• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What if Th13teen had been themed to Ug Land?

Scott

Former TS Team Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I was just thinking about this the other day...

What if the whole concept of Th13teen had been designed and planned around Ug Land? Would we have ended up with a better ride experience? Could we have had a more clearly family orientated ride? Would Ug Land be better than the Dark Forest?

I was thinking that the ride could have been built around either a dinosaur theme or a jokey Ug Land mechanical theme... So that the drop could have worked in terms of a dinosaur attacking the ride or a hapless prehistoric 'mechanic' character breaking it...

Just wondered what people thought; whether the ride and area would have been better had Th13teen never happened and was instead created with Ug Land in mind.

The ride would of had a different ethos certainly.

It would of been easier to market as a family ride and probably wouldn't of got our expectations as high.

Would it still be overpriced by intamin? Yes, The ride should never of cost £15M.

The crypt could of been themed as a dinosaur egg hatching... :(

The question I ask though, Would of the ride been better if it had a tyre driven launch?

OR

they would of added a THIRD theme to the area, making no sense what so ever.

would of been nice to see it with an Ug Land theme though, maybe some sort of second element to the thunder rock rally? racing through the woods, before maybe going off the edge of a cliff (thus utilizing the vertical drop but making little sense going backwards in the dark...)

i think Ug Land needed to go though it was tired and not really working as an area anymore, even though the dark forest is starting to look tatty it still works where as Ug Land was just looking worn out completely.

Well, UG Land was re-themed because of Thirteen.

But, if a coaster had been made for UG Land, then it would probably not be like Thirteen is now. It would almost certainly be dinosaur themed (yes, go figure), but I've got no idea, to be honest, what it would be like. It probably wouldn't be in the same, as it wouldn't really go with the in the trees look, so would probably be more in UG Land.

In my opinion though, you could ask this question for any of the coasters, such as, what if Air had been themed to Forbidden Valley.

I know Ug Land was rethemed because of Th13teen but I'm asking what people thought it would have been like were the same ride system used but it was kept in the Ug Land theme...

It's an interesting thought (to me) because of the initial negative reaction to Th13teen and the continued negativity surrounding the Dark Forest.

If they did that I imagine we would have a very similar to setup to Th13teen, but with a rock cave in a similar style to Polar Explorer at LEGOLAND Denmark (obviously without the snow). It would still not solve the Rita problem though I imagine!

LordOfDarkness said:
Would it still be overpriced by intamin? Yes, The ride should never of cost £15M.
The ride system itself cost nowhere near £15m. £15m was the cost of the project, not the ride.

Rick said:
LordOfDarkness said:
The ride system itself cost nowhere near £15m. £15m was the cost of the project, not the ride.

The £15m included marketing and advertising alongside the retheme of the Dark Forest I believe?

I think it could of been friendly ride on a dinosaur which is still the forest green colour but the UG's sense terror as you enter the crypt (themed as a cave) in which the dinosaur hooves you off and you fall a slight drop causing you to go backwards. If this were to happen I'm sure it would be out of place like Rita slightly is now. But epic question!

The theme would certainly have been less menacing, which would have probably meant advertising for it wouldn't have been so concerned with marketing it as the best ride ever. It probably would have been better received as a result, because dinosaurs are much more popular with kids than wraiths (believe it or not) :p

Nick said:
In my opinion though, you could ask this question for any of the coasters, such as, what if Air had been themed to Forbidden Valley.

That's an interesting thought. Would Air have sat well in any other style? I always think of Nemesis and Air as ying and yang. The Frenzy and the Calm.

We wouldn't have had the absolute horrifically downbeat area we're left with now, it could have been a much more fun coaster and the park would have kept a balance of upbeat/downbeat areas...only real upbeat area we have now is Katanga.