• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What would YOU do if you ran towers for 5 years?

ItsDavid

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako
Something interesting to think about since most similar threads to this is us thinking in mind of towers and following the trends merlin has put in the other parks across the chain. Obviousally we should keep in mind that planning permission will never mean the tree height restriction will go anywhere, so be creative! Start from 2019 since we know whats coming in 2018.

My ideas:
2019: X-Sector theming additions, such as on the grass patch in the middle, some technical cool looking things, oblivions queue redone similar to oblivion the black holes [Which is probably the best theming merlin has done on a coasters queue]. Possibly floorless trains. Some more repathing in upper areas of FV. More enterence tlc, including a large fountain in the frog pond and a fountain show on the lake.

2020: New flat rides, Suspended top spin on former ripsaw's site with smoke, fire and water effects, similar to talocan at phantasialand. Possibly called "Ripsaws Revenge?". Some low thrill rides too, like a troika, which would fit nice in dark Forest in the circle area near th13teens area. Cedar fair have bought a few European rides, it would be cool if Alton brought some older rides back. Finally, something on the former submission area, Im not sure what because it is quite small, but a themed miami ride may be cool there, im sure they could give it a pretty cool theme and the backboard would possibly cover some of the oblivion catwalks, which could be cool.

2021: Duel retheme, removal of guns and made into a trackless dark ride themed to whatever SW8 comes out as. Rita closes mid season and removed by scare-fest. Some attractions in the resort area open, such as a rodeo bull and maybe an outdoor show venue for resort guests, or an outdoor cinema screen. Steal a few ideas from EP haha

2022: Launched wing coaster or blitz coaster, launches about 60-70mph and follows terrain in the th13teen/cliff side area where skyride cuts into FV, with inversions. If a blitz coaster, a beyond 90 degree drop too. Themed resturant added to area and bigger shop for the new ride.

2023: CCL re-theme to lego city, with a lego city dark ride [Reuse charlie] boat ride taking you through scenes and the elevator can be a broken elevator in a skyscraper. Small vekoma jr boomerang/family invert, and some other small family rides such as a disc-o. Frogs and gallopers moved to cbeebies land, driving school removed for the rides.

2019 - Log flume investment - 3 drops, weaving in, out and round, SW8, CRR and mine train. Themed around Katanga Canyon - hey if Tayto Park can do it..

2020 - CATCF retheme to War of the World's, featuring Jeff Wayne''s orchestral score (I'm sure IMA score could remix all the best bits into a few minutes) and Richard Burton''s narration. Fire, water, smoke and mist effects like Valhala. Set in Victorian England, flee the burning cities and all powerful Martian fighting machines. Would need an extention to do it justice. The lifts could be rethemed to depict the Thunderchild's valiant battle against the Martians. (Incidentally, would love to see the whole of CCL rethemed to HG Wells).

2021 CRR upgrade. Infinity falls coming soon looks great. Nothing on that scale, but a couple of drops please.

2022 Out and back coaster, taking in some of the parks better views and actually travelling a distance. Family friendly, inexpensive manufacturer to allow greater length.

2023 B and M - I don't care what it is. Seriously - Nemmy, Blivvy and to a (far) lesser extent, Air. They know how to do a secret weapon, build thrill coasters that don't rattle your bones (I'm looking at you, Gerstlauer), and should have a new concept by then. Personally, I'd be happy with another invert, in addition to, not as a replacement for Nemmy, but I don't know how they could beat the original as it is genuinely "awesome in every way" (see what I did there).

Last edited:
I'm getting a semi over the thought of full size animatronic tripods....

2019: Roland Mack decides to buy Alton Towers. No new investments.

2020: All attractions are removed. Roland Mack opens his new mass teleportation device which instantly transports guests from Alton Towers to Rust.

2021:Roland Mack pays for the re-location of Nemesis to Holiday Park, pit and all. Holiday Park entry now free for EP Clubcard holders. Alton Towers Estate re-opens as ruins and gardens only attraction.

2022: We all live happily ever after.

:)

I should really get to Europa Park and see what all this fuss is about. Looks good on videos but nothing amazing. Guess you can only really say when you've seen it in person though.

What would I do if I was in charge for 5 years?... hmmmm

Sit in a dark room with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears chanting blah blah blah its not happening, everything fine everything fine

:rolleyes:

What would I do if I was in charge for 5 years?... hmmmm

Sit in a dark room with my eyes closed and fingers in my ears chanting blah blah blah its not happening, everything fine everything fine

:rolleyes:

So business as usual for Merlin then?

I'd shift from a "Resort" stand point and refocus on creating a magical DAY OUT for all the family. This means not just focusing on rides and obvious up selling. Entertainment around the park. Play to the unique strengths by restoring and promoting the history and heritage. Improve the towers and gardens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019: New log flume composing of both indoor and outdoor bits. similar to Valhalla

2020: CCL goes completely and a new area put in with a darker theme. New coaster which has underground parts, flat ride in too themed round the grim reaper

2021: Haunted house revamped, made scarier and no guns

2022: Thirteen adapted

2023: Sit back and watch the money roll in

2018. SW8 opens as planned, theming changed to suit Mutiny Bay. Offices on site are moved into the hotel. Large tower trading shop moved into smaller shops themed around the items they sell, filling out towers street. (A clothes shop, Souvineers Shop, a toy shop etc.) Current Towers Trading shop to be opened as "Towers through Time" museum showing old ride plans, old merchandise, old maps, past theming elements (the tap from flume, the dolly mix models from Toyland etc). A push to get Toadstool open asap. The Towers street restaurant to reopen selling decent quality pub food. Maybe a cavery. Also serves breakfast 1 hour before rides open. This and the rollercoaster restaurant available after ride close (last seating 1hour after ride close).

2019. CCL rethemed part 1. Themed around the Wild West. CATCF rethemed into a Western themed boat ride which tells a story involving some bandit and a sherrif or something (I've not worked out all the details). Frog Hopper moved to beside Spinball. Carousel made to look more western. Cars closed and replaced with a 'vintage cars' style ride, but with horse drawn carts. Burger Kitchen closed and reopened as a 'proper' restaurant, selling burgers, wings, buffalo etc, table service. Last seating 1 hour after ride close.

2020: 2 new flat rides added. One on the site of Ripsaw, 1 on the site of submission.
The theatre/Nickelodeon building gutted and a small steel wild mouse rollercoaster build inside. Themed around a gold mine. Completing CCL expansion.

2021: Push to bring entertainment back to AT, with the Alton Ancestors making daily appearances in Gloomy Wood, the Pirate shoe brought back, and also a Wild West show in the new Western area. Along with the CBeebies lot these 'characters' to appear at the bottom of towers street to welcome the guests in for the morning.

2022: SW9 B&M told a budget and told to have their way with the park. To be built in The Dark Forrest. Rita to be removed if needed. Whole area rethemed if needed.

2019: New log flume composing of both indoor and outdoor bits. similar to Valhalla

2020: CCL goes completely and a new area put in with a darker theme. New coaster which has underground parts, flat ride in too themed round the grim reaper

For me, those two things go together. I was talking about this with my girlfriend when we were on-park this past Sunday. Feels like the Charlie unit should have a big new water ride in it, to make up for the Flume with lots of cool show elements and drops/splash zones.

Also, I love your idea of making CCL darker cause I think dark theming works really well at Alton Towers due to the eeriness of the ruins, but there's lots of who moan about the level of 'darkness' at Alton Towers with two dark themed areas. Although there has been speculation that SW8 is to be part of Gloomy Wood, and that Duel is going to be refurbished in a couple years.

What were your thoughts on 'adapting' Th13rteen? Intrigued.

Although the idea of a new dark ride flume hybrid is good, they will need to make it so the splash is adjustable. It just isn't good enough weather for getting soaked in about half of the season. At least if I didn't ride the flume in October I didn't feel like I was missing anything, but indoor rides are a great idea in the autumn part of the season so a big wet splash ruins the point of being indoors.

Although the idea of a new dark ride flume hybrid is good, they will need to make it so the splash is adjustable. It just isn't good enough weather for getting soaked in about half of the season. At least if I didn't ride the flume in October I didn't feel like I was missing anything, but indoor rides are a great idea in the autumn part of the season so a big wet splash ruins the point of being indoors.
Call me a masochist, but I don't think a water ride is doing its job if it doesn't leave you soaked to the bone. Personally, I loved doing Tidal Wave at Thorpe Park on one of the coldest days of the year. It was a hell of a shock, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Mind you, we're pretty hardy here in Yorkshire. No shandy swilling southern Jessie''s around hear ☺

The wetter the better I say!

Call me a masochist, but I don't think a water ride is doing its job if it doesn't leave you soaked to the bone. Personally, I loved doing Tidal Wave at Thorpe Park on one of the coldest days of the year. It was a hell of a shock, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Mind you, we're pretty hardy here in Yorkshire. No shandy swilling southern Jessie''s around hear ☺

The wetter the better I say!

I think the "popularity" of Battle Galleons shows that for a lot of the year many people don't want to get soaked. Personally I think AT needs more dark rides and year-round attractions rather than water rides that many people only like for 2 months or so of the year.

Done right and they should be able to open most of CBeebies, new Cloud Cuckoo Land (with new boat/flume ride and other indoor attractions), Hex & the Towers and Mutiny Bay (not Galleons) during the winter weekends.

Water rides, for me work best if they carry the will you/wont you get wet factor.
As for future investment, the place is in need of some real care, as well as a few flat rides - re-introduce a topspin such as the topspin suspended, and a new flume ride.
Drop the focus on having the worlds first, and look to build on a good ride experience.

Look at improving the gardens, Alton towers started out as a pace to go to to visit the Gardens, why not open the gardens up over the summer months in the evenings after the theme park has closed as a gardens only experience? starting as bookable events only targeting groups such as the Round table, Women's institute and so on ( ie those that wouldn't normally visit the theme park or the rides, coupling that with some guided tours/history talks and promotions for the theme park for friends and family's - perhaps even introducing some nighttime autumnal lighting effects into the gardens such as these http://www.woodlandexperiences.co.uk/light-experience/

Building on the above: Take a leaf out of the national trust, and introduce some classical music concerts on selected summer evenings.

Alton Towers has a rich history that can be used to benefit the theme park, and above all be used to generate income in its own right

Close the park for a year to allow for extensive TLC across the park and new theming enhancements and landscaping throughout. Reopen all SBNO rides.

Relocate spinball to storage area behind Mutiny bay as headline attraction for the area & give new cannonball theme with indoor and outdoor sections. (similar to below) Extend Cbeebies land onto former spinball site.

[URL=http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Masitate/media/20170529210318_1_zpsz8nyplms.jpg.html]

Sell Rita & replace with Intamin woodie similar to Balder.

New Intamin Blitz coaster with similar layout to Maverick over Kaganga Canyon and gloomy wood, themed to a haunted mine. Removal of guns from duel with new modern effects to go alongside this.

CCL to be gutted and to Pokémon IP with inclusion of a flume ride, indoor family-thrill coaster, Shooting dark ride and a 4D cinema. Toadstool to reopen.

Major flat ride investment with family & thrill flats constructed across the park.[/URL]