• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What ride were you most afraid of that you conquered?

bex

TS Member
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what was the ride that you were afraid of going on and when you went on it you loved it :D

Bex

Wow, almost everything I guess.

Oblivion.
Nemesis.
Even Air briefly.

But the main one was Rita. I was terrified of launch coasters, (and to this day, I still get scared riding them) and the only one I had been on before was Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disneyland Paris. I was worried that Rita would be too intense for me. I actually made someone else I knew go on it first. That person then forced me to go on it, and I loved it. But Rita... Even though I love it, it still terrifies me more than Blivy.

Has to be Oblivion!

I've been going to AT since I was yea high *makes a hand gesture, the height he would've been when he was 3*, and on most trips I went into X-Sector to watch Oblivion. I was absolutely terrified of the noise it made, and stood nowhere near to the hole. Anyway, back in 2010 I finally built up the courage to ride Oblivion, and it was the best, but scariest, experience in my life!

Absolutely awesome!

For me it Saw at Thorpe park. Considering I was 8-10 when I completed all the rides at AT and TP. Saw was definitely the most scary. The theme to it got to my head and scared the bejesus out of me, much like oblivion, although that didn't take as long to conquer straight on as my first ride at Alton towers!. What scared me most was the dark station and all the queue line cattle pen and barbed wire. I bottled out twice because I was so scared, before riding it for the first time just after my 10th birthday on 2009 fright nights!

Saw.

Don't know why but that thing scared the crap out of me, I'd even got a fast track for it and still nearly bottled it! Then Stealth.

The sheer height of it when I first saw it. Probably my favourite UK ride now.

That SPEED <3

To be honest I still get apprehensive about going on any new coaster, The Smiler last year included, as some from here who were with me will attest much to their amusement hahaha!!

Still that's part of the fun for me because I'm so hyped up on adrenaline by the time I get on it, it enhances the experience rather than being bored and "meh" about it.

Nemesis and Oblivion. I was absolutely petrified of Nemmy and bottled it so many times even when getting in the seat after I had a panic attack. But now I went on Nemmy twice yesterday and Oblivion once for the first time yesterday and I'm so proud of myself.

wolfwynd said:
Nemesis and Oblivion. I was absolutely petrified of Nemmy and bottled it so many times even when getting in the seat after I had a panic attack. But now I went on Nemmy twice yesterday and Oblivion once for the first time yesterday and I'm so proud of myself.

That's great! Well done for conquering your fear. ;D

Mine had to be The Missile from American Adventure, we use to go there regularly when my brother and I were little. My brother I even bottled it the first time with my dad, with my brother using the exscuse of looking after the bags when we got to the quee. I was getting more nervous as we waited and it wasn't until we sat down I bottled it but before my dad could follow the strapped him in and of he went lol. When he came of he was green for the rest of the day, now he will never go on a roller coaster with me or my brother. I did manage to do it the next time when we went with our mates though we was tricked into it lol.

SomeCrazyPerson said:
wolfwynd said:

That's great! Well done for conquering your fear. ;D

Thank you!

Something unrelated, how do you get the ride count widget in your sig?

swalesuk01 said:
Mine had to be The Missile from American Adventure

I'd forgotten about that! I came off that white as a sheet hahaha!!

My first proper coaster was in fact the Pinfari at Drayton Manor, the first time I'd done a looper and I was pretty terrified! You're right about The Missile though, it had a great atmosphere and the way you came down into the park and saw it really got the adrenaline and nerves going.

misile.jpg

(Image gforcemag.com)

I was still new to coasters when I went on that and had to do it on my own as no one would venture on with me. Became one of my all time greats, and holds a special place in my coaster memories for many reasons. I know she's on the east coast now but she'll always be the Missile to me!! <3

wolfwynd said:
Thank you!

Something unrelated, how do you get the ride count widget in your sig?

Go onto ridecount, sign in, go onto profile, then signature options, and copy the Forum BBcode. Then go onto your profile, then 'modify profile', then 'forum profile' and paste it into the signature box. ;)

I'd say every ride, always a bit on edge when i go on a new ride but most of the time i enjoy them enough to go on again.

only ride i don't like at alton towers is oblivion, i go on it i'd say atleast once a season but thats it, I hate it and its hard to explain why, i dont mind the lift hill or the way round to the drop, heck i don't even mind hanging on the edge(i'd be happy if it stopped there for 5mins and then went backwards), its just the actual drop, i know it only lasts a split second but it feels like an eternity

I was mega nervous about the smiler for the vertical lift hill but after the 1st time i went on it i loved it and now i can't get enough and it's very close to overtaking nemmy as my fav coaster at AT

Top Thrill Dragster is mine; never been so terrified in my life!
Millenium Force is up there, too (especially as I rode it at night)

Either Apocalypse at Drayton or Mystery Castle at Phannyland. And I hated both of them! Never again!

My first inverting coaster was the Millenium Rollercoaster at Fantasy Island. I very nearly bottled it after going on about it for ages at school before the holiday. Oblivion was very scary the first time. So was Rita since I went on the front row. Nemesis didn't really scare me and I had no more than the fun apprehension by the time I visited other parks like Thorpe and PortAventura.

Then, most recently, Goudurix at Parc Asterix filled me with fear because of what I'd read.

I still wasn't prepared.

Nothing tops Oblivion for me, when I was Ten and just tall enough to ride it I backed out the first time my dad offered to take me on it. That's the only time i've ever turned down a ride out of fear, and still rode it that afternoon after a ride on Enterprise helped me build my confidence up.

Besides that there's a few rides i've felt nervous about - Drop Towers, The Sling Shot in Orlando which I finally conquered a few weeks ago, and oddly enough Round Up/Meteorite rides always freaked me out. As a kid I was always worried I wouldn't stick so felt pretty nervous on my first ride, and still do worry if there's a power failure whilst its upright.

Besides that I tend to look forward to coasters, even when I was 12 or 13 rides like Hulk and Shiekra never bothered me. In many ways i'd quite like to find a ride that intimidates me again!

For me the scariest that I almost backed out of were Mumbo jumbo but I didn't get scared until the dive loop then I screamed till the end. Speed at oakwood I went in and out the queue but went on after 5 minutes. Then it has to be my fear of oblivion and nemesis on my first visit alton neither was I scared of at all in the queue. I was fine on both on the lift hill then on the turnaround on oblivion I started shaking like crazy but once it hung over the edge I loved it. Nemesis was just before the first corkscrew when I got scared but after doing velocity at flamingo land all my rides have been hands free, including oblivion and the smiler. Also I have never been scared of a flat since I went on a inverting flat at southport when I was 6-7.

Oh, enterprise!

Didn't go on that for years!

I'm still reluctant and basically endure it but I kind of like brief moments.

Ian said:
Either Apocalypse at Drayton or Mystery Castle at Phannyland. And I hated both of them! Never again!

Oh man, Apocalypse. Put me off drop towers for good!