• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Unusual views of Alton Towers... from afar!

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Today, myself, John, Jordan and Mattmash decided to go for a stroll around Alton village. I had done this on a few occasions in the past (the most recent being in the 2009/10 closed season with Vik), and fancied having a look at Alton Castle and wandering round a few of the streets.

It's quite amazing what you can see of the theme park from various vantage points in and around the village. Head a little off-piste, across a couple of fields, and you'll be treated to views which you may not be accustomed to.

Yes, from various places it is possible to see parts of The Towers, Rita, Nemesis, Air, Forbidden Valley Skyride and Splash Landings Hotel. It almost makes you start to appreciate the reason why Thunder Looper was removed and why planning at the park is so painstakingly difficult. In such a tranquil - and beautiful - environment, who would honestly want masses of steel obstructing such amazing countryside? That said, a happy balance is important - and I believe this balance is achieved.

Anyway - here's a few images. I apologise for blurred pictures, but I was using my point and shoot and the distances are quite considerable!

Air:
405029_10100296419387205_903957330_n.jpg

Air and Nemesis:
67624_10100296419966045_1140077996_n.jpg

More B&M:
394973_10100296420010955_766473349_n.jpg

In those trees beyond lies one of Europe's great theme parks - amazing!
542999_10100296420195585_286382658_n.jpg

But what is this? Look a little more... closely and you'll see:

RITA!
60547_10100296420300375_1808768279_n.jpg

Flag Tower... we just couldn't spot Th13teen's lift hill anywhere.
263777_10100296420425125_1459847689_n.jpg

It almost makes you wonder how they got away with that colour scheme on Splash Landings:
417048_10100296420679615_975517525_n.jpg

All images are my own / towersstreet's

I hope to get some similar of X Sector and other parts of the park over this winter. Does anyone else have any to share?

:D

Re: Alton Towers from afar...

It looks amazing wish I had come down :)

It was a nice trek through quite a few fields to get those views today! :)

Now that we know where to go, we were thinking that we could perhaps do it again at Beach Party for anyone who's interested, and if the weather is better, we could maybe head a bit further than we did today (alas, boggy fields got the better of us).

Going with someone who has a better camera would also be helpful...

:D

Lovely pictures Dan! I like seeing this the other way round as well, like being on the rides and seeing outside the park! =)

It's the perfect time for a stroll as most of the structures would be completely obscured at any other time of year. I guess this is one reason you'd be unlikely to see the major rides working after the leaves have fallen?

Tim said:
It's the perfect time for a stroll as most of the structures would be completely obscured at any other time of year. I guess this is one reason you'd be unlikely to see the major rides working after the leaves have fallen?

I certainly think you'd be able to see Air/Nemesis through Feb HT. Rita also, does seem to have that one high point quite exposed, so perhaps...

The Skyride gondola's would also be visible i think.

:)

You can find truly spectacular views of the park from the area around Ramshorn and the Weaver Hills which are in the background of one of those photos. You can look down, see the towers and the entire park laid out around it. The twirling toadstool sticks out a mile and you can clearly make out Oblivion, the skyride, the monorail and back in the day you could see Corkscrew too. I would share photos but I've never had a good enough camera.

You do get some cracking views in some parts of Alton.

Every time I'm on my school bus, I look out the window and I see this view. It's beautiful. And I'm very lucky to be able to see stuff like that everyday.

I also try and keep my eyes open, in hope in seeing some SW7 cranes or some other interesting stuff.

Some really great photos there! I never realised how much you could actually see from outside of the park.

We had a very brief jaunt at last year's beach party trying to find hills on which to get good views of the park but little success was had thanks to foggy weather! Would certainly be up for a good ramble some time soon to check these out :)

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd bring this one back up. I went on a few little walks around Towers today and got a few snaps of some of the rides with my new camera. You really can see a lot!

We start with a familiar view for me; The Smiler and Oblivion:
P1000135_zps57d47470.jpg

The Smiler is still standing! ;) And incidentally, the Marmaliser screen was on today:
P1000134_zps616566ad.jpg

Splash Landings, a great contrast against the natural landscape:
P1000143_zpse29f6543.jpg

You can see here just how much Splash does stand out:
P1000155_zps0c7a64ee.jpg

Nemmy and Air:
P1000144_zps9e556550.jpg

And a close up of each:
P1000146_zps13f96762.jpg

P1000147_zps0182bd98.jpg

Something I've never seen from outside of the park before despite trying on many occasions, Thirteen:
P1000148_zpsc3dd25b7.jpg

It's the hotel monorail station:
P1000149_zps5a74704b.jpg

And here is the Skyride:
P1000163_zps7bb02256.jpg

ATH making an appearance through the trees:
P1000162_zps88dda427.jpg

When you stand back and look at it all in one it is amazing to think that there is one of the biggest theme parks in Europe sitting amongst the trees. I do honestly think that is quite a magical thought. But in the winter with no leaves on the trees you can see a fair bit. You could even hear the Christmas music playing from inside of the park from where I was, and that was a fair distance away!

I hope you enjoyed that.

I'm really surprised you can see so much of the park! Were you walking around Alton?

Yeah, most of them were taken on the footpath that leads to and past Wheel Farm to the east of Alton.