• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

It might seem like a pointless update, but this development could actually mean more space for the parks / resort aspect of Universal Orlando in years to come. :p

Clearly going to get a job at IOA just for that glistening expanse of tarmac right there...!!

I simply cannot believe how grand the new area is looking from the concepts - Hogsmeade and Forbidden Journey left me awestruck in 2010 and I didn't even like Harry Potter at the time! DO we think that Dragon will be on the top of the building for Gringotts, or will he be hiding inside to chase the visitors away...?

HOW EXCITING :D *does a little dance*

Sazzle said:
DO we think that Dragon will be on the top of the building for Gringotts, or will he be hiding inside to chase the visitors away...?

The dragon will be animatronic, breathe fire and sit atop the Gringotts building :) (I posted an aerial image further back that shows the plinth that it will reside on).

Danny said:
Sazzle said:
DO we think that Dragon will be on the top of the building for Gringotts, or will he be hiding inside to chase the visitors away...?

The dragon will be animatronic, breathe fire and sit atop the Gringotts building :) (I posted an aerial image further back that shows the plinth that it will reside on).

Dear god that will look insane.

I think everything about both of these huge Harry Potter investments has been and will be insane!!

I can't express how desperate I am to get back to Florida and see it all for myself. I had to put up with seeing it being built in 2009!

:)

The existing WWOHP development is one of the best theme park experiences in the world. Certainly from the parks I have visited across Europe and the USA, it isn't eclipsed by anything really.

I remember when I visited back in 2010, the excitement was something else. I also remember, quite fondly, how one evening, for the last 1/2 hour of opening, Forbidden Journey was walk on. The staff member told us how it had never been like that before!

The ride is amazing. It's fun, thrilling and exciting all at the same time. And the theme work/scenery is brilliant, too. The execution of the Hogwarts queue line is also out of this world.

The only negative is the fact that Dragon Challenge is entirely unthemed upon leaving the station. It's the only hole in an otherwise awesome area.

The London additions to WWOHP are much needed to cope with the crowds, and I for one cannot wait to return in the summer of 2015!

I can't wait to experience it all, but equally I can't wait to see what Universal build with the increased earnings. Since HP, there's been an explosion of ideas and developments!

I don't think there is going to be a year that goes by without something of large interest occurring at Universal until at least 2020. The Jurassic Park expansion in itself will be slightly larger than people imagine, and no doubt Kong will be an incredible investment. Disney will well and truly be peeking over at Universal with their draws dropped for a lengthy amount of time now.

Danny said:
Disney will well and truly be peeking over at Universal with their draws dropped for a lengthy amount of time now.

I do wonder. When Islands of Adventure opened, Disney were worried and attendance remained stable/increased. When Wizarding World of Harry potter opened, the same occurred and ever since the area opened, Disney has seen increased attendance across its estate. Perhaps when the extension opens, Disney will also see a bump in attendance. I'd prefer the opposite, I'd like to see Disney caught in the headlights and forced into significant investment at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios as those two could do with some bigger draws.

Nonetheless, you can tell Universal is putting there all into this, it really shows how significant the Harry Potter franchise is too their parks.

the rumours suggest King Kong now and I thought that was instead of the once planned Jurassic park attractions, however I would have thought a new jP ride would have been the better option with Jurassic World released in 2015

Disney won't be too worried with close to 50m guests per year across the 4 parks, and will remain Orlando's biggest draw. Universal have said what they want to do is encourage guests who are in Orlando for Disney to spend a couple of days at their resort rather than spending the full hol at Disney world. Disney have introduced dinning plans and now magic+ bands to encourage resort guests to remain on property.

Disney wasn't hurt with the original Harry potter area, and back in the late 90's Disney became very worried about the impact IOA would have when it opened in 1999 and planned a new major ride for each of their parks (fire mountain for magic kingdom, beastly kingdom for animal kingdom, villains ride at Hollywood studios and unknown ride for Epcot) however when IOA didn't perform as expected and had no impact on Disney world attendance Disney canceled all those projects. Shame as would be great if universal did start to have an impact on Disney so we get more attractions added at Disney world.

No, the Jurassic Park developments are still going ahead (well, there's a selection of ideas, no idea which they're going with) on top of Kong, HP, the E.T refurb and retheme / replacement of Disaster.

They're also considering adding Middle Earth, retheming the remainder of Lost Continent, building more for the resort on the leftover land by Cabana Bay and there's the third park idea proposed for down the road, near the convention centre.

If somehow anyone fails to grasp the extent that Universal have gone to regarding details in Diagon Alley, this huge construction update should blow your mind. Infact, it'll blow your mind regardless of what you think of the project.

The site of where King Kong will eventually reside is currently in the process of being cleared, as well as markers cropping up around the site each day:

unnamed.jpg

After looking at a video, I'd say The Incredible Hulk is in dire need of a repaint.

BenBowser said:
After looking at a video, I'd say The Incredible Hulk is in dire need of a repaint.

When was the video you watched dated, if you don't mind me asking? The ride looked awful and in need of a repaint not that long ago. However since 2011, it has been repainted and looks much better.

Danny said:
BenBowser said:

When was the video you watched dated, if you don't mind me asking? The ride looked awful and in need of a repaint not that long ago. However since 2011, it has been repainted and looks much better.
2009. :-[

It looked considerably worse back then. Although with that said, it is starting to look awful again in the same suspect areas as last time.