• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Walibi Rhône-Alpes: General Discussion

Rob

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Walibi Rhône-Alpes is not a park we often talk about and for good reason, they're current coaster line-up is very poor with their best offering being a Vekoma Boomerang.

Well yesterday this small park near Lyon announced that they signed a deal with Gravity Group for a new wooden coaster in 2016:
Walibi Rhône-Alpes said:
@WalibiRA and @thegravitygroup formalize the new attraction in 2016! It will be a wooden roller coaster.
Gravity Group said:
Airtime is headed to the French Alps!

CKnhYNWWoAAGyr1.jpg

We are being rather spoilt in Europe when it comes to woodies right now. UK parks, take note!

:)

Bump! Contruction on this coaster is progressing:

12241108_1487246948247365_8987906533760149223_o.jpg

12238176_1487246958247364_5798043516244228117_o.jpg

11226020_1487246978247362_8663056674781081312_o.jpg

Source

No doubt going to be lots of fun!

Stopped watching five seconds in. If they speed up the footage so crudely on the lift hill, how can I trust that the rest of it is at the correct speed?

Stopped watching five seconds in. If they speed up the footage so crudely on the lift hill, how can I trust that the rest of it is at the correct speed?

May be being unfair here but it does look sped up doesn't it?

The way it bounces around doesn't look natural to me.

According to RCDB, Walibi Rhône-Alpes will be getting a new coaster from Gerstauler in 2019. Details are very limited thus far however they are classifying it as a sit-down extreme coaster.

Likelihood is a compact Eurofighter I would imagine but you never know!

Double post already!

Looks like it is actually going to be an Infinity Coaster, the deal was agreed last month at IAAPA.

Looks promising so far and a brilliant addition for this relatively small park.

Last edited:
I wonder what the surprise will be? If Gerstlauer have mentioned it then I'm presuming that it will be part of the ride system and not something theatrical a la The Shed at Kings Island.

Actually according to this recreation it will be like the Gravity Group coaster at ZDTs in Texas - the car will be launched back through the layout and a switch will bring the car back to the station.

Weird.

Actually according to this recreation it will be like the Gravity Group coaster at ZDTs in Texas - the car will be launched back through the layout and a switch will bring the car back to the station.

Weird.

Oh! Sounds interesting. I believe that this is the first Infinity Coaster that is a proper shuttle coaster and not a backwards-and-forwards launching coaster like a Sky Rocket II. I believe the technical term for that is a semi-shuttle coaster. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
EDIT: Just made a few stray observations while watching the POV. The actual spike looks quite interesting, as it looks to rather resemble the spike on V2 at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, even though it is a completely different sort of coaster to this:

Also, have Walibi/Gerstlauer revealed the angle of the first drop on this at all? Because it didn't look beyond-vertical from the POV, but I think that all of the Infinity Coasters and Eurofighters with vertical lift hills apart from Smiler and Mystery Mine have had beyond-vertical drops immediately following their vertical lift hills, whether they are braked or not.

On a side note, 2019 is shaping up to be another big year for Compagnie des Alpes, what with this and with Walibi Holland apparently getting a "unique large coaster" according to the park president. Even though that "unique large coaster" is possibly going to be an S&S 4D Free Spin.

On yet another side note, will this have lap bars or OTSRs? Other recent Gerstlauer Infinity Coasters would imply lap bars, but I once watched an interview with a Gerstlauer executive, and he said that the lap bar system doesn't work on coasters with both a lift hill and a launch. I think it was in relation to the Takabisha clone in New Jersey.

P.S. I sincerely apologize for the length of this post!

Last edited:
This park has been getting a lot of love recently - definitely going to be worth a trip after this - along with Le Pal.

This park has been getting a lot of love recently - definitely going to be worth a trip after this - along with Le Pal.

I know, right? It seems like after quite some time without new coasters, all 3 Walibi parks are being invested in left, right and centre! Did Compagnie des Alpes win the lottery or something?

Sorry for double posting, but according to this BlooLoop article (https://blooloop.com/news/zamperla-festival-city-walibi-rhone-alpes/), Walibi Rhône-Alpes is receiving a new area called Festival City that is due to be completed in phases, with the first phase opening in 2018 and the development being completed in 2020, with 3 new Zamperla rides. These are:
  • A Zamperla Vertical Swing named The Kreolian.
  • A currently unnamed Zamperla Rockin' Tug.
  • A currently unnamed Zamperla Samba Balloon.
Nice to see this park getting some quality investment!

I wasn't binge reading, I found the article while reading the article that @Rob posted, come to think of it! I found that article on Screamscape.