• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Epic Universe - New Florida Theme Park

As someone who went to school in the 90's, I still can't get over the concept of a Super Nintendo World. It hurts everyone one of my fanboy bones. Please to God will someone build a Sega Mega Drive World.

As someone who went to school in the 90's, I still can't get over the concept of a Super Nintendo World. It hurts everyone one of my fanboy bones. Please to God will someone build a Sega Mega Drive World.

Other than Sonic is there enough Sega characters to make a whole land?

Other than Sonic is there enough Sega characters to make a whole land?

You could base some rides and attractions on some classic arcade games.

Super Hang On booster bike coaster
Out-Run multi launch coaster
Shinobi dark ride (ie like Ninjago The Ride)

There could be a medieval fantasy styled area based on Golden Axe with a woodie, a Green Hill Zone area from Sonic, a Fantasy Zone area with a Space Harrier flying theatre ride, and so on. Chuck in an Ecco The Dolphin water coaster or flume, an Afterburner air race, Crazy Taxi dodgems, etc and you’d have some nicely themed attractions.

It would never happen of course but us Sega fans can dream. Sega don’t even know how to use their classic franchises as video games these days let alone base theme park rides on them.

You could base some rides and attractions on some classic arcade games.

Super Hang On booster bike coaster
Out-Run multi launch coaster
Shinobi dark ride (ie like Ninjago The Ride)

There could be a medieval fantasy styled area based on Golden Axe with a woodie, a Green Hill Zone area from Sonic, a Fantasy Zone area with a Space Harrier flying theatre ride, and so on. Chuck in an Ecco The Dolphin water coaster or flume, an Afterburner air race, Crazy Taxi dodgems, etc and you’d have some nicely themed attractions.

It would never happen of course but us Sega fans can dream. Sega don’t even know how to use their classic franchises as video games these days let alone base theme park rides on them.
This is all great but, the vast majority of the public know a very limited range of video games. Sonic himself is pretty far down even that list, nothing else Sega has comes close. Even Nintendo - arguably the king of video games - only really have Pikachu and Mario as their characters with mainstream recognition

This is all great but, the vast majority of the public know a very limited range of video games. Sonic himself is pretty far down even that list, nothing else Sega has comes close. Even Nintendo - arguably the king of video games - only really have Pikachu and Mario as their characters with mainstream recognition

I know, like I say a Sega fan can only dream, nothing like that would ever happen. The time for Sega to have opened a park would have been in the early to mid 90’s when they were on a roll.

I think the Nintendo brand is strong enough to have a themed area inside a park although I do find it a little strange that the Pokemon theme park (PokePark) that opened in Japan in 2005 and moved to Taiwan for 2006 was only a very brief temporary thing for a few months in each location and never found a more permanent home after that. Pokemon is still a very big thing and you’d think that it would have been an idea by a park somewhere to capitalise on that and create a Pokemon themed land.

Expedition Theme Park did a nice little video on the unfortunately short lived PokePark.
https://youtu.be/uipJi5nLfWQ

Universal have the IP now for Pokémon. I understand their have been various plans for Pokémon lands and attractions. Current rumour is it will be used as an epic universe expansion on the empty land between Nintendo land and the monsters land. I would expect to See Pokémon rides/attractions open in the Japan park first though.

Also been long standing rumour Zelda, will replace the remains of IOA lost continent at some point, last I read that the plans wouldn’t move foreword until after epic universe. Universal focus for next few years is obviously on epic universe but also any new attractions before then will go to the studios as they feel IOA doesn’t need anything for a while due to getting hagrids and Jurassic park coasters over the past few years.

Also Pokemon isn't owned by Nintendo, its The Pokemon Company who look after that franchise.

But yes its been talked about for either a KidZone replacement at the main park or an Epic Universe expansion.

There is plenty going on around the site at the moment. Images from bioreconstruct on Twitter - notably the DK car on the track and landscape around the duelling coasters:

F5NWsijXAAAaA5h
F5NW8HCXsAEHG-P

F5M-h2qWwAEXEsD
F4AlfP2WsAE-X3j
F5NJoq4XoAAGNAL
F5NF8WcXQAAotO1
F5NB2qCWgAEkR04

I love following bioreconstruct's updates, they've always been brilliant! It really is all coming together now, and doesn't feel like it was that long ago that the place was just a patch of bare land. It is not often that you get the chance to watch a whole new theme park be constructed in this way.

What an awful attraction name that is.

Luckily, HP fandom is really falling off a cliff, so we won’t be stuck with these lands forever. EU’s will be much easier to reskin, as it’s essentially a scale build of France (an intentional choice?), whereas the other 2 lands could become a problem in the future.

Even putting JKR to one side, there’s a lot less Potter merch etc in shops compared to even 5 years ago. Nothing in local toy shops, barely anything even in Primark (this was a prime candidate for home decor for people with no money clinging to their happier youth) - kids aren’t interested in this juggernaut any more and there’s only a matter of time until JKR says or does something that she can’t claw back from

While JKR is toxic and the Fantastic Beast series is a disaster, Hogwarts Legacy crossed $1 billion in sales within a month just this year and Warner Brothers/HBO are soon to remake the entire series into what will be one of the most expensive TV shows of all time.

I'm a casual HP fan, but the 'worlds' of it are undoubtedly fun to be in and explore, which seems to be what counts in theme park design to encourage spend. Not to mention, some people "clinging to their happier youth" might have no money, but plenty of them have it to burn.

Last edited:
What an awful attraction name that is.

Luckily, HP fandom is really falling off a cliff, so we won’t be stuck with these lands forever. EU’s will be much easier to reskin, as it’s essentially a scale build of France (an intentional choice?), whereas the other 2 lands could become a problem in the future.

Even putting JKR to one side, there’s a lot less Potter merch etc in shops compared to even 5 years ago. Nothing in local toy shops, barely anything even in Primark (this was a prime candidate for home decor for people with no money clinging to their happier youth) - kids aren’t interested in this juggernaut any more and there’s only a matter of time until JKR says or does something that she can’t claw back from
That’s interesting.

From where I’m standing, Potter fandom still seems pretty strong. Plenty of people still buy Potter stuff, wear the robes and such, and they’re soon launching a big new Harry Potter TV series on HBO Max. The two Universal land certainly still seemed to be very busy when I went in June, and plenty of people still go to Universal exclusively for Potter. To me, at least, Potter still seems like a massively popular heavyweight brand in the same way as the likes of Star Wars.

You can think what you like about JK Rowling’s own beliefs, but to a degree, I think that Harry Potter has grown beyond Rowling herself, and plenty of people love Harry Potter without having to agree with what Rowling says. With the films, games, upcoming TV series and such, I think Harry Potter as a franchise is certainly big enough to divorce itself from JK Rowling. At this point, it’s more than just the books, and the Universal lands are based on the Warner Bros films rather than the books.

I don't see the Harry Potter fandom going any time soon, despite JK Rowling's outdated beliefs. The attraction name is definitely not great, though.

It's also been rumoured the first expansion will come in 2026 and will be a Great hall themed Restaurant experience to the Harry Potter area. (although would fit better in IOA) its expected to be more like a dinner show, which will be in the $150-$200+ per person price range. The Harry Potter lands at Universal are as still as popular as ever and continue to be a licence to print money for Universal.

They already cut one ride from the land so I can’t see an expansion coming imminently

And once again, I think as a forum it’s easy to forget that the primary market for most theme parks - and certainly the Orlando parks - is families with children. And it’s those kids who couldn’t care less about Potter

The ride thats been cut was due To changes during covid, when the park was delayed and paused construction they moved the now cancelled second ride over to universal studios and planNed to replace the fear factor live stage area for a 2023/2024 opening. However it was decided the attraction (vr broom attraction) was not up to scratch was scrapped.

the lands remain incredible popular inc Families with kids, they are still the busiest areas in the universal parks, and have some of the longest lines. the Harry Potter lands are going no where anytime soon.

And once again, I think as a forum it’s easy to forget that the primary market for most theme parks - and certainly the Orlando parks - is families with children. And it’s those kids who couldn’t care less about Potter
As far as I could see, the lands were still pretty rammed with kids when I went to Universal in June, and plenty of kids still like Harry Potter. I do think Harry Potter as a brand still has considerable appeal to young children in the same way as it did back in the day.

And I also don’t think the impact of adult fandom should be understated. Yes, adults may not be the prime demographic of Universal theme parks, but there are a huge amount of die-hard adult fans of Harry Potter and other franchises such as Star Wars that would spend big money on experiences themed to that franchise.