• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

When was Alton at its best?

CGM

TS Member
For me it has to be a 3 or 4 year period around the turn of the millennium, probably from about 1998 to 2002. At that point Alton was unquestionably one of the best, if not the best park in Europe.

Everything was just so, the ride lineup was almost perfect for a family park. Alton had a large and varied mix of high quality rides with plenty for all age groups.

Perhaps what the park misses most now is the filler flats such as Bone Shaker/Energiser and Dino Dancer/Dymnamo. You also had an excellent selection of polished, well executed dark rides in the Haunted House, Hex and Toyland Tours.

The theming was overall much better. Whilst there were some dubious areas such as Cred Street and Merrie England, areas such as the original Ug Land meant the quality was overall much more consistent throughout the park. The park in general was also much better maintained than it is today and much more effort was made to ensure that a new ride would successfully integrate into an existing theme.

Speaking of themes, the park was a lot more creative and innovative with their new theming producing areas such as X-Sector which is the kind of dark theme that most parks would have shied away from. There was also the music which suited the park perfectly. There's nothing quite like crossing the gardens in the Skyride with the old towers street music playing.

It's often easy to forget how far Alton were ahead in terms of ride technology as well. In 2002, the park had 3 of the 5 B&M coasters on the continent, 2 of them world's first prototypes! Meanwhile, practically everyone else was stuck with a Vekoma looper as their signature attraction. Alton must have been the envy of Europe!

I think that one of the most important aspects of the park's success at that time was that Tussaud's realised what they had. They knew how to make the best of the park's unique situation and consistently invested in the park. They also knew how to market the park in a way that plays to its strengths and built on Alton Towers' unique brand image. The adverts were fantastic and there was that gorgeous purple and orange house style that really helped immerse guests in the mystical vibe of the place.

Maybe this is just misplaced nostalgia but I think even if you ignore sentimentality, looking objectively at what Alton had and comparing it to other parks at that time, it was clearly much higher in the pecking order.

So when do you think was the best time to be an Alton fan? Perhaps you think it's now

I've enjoyed reading your post and would agree with your points between late 90's and early 2000's being the better years for towers

CGM said:
So when do you think was the best time to be an Alton fan? Perhaps you think it's now

I actually do think now. I agree with the positives you mentioned above about the late 90's. Although I miss rides such as corky, the black hole, energiser etc, I think N:ST, The Smiler, Hex, Th13teen and dare I say, Rita, are more than worthy replacements. I think the current line up is only changing for the better, and hopefully will continue for many years to come.

A few more subtle changes that I prefer if the opening of the woodland walk, the tavern, the hotel restaurants, waterpark, conference centres, half term events, Xmas events, murder mystery nights and even strictly come dancing nights, all this I love. (Ok so the strictly one is for the mrs, of course :p )

Going back to the tavern, I love the fact that you can have a drink if you want. I remember times where alcohol was not available at all on park. It's great to unwind after a busy day, and certainly nice to chill out to the wonderful surroundings the park offers. Or indeed the hotels, where we nearly always visit afterwards, or just pop back for lunch.

The garden is constantly maintained to a high level, perhaps better than before and there are now visible efforts going into resorting the towers themselves.

I think scarefest and the mazes are another reason why I like 'now' although I must admit, I really miss field and the boiler house being at the hotels, and room 13 etc. I think the sanctuary and the whole MOJ theme is impeccable though, and it quite honestly impresses me for an original theme.

Another big bonus for me is the offering of MAP's, now for the last, urm, number of years I've had MAP, and I'd say 80% of its use it at AT, although it does open up the prospects of visiting the other attractions (for no cost really considering the use at AT) and many attractions are a welcome addition to our families trips.

I visit now more than ever, and I make use of many more of the facilities than I ever have before.

Great article to open with. I tend to agree with your sentiments - my happiest memories span from 1997 to 2002 probably. Hmm lets think what made it so special then? Perhaps I felt more of the "magic" than I do now. The hotel hadnt long been open and staying there really was a magical experience.

The park, like you say, was in good shape, a great selection of rides and other attractions, such as the swan boats which I really miss. Never forget sitting back on those on a barmy summers afternoon just enjoying the relaxing float around the lake.

The park just had a nice atmosphere about it. Yeah it was still expensive in terms of a day out, but didnt feel like the prime purpose there was to extract your money, there was also focus on providing a good day out.

I disagree with Smudge above that Rita and Thirteen are worthy replacements in that area. Ug Land was great, I remember dodging the water jets in the floor, or feeling like I was going to fall out of Bone Shaker (also Energiser when it was first there and how violent it was!). Corky will always bring back such good memories, that sound of the lift hill motor, I would love to have this ride back over Thirteen.

I also remember the end of year firework displays which were truely spectacular (granted, so was this years), or sitting outside the Swiss Cottage overlooking the gardens. I always remember standing up by the tv screens playing out the cadburys prepare for air adverts watching the new ride going around waiting for my turn in the evening as the sun was setting.

The hotel, like I said, was fairly new and definately special. First time I went there was on a Valentines package, where you had to book your 2 hour time slot in the pool (spa), and the meal and band were in what is now the Steak restaurant. It was such a good event and if I recall only £60 each or something like that, or maybe that was for both of us.

I'm still a fan of Alton, I think some of my fond memories are because of who I went with at the time, but thesedays I see Alton more of a money extraction tool than a good value for money day out. I probably visit a lot more now than I did in the past thanks to the MAP, which is excellent value it has to be said, and the likes of Scarefest I really look forward to every year.

Thing is in life, everything in the past seems better than it is now, they are fond memories which can never be repeated, like Alton said once in their marketing - make some memories, and they were right. Its not just about the park, and the gardens etc, but also about the people you went with.

Pound for pound the park now is better than it was previously BUT that's not the point.

I always say I enjoy a park if it is performing as good as it's possible to be based on its size, money and location ect. So some smaller parks in my eyes can be better than the big boys if it feels like their heart and soul is indit. Towers did this up until 2001, it was really pushing as a European top dog and always installed quality and operations where too notch.

Now although the park has better operations than other UK parks they fall down in many areas, installations nearly always lack a good theming effort and it costs an absolute packet to visit.

So I think the peak was 2001.

The one thing I will say has vastly and I mean vastly improved however is the customer service - its much better these past few years.