Universal Studios/IOA Orlando: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by Alastair, 6th Aug 2012.

1. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Looks like Universal got a multibuy discount from Imtamin.

2. Graeme

Graeme TowersStreet Member

2 multiple launches next to each other is an interesting idea, especially as they're pretty much much next door to each other!!

Can't help but feel that Universal studios would benefit from a new coaster, considering we have the new potter one.

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom TowersStreet Member

The Harry potter coaster is more of family thrill coaster though where the Jurassic coaster is going to a be full on thrill ride, I have read today one of the launches will be 75mph plus. from the rumoured leaked layout it looks like you leave the station and enter a small preshow building before the first launch where it looks to follow a compact twisted track layout similar to Taron with a few inversions then it features a long second launch into what I expect is the large 150ft+ high element as looks like a possible top hat (which is just over the lake next to the visitor centre) then heads towards the harry Potter area with some more twists and turns before heading back to the station.

The rumoured theme is Raptors, with the coaster train being a raptor, with the preshow and first launch being released from the enclosure like when they released them in Jurassic World. The theming is said to more the Hulk (Ie the station and queue area with the small pre-show) rather than a fully themed layout like the Harry Potter coaster.

The Orlando area parks are certainly getting a lot of launch coasters with 7 over 4 years!
    2018- Slinky Dog Dash
    2019- Tigris & Harry Potter Coaster
    2020- Jurassic Park Coaster & Possible Sea World launched Coaster
    2021- Guardians of the Galaxy & Tron

jon81uk likes this.
  4. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    So Islands of Adventure will have three coasters... all of which are launched?

I mean this sounds epic but I cant help feeling the B&M flyer seen elsewhere would be a better, more rounded addition to the park.

5. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

LSM launches are better for 365 day parks than chain lifts. Fewer moving parts that need replacing.

6. Maelstrom

I think if Manta hadn't been just a few miles down the road they prob would have added a flyer like the park in Japan, all the launched coasters at Universal though will all be very different rides. Although I like Manta and B&M Flyers I would rather they built a ride like they are over a Flyer which wouldn't really be much different to Manta which I could ride on the same trip.

Will be interesting to see which manufacture SeaWorld go with for their launched coaster.

MakoMania likes this.
  7. Danny

Danny TPWW's no.1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Shame they couldn't have held on a few years to see how Vekoma's new flyer turns out. They could have certainly had a one up on Manta with a dark ride/launch combo on a flyer.

8. Maelstrom

Maybe they will use this ride system in the planned new park with one of IPs going in there. Apparantly universal were very impressed with Macks suspended coaster ride system as well so I expect one of those might show up in the new park as well, which again would be unique to Orlando.

9. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Here is a look at the leaked/rumoured layout:

[​IMG]

Source

This is really going to be the true replacement for Dueling Dragons in term of it being an out and out thrill coaster as opposed to the new family launch coaster on the site of the former B&Ms.

It looks to be a very interesting layout, hopefully a good mix of airtime and inversions. Universal could be getting a real top class coaster here!

AltonBuzz, DiogoJ42, Matt N and 2 others like this.
  10. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Yes the new Jurassic coaster will be a thrill ride. The new Potter Forbidden Forest coaster will have some thrill elements, but also some dark ride elements and show scenes, they will be very different. Its like comparing Thirteen and Nemesis.

11. spinba11

spinba11 TowersStreet Member

It looks like there is an issue with one of the lifts on transformers so it’s running at half capacity.

12. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    New video you may want to watch. Man this development is exciting!

AltonBuzz, Pixie-Ro, Benjsh and 4 others like this.
  13. Poopoohead

Poopoohead TowersStreet Member

That’s exactly what is needed in Orlando imo

14. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    Great to see a true replacement for Dueling Dragons. I'd say it's going to be the best coaster in Florida, but BGT may have something to say about that!

15. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Some previously unseen concept art has been leaked for the Harry Potter themed rollercoaster under construction at Islands of Adventure. :D

[​IMG]

AltonBuzz, Andrew, AstroDan and 5 others like this.
  16. Bert2theSpark

Bert2theSpark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Octonauts
    I wonder if J.K Rowling has been Alton Towers, rode Th13teen and thought “Ooh imagine that but Harry Potter”.

Honestly the resemblance to 13 is uncanny.

speedy likes this.
  17. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Except this looks good.

Benjsh, Brad97, Rob and 3 others like this.
  18. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

Needs more scaffolding.

Martin, AT86, Benjsh and 7 others like this.
  19. Graeme

Graeme TowersStreet Member

And less trees.

djtruefitt, Sammy and Robert.W like this.
  20. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Bravo Sir!

Graeme and djtruefitt like this.