• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What is your favourite music genre?

What is your favourite music genre?

• Pop

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Progressive Rock

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Punk

• R&B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggae

• Rock

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Soundtrack

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Singer Songwriter/Vocal

• World

• Other

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Metal

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Jazz

• Alternative

• Blues

• Brit Pop

• Classical

• Country/Folk

• Dance

• Electronic

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Hard Rock

• Hip Hop/Rap

• Indie

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Nick

TS Member
The topic name speaks for itself, what are your favourite music genres? You can have three votes to decide, and we'll see which is the most popular type of music on the forum. And if you feel like it's criminal that I've left an obvious genre out, then please post so, and a I'll see if a mod will change it. Nothing stupid please, like Pirate Metal, as I've tried to generalise things to make things simpler. And if you feel like you've got a dilemma, then feel free to post who the artist or what the type of music is, and the majority will try and decide what it fits in. Again, I've tried to be general, so there should be at least one that the music type fits in to.

Anyway, here's my top three:

1. Alternative
2. Rock
3. Indie

So nothing unexpected there to be honest, although I considered Prog and Hard Rock quite a bit.

The problem with genre is where are the limits?

When does rock become 'prog' rock or 'hard' rock? At what point is it no longer hard rock but into metal?

Alternative and electronic are huge umbrella terms. Just because someone loves say, Knife Party, they're not necessarily going to like say, Kraftwerk. I know you've separated out dance, but they both are still petty wide ranging and flow into lots of other genres, they're all connected.

Apart from avoiding pretty much anything made for the charts, I don't really care about genre and think it's becoming more and more irrelevant. I mostly do like music with loud, angry guitars, but if I just picked three out of the traditionally big guitar-based stuff, rock, hard rock, metal, punk and prog, that'd completely misrepresent what I listen to.

I voted for Brit Pop, Electronic & Indie. I like a lot of music though, but i'd say those are my favourite three genres from that list.

Nick said:
Anyway, here's my top three:

1. Alternative
2. Rock
3. Indie

Aren't they basically the same thing...? How, exactly, is 'alternative' music different to 'rock' music? And what's the point of liking 'alternative' if you also like what it's alternative to? :/

'Alternative' and 'indie' are much stupider than 'pirate metal', at least the latter actually describes a distinct (albeit small) musical scene, whereas the former are just utterly meaningless. :p

It's like the phrase 'alternative rock' which is thrown at pretty much every post-Britpop band to achieve mainstream success. How can it be alternative if it's the biggest and most popular?

We need to categorise music, but only to a certain point, otherwise the terms just become meaningless.

It gets a bit silly when 15-million-album selling Muse are described as 'alternative', even though they're about as generically mainstream as they come. If Muse are alternative, that what can they possibly be the alternative to?

Film scores, add that to the poll! It's established enough to not be shamed with the "other" tag ;)

Alastair said:
Film scores, add that to the poll! It's established enough to not be shamed with the "other" tag ;)

That was intended to go in "soundtracks", but I probably should have made it a bit clearer.

I think there's quite a noticeable difference between rock, alternative and indie myself. Generally, I think it's quite easy to differentiate between the three. I would call alternative anything that breaks the normal trend of rock, such as grunge, emo etc.

For suggestions of Muse, again, it's not the only band I like- please, stop doing this. There are clearly other bands who I like who are alternative who I also like, otherwise I wouldn't have voted for it. If you're choosing a genre for one artist, then it probably isn't correct.

For individual artists, there must be one side of the music that you prefer, and would be able to put into a category.

This is a question I can never answer. What IS my favourite genre?! Do I even have one?! Personally to me, it all depends on my mood. One day walking to work I might like to casually walk to the comforting sounds of classical music. Other times I might like to walk to some fantasy soundtracks. Or maybe I might like to walk to some Lamb of God. It's impossible to judge. Maybe it's because I'm a musician and I don't get much choice in the matter? Or maybe it's because I've studied every genre in depth for work that I've gained a massive understanding for nearly every style of music?

Who knows! :p

I love lots of types of music. I like most music, but I really don't know the difference.
Fun. are my favorite band, who I think are classed as indie , and I like other bands like Oasis, and the Killers.
I love Lucy Spraggan, who writes her own amazing songs, in her own style, and I like pop, and the music mostly played on radio 1 etc,but I hate some of the overly computerized junk they play.

folk, (as in gaulic, celtic, gaulish folk, not country style folk)

metal,

soundtrack

probably. I didn't want to say rock as it's just a very generic term nowadays. and there's some which I find passable. some which I love, overall it isn't my favourite though, while individual sub-genres I would consider one my favourite.

Same with metal it is very diverse, Death metal is as different from NWOBHM as dance music is from hip hop.

Just thought I would say that just to share this link...

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

Though I think the choices are good, you can't possibly have every genre and sub genre.

EDIT: I should mention though, I've become less into a specific genre now. I like most things but it's becoming more and more a challenge for a band to stand out for me enough to buy their albums.

I guess i'm less into music as I was when I was a child who would refuse to listen to anything outside of rock, metal (and I suppose folk... but that was mainly from folk metal i love)

Main stream pop "crap" isn't all bad. Some bands I can't stand (such as Nikki Minaj, Will.I.am ext.) But some music is nice and catchy, only issue is that media plays these songs so much you lose all interest in them in a couple of weeks...

It's becoming more and more easier just to list the genres I dislike rather then the ones I like! XD

EDIT2: Perhaps it's not easy to find a genre I hate... every time I think of one, I think of a song or a band in that genre which I don't mind!

There is only one sort of music I really hate and I always have done.

Dubstep

Seriously Wat?

I don't get the whole 'Dubstep is the work of Satan' thing at all.

This video explains it a bit.

Dubstep - A Dose of Buckley

Unless anything made on synthesisers at 140bpm is intrinsically awful to you, then I'm not sure how you can say all dubstep is nonsense.

Sam said:
Aren't they basically the same thing...? How, exactly, is 'alternative' music different to 'rock' music? And what's the point of liking 'alternative' if you also like what it's alternative to? :/

'Alternative' and 'indie' are much stupider than 'pirate metal', at least the latter actually describes a distinct (albeit small) musical scene, whereas the former are just utterly meaningless. :p
That's quite well said, actually - 'alternative' is one of those things I call things on my iPod if I'm too lazy to figure out it's real genre, and, whilst I always find it tricky to listen to while sober, at least 'pirate metal' is a genre in its own right :p
I'll even consider forgiving Sam his earlier slight against Maiden fans; though I know what I'll be wearing for the next meet! :p

Anyway, if last.fm's to be believed, this is my genre preferences of the last 12 months. I'm well aware I listen to crap when I'm in the mood for it, so there'll be no need to point that out :)

As everyone knows though, my favourite band is Dream Theater, and I won't hear a word against them :p
http://youtu.be/3Y-p9KOd45U[/url

Metal and Other got my votes, really should have voted for soundtracks but ah well :p

I listen to many sorts of metal including: Industrial Metal, Metalcore, Pagan Black Metal, Brutal Technical Death Metal, Pirate Metal, Heavy Metal and Death Metal.

Other was for the other stuff I listen to which doesn't go anywhere :p