• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

weight restrictions on rides

does anyone know what the weight restrictions are on the rides? I don't like rides at the best of times but want to go on some with the kids but I know it sounds stupid but im petrified of the harnesses etc I get scared they will come open or anything, I know its pathetic but just need some reassurance, thanks xx

lianne.nettley said:
does anyone know what the weight restrictions are on the rides? I don't like rides at the best of times but want to go on some with the kids but I know it sounds stupid but im petrified of the harnesses etc I get scared they will come open or anything, I know its pathetic but just need some reassurance, thanks xx

There are no weight restrictions, it's all about whether or not the restraint can safely close and lock over the rider. Don't worry, a train would never be dispatched if there were a restraint still unlocked - and once they are locked they will never open until you're safely back in the station!

Alastair said:
lianne.nettley said:

There are no weight restrictions, it's all about whether or not the restraint can safely close and lock over the rider. Don't worry, a train would never be dispatched if there were a restraint still unlocked - and once they are locked they will never open until you're safely back in the station!

This

If the restraint can physically lock, then you're set. Statistically, I'd be more worried about the journey to the park ;) Have a good one.

Some of the rides have restrictions on upper body size, basically as has been said the restraint needs to lock you in fully. Of course this is just for over the shoulder type restraints, lapbars would probably only be restricted by super tall people/super long legs, I think!

A few of the rides have test seats outside the attraction so you can check before getting in the queue. I know Rita definitely has one (not sure about the others, do they all have one?)

Don't worry, it's not uncommon to be fearful of rides that make you do unnatural things like go upside down in what's basically an open top car! But remember they are designed for this very purpose. Health and Safety at UK theme parks is such a big priority it borders on the ridiculous. I hope you have a good time and conquer some rides - who knows, you might get a taste for it :)

There is a test seat at the entrance to Air, Rita and Olivion if my memory serves me right! :)

With regards to upper body size, I think you should be OK up to about a size 20/22 ladies dress size for the over the shoulder restraints on Nemesis, Air, Smiler and Rita - maybe a little larger. Spin ball can be tight for people who have large waist measurements... It's a case of try it and see I think and sometimes crossing your legs can get the restraint down by the required amount of clicks to allow the ops to despatch the ride. Th13teen has lap bars and is pretty generous unless you're very tall (it has a maximum height limit as well as a minimum)

Don't worry about the safety aspect at Alton Towers... Those restraints are super safe and tested to make sure that they do their job and keep you in your seat! The "fear factor" around coasters (especially the first ride on a coaster!) is part of the fun!

If you want reassurance, lets look at the statistics. The odds of dying on a roller coaster are 1 in 300 million. Compare that to the odds of winning the lottery, which are 1 in 14 million, and there is next to no chance of coming out your seat- there's absolutely nothing to be afraid of.

Nobody has died on a ride at AT ever. And they probably never will, because the rides are perfectly safe, everything has been designed for you comfort and enjoyment :)

im a big guy, and have to use the big persons seat on oblivion and nemasis (just ask the loader and they will help you out) however have no issues on rita (just) thirteen and the smiller. was there on thursday and really wanted to go on air however i just didnt fit, maybe next time :)

are they bigger than the test seat? I just didnt fit in the air test seat so need to loose some more weight!