's the right one

To put it into perspective, having looked on maps the two coasters combined take up an area of approximately 6 acres. That's roughly the size of the entire lawns at Towers, plus more than half of battle galleons!!

Hmm, they could ruin the view somewhat and planning permission may be an issue but I wouldn't say no! :p

Anyway, enough negatives, Nintendo Land! This is now due in Orlando in 2020 (it will appear in Japan beforehand). Orlando should be the biggest land and definitely include the Mario Kart E-ticket and a Donkey Kong mine train style coaster of D-ticket level. There will also very likely be a dark ride themed around Yoshi (it's happening in Japan and should happen in Orlando also but maybe as a phase 2) - this would lead to the removal of ET. There should also be some supporting flat rides.

It sounds very encouraging and it is thought that the dark rides will not be screen based. Credit for all the info goes to various members of Orlando United.

:)

Nintendo Land sounds highly exciting, but the potential loss of ET makes me sad and concerned, hearing it's one of the few original rides left.

Also, gutted I never got to ride the Dragons as it really does sound like they're for the chop to be replaced with a completely new coaster.

Nintendo Land sounds highly exciting, but the potential loss of ET makes me sad and concerned, hearing it's one of the few original rides left.

Also, gutted I never got to ride the Dragons as it really does sound like they're for the chop to be replaced with a completely new coaster.
Oh come on ET is a terrible ride. It's old, doesn't work and is just not relevant anymore. Imo the ride should of gone years ago

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I second that regarding ET. It's very outdated and should have gone a long time ago.

Dragon Challenge is strange one, apart from Hulk & RRR, universal Orlando have no other real coasters. Personally I'd like to see them stay, its not like universal don't have more land elsewhere, especially with the 3rd park on the cards. Yes, it doesn't really fit in with the rest of WWHP, but when you depart the Hogwarts Express at hogsmead, seeing two big intimidating coasters is always good to build up excitement and anticipation.

Unlike Hulk, (well last year at least) it wasn't rough at all either and had aged much better than Hulk, it's probably a better coaster too, especially if you discount the launch on Hulk. Re dueling, it duels in some sense, you still have interaction with the other train, similar to the smiler really. I am also of the thinking they would require too much work to separate with the shared structure. It eats the q's at least! The split should be moved closer to the station though.

Yeah, so I hope they stay or at least stay in Orlando.

I believe part of the reason that E.T. hasn't gone is El Speilbergo, who helped design the ride and is obviously very dear to the film, it being his of course. It's a bargaining chip for his continuing endorsement and involvement, especially with it's Japanese and Californian counterparts long gone.

Personally, I really like the ride. It's one of the few attractions at Universal that's legitimately charming. But yes, it's time is likely up.

Who knows, maybe some European park might buy both the Dragons? Even if they leave them totally unthemed like Monster, we'd still have two cracking B&M inverts on our doorstep.
Hmm, I wonder where they could fit? Maybe Walibi Holland?

... In other news, I hear from a reliable source that Satan recently purchased a sledge.

I didn't think that either of the Dragon Challenge Coasters were anything special. Perhaps I've been spoilt by Nemesis, but all B&M inverts seem to pale in comparison. I'm not overly sad to see them scrapped, especially when you look at the size of area they take up - it could be used well in other ways.

I didn't think that either of the Dragon Challenge Coasters were anything special. Perhaps I've been spoilt by Nemesis, but all B&M inverts seem to pale in comparison. I'm not overly sad to see them scrapped, especially when you look at the size of area they take up - it could be used well in other ways.

Have to disagree. Chinese Fireball is a superb invert, and contains the rarest of rare of all elements on them....the airtime hill! ;)

Reactions: Rob