• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Epic Universe - New Florida Theme Park

Out of interest the never going to happen London Resort doesn't even get the green or red light till Spring 2022 and want to open in 2024. What planet are they living on? Hahahaha.
I think the definition of open is very different to Epic Universe. I’ve never expected London Resort to open as a theme park on day one, they will have something else first and if the theme park does open it will come later anyway.

but yes the speed that Universal can get things sorted is fantastic!

Bump! (again)

New patents have been released showing the potential ride system of the Universal Classic Monsters rumoured dark ride, which will utilize the same ride system as Forbidden Journey. This fantastic video explains more; :)

Be very interesting to see how the plans for this park develop. On the face of it it looks absolutely incredible and the classic Monsters Land definitely is the biggest appeal to me even though I'm sure Mario and the next Harry Potter inspired land will make them far more money.

The Universal's Monsters land is definitely the signature highlight of the park. As I've said before Epic Universe hasn't shown anything yet that's really groundbreaking compared to Universal Studios or IOA, except this! All the other lands are generic IPs that could be slotted into the other two parks. But a "Universe" of monsters is a really cool concept that could work well in a new style of park.
And the use of the enhanced Forbidden Journey ride system is a very good sign it's getting the proper headline treatment.

This could potentially be the best theme park in the world when it opens. Not for thrilling roller coasters of course but the theming and technology will be out of this world no doubt. Tokyo Disney Sea will have a run for it's money for sure.

This could potentially be the best theme park in the world when it opens. Not for thrilling roller coasters of course but the theming and technology will be out of this world no doubt. Tokyo Disney Sea will have a run for it's money for sure.
Feels like a tall order. For my money their two existing Florida parks aren't as good as DisneySea after evolving over multiple decades so to do something that epic out of the gate feels like a big ask.

The latest rumour is the park will now feature 4 coasters rather than previous planed 3. With the theatre show planned for the classic Monsters Land being replaced with a family thrill Mack spinning coaster (not an extreme spinner) it is unknown if this will be indoors or outdoors.

Also the How to train your dragon coaster is expected to be from Intamin, and on a thrill level just below Hagrids and will be themed to being trained to ride and fly on a dragon, It will apparantly also feature launches.

None of the rumoured coasters look like world beating rides tbf. I suppose the theme and experience will more than make up for it though.

The Donkey Kong ride is probably the most exciting for me given its new technology being used.

Don't think Islands of Adventure will be beaten by this park upon opening. That would really take some beating now.

None of the rumoured coasters look like world beating rides tbf. I suppose the theme and experience will more than make up for it though.

The Donkey Kong ride is probably the most exciting for me given its new technology being used.

Don't think Islands of Adventure will be beaten by this park upon opening. That would really take some beating now.
I think the big headliner here is whatever that dueling coaster is going to be. Rumour has it that it’s going to be some sort of Mack, as Mack filed a patent for dueling zero-g rolls and has said that Universal is working on the largest Mack coaster project ever, for what it’s worth.

That could admittedly be outdated information, however… I’m not too up with the Epic Universe developments, sorry.

In terms of the IOA bit; I think beating IOA out of the gate would be a tall order. It’s my favourite park in the world, and that’s even based on my last visit being before they jazzed up their coaster selection, so who knows how highly it would sit now!

I don’t know how common of an opinion this is, but if reviews of VelociCoaster and Hagrid’s are anything to go by, I honestly reckon IOA’s ride lineup might be “firing on all cylinders” more than that of any other park in the world right now. I know that might seem blasphemous to say, but even when I last went, I would say they had at least 2 top class dark rides (haven’t done Kong) and at least 2 top class water rides (somehow haven’t done Dudley), and it now appears that they could well have 2 top class coasters in VelociCoaster and Hagrid’s too (Although “top class” is merely my opinion, of course, and I haven’t ridden VC or Hagrid’s)! So if we’re talking in terms of “breadth and variety of top class attractions in terms of ride types”, then I’m struggling to think of any park in the world that has a wider variety of top class attractions than IOA, based on reviews. At IOA, coasters, dark rides and water rides are now seemingly all presented by at least 1 “top class” ride if general consensus is anything to go by, which is something that few parks can say!

Last edited:
I am intrigued to see what they do with certain parts of the park.

Not over impressed by the Mario Kart ride that opened in Tokyo though. Admittedly my expectations were very high but from the POV's it looks, dare I say it, a bit boring. Hopefully the Donkey Kong Coaster is a lot better.

The Classic Monsters dark ride will surely be a hugely popular ride and quite possibly the stand out attraction for many on opening day.

The huge Mack launch coaster too as you point out Matt will be good too.

IOA is without doubt one of the best parks anywhere in the world now. I haven't been since 2013 either so there's plenty of new stuff to try out whenever I do get over there again.

As above, a new park is never going to be better than an established park from opening. The sensible business option for opening a new park is to build all the core rides in the first phase. Budgets have to be shared wisley between opening day attractions to also be spread across all necessary infrastructure to get the park in a functioning state. Its phase 2 when a large budget can solely be given to a headline attraction.
IOA is one of the few cases that a headline ride like Spiderman managed to get into the opening line-up. Jurrasic Park had already been built in California, and the 2 cartoon water rides were core to the parks layout and couldn't be pushed back to a later stage.
But even so, the parks most famous rides now (HP and VelociCoaster) are expansion additions.

Just wish we were getting something other than a new Potterverse in one of the lands. I don't think Universal needs a new Potter Inspired land even if it will obviously be very popular among guests.

The park should have 3 major and high budget dark rides, with Mario Kart (hopefully rides better than the online clips of the ride I have seen). The monsters dark ride is meant to be using the Kula Arm ride system but with the thrill level upped a bit from forbidden journey, plus won’t use the screens like forbidden journey with more physical sets.

The Harry Potter ride is also meant to be another high budget dark ride and will use a new ride system, where we are likely to be riding in some kind of lift in the ministry of magic. The ride will be multiple level and move around multiple sets both horizontally and vertically, plus the cars rumoured to include Spider-Man style motion bases and possible drops (like Disney's rise of the Resistance).

I am still surprised they are adding the twin sky flys, unique ride to Orlando and does fit the theme but even with two capacity will be an issue for a Universal park. There was previous rumours that universal had developed their version of the avatar flight of passage ride with the how to train your dragon theme, but that doesn’t seem to be the case as it doesn’t appear on the permits that have been submitted for the land.

I did think if the duelling Mack would be an extreme spinner as a way to difference the ride from Orlando’s others launched coasters. But now with rumour of a separate Mack spinner that seems unlikely. However a Big Dipper model like what Europa are building could be a possibility as there are no wing style coasters in Orlando.

Rumours now point to the main new Harry Potter ride using a modified version of the spiderman/transformers ride system. The cars though will look different and look like elevators. It will apparently use the lift technology that they use in transformers, which is just used to maximise space on transformers and you can’t actually tell you have changed level, where they want you to know your changing levels on this ride. You won’t need 3D glasses as per current trends and will blend alot of physical theming with supporting High def screens, plus lots of the very latest special effects, that will appear to bring magical effects into the room around you. The land also 600+ seat theatre for some kind of Harry Potter show.

The orginally planned second ride (VR broom stick ride) was moved to universal studios to open in 2024 (though rumour now say this is cancelled). Universal have recently paid for the permits for the building at epic universe where this was going, it’s unsure if they have got a replacement ride planned or will be used for future expansion.

Also the Dueling Mack coaster is rumoured that each track will be 5000ft in length- with a total of 10,000ft across both.

Looks like the How to Train your Dragon coaster is an Intamin. Coaster parts labelled as a Intamin Family launched coaster have arrived in Miami, with a project label that matches that of the project number (from the permits filled) for the How to train your dragon coaster.

Looks like the How to Train your Dragon coaster is an Intamin. Coaster parts labelled as a Intamin Family launched coaster have arrived in Miami, with a project label that matches that of the project number (from the permits filled) for the How to train your dragon coaster.
Well given the success of both Hagrid's and Velocicoaster, I'm not surprised they've gone with Intamin again! 🙂

Construction on Epic Universe is really flying along now:

FVXbjrNWIAMpEDE

Source: bioreconstruct

In the foreground of that photo is Super Nintendo World. I believe the building at the park will be part of the Harry Potter/Wizarding World area, with Universal Monsters on the left and How to Train Your Dragon over on the right.

Some coaster track is also now onsite: