• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which of your ridden coasters are closest & furthest North, South, East & West of where you live?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. This hobby often involves riding a lot of coasters in all kinds of far-flung locations, so I’d be intrigued to know; of the coasters you’ve ridden, which ones are closest & furthest from where you’re based in each of the respective compass directions; North, South, East & West? So if you were to walk North, South, East & West from where you live, which of your ridden coaster credits would you encounter first and which would you encounter last?

I’ll get the ball rolling with my answers.

I’m based in the Forest of Dean region of Gloucestershire, England, so I don’t have any major theme parks right on my doorstep. This might seem strange, but I’m ashamed to admit that I haven’t actually ridden my closest credit… my closest credit is a caterpillar coaster in Brean Sands at just over an hour away, followed by the stuff at Brean Theme Park (never visited) at a similar distance, Funland at the Tropicana in Weston (never visited) near to that, and also Coney Beach Pleasure Park in Porthcawl at just over an hour from where I’m based (yet again, never visited).

In terms of where I’ve been; I’ve ridden 74 different roller coasters at 18 different theme parks in both the UK and the US state of Florida.

With that in mind, my answers for each compass direction are as follows:
North
  • Least North: Rhino Coaster, West Midlands Safari Park
  • Most North: Crazy Coaster, South Pier Blackpool
South
  • Least South: Dragon, Legoland Windsor
  • Most South: Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa
East
  • Least East: Rhino Coaster, West Midlands Safari Park
  • Most East: Vampire, Chessington World of Adventures
West
  • Least West: Nickelodeon Streak, Blackpool Pleasure Beach (Oakwood is west of me & nearer to me than Blackpool, but Blackpool is “less west” of me, if you get me at all?)
  • Most West: SheiKra, Busch Gardens Tampa
But which coasters you’ve ridden are the most & least north, south, east & west of where you’re based?

Sorry to correct you Matt, you being practically a northerner and all to me - but Brean is around 9 miles SOUTH of Weston. Funland at the Tropicana is on WSM Seafront (I live approximately 4 miles north of it), Brean "Theme Park" as they like to call it these days is just outside Burnham On Sea, 1 M5 junction south (although I usually take the scenic route and drive there via Uphill and down Accommodation road, it's a lovely drive actually).

Of the 3 coasters in Funland, Runaway Train is the furthest north within the complex (if you enter facing west towards the sea/Bristol Channel it's the first thing you see on the left). So therefore, if you're coming from the Forest of Dean, Runaway Train is your closest coaster cred. Pretty grim when you think about it. I live on the door step of the busiest tourist region in the entire country and the coaster delights of Funland, Brean and Crealy are the closest creds by quite a considerable margin.

Last edited:
Sorry to correct you Matt, you being practically a northerner and all to me - but Brean is around 9 miles SOUTH of Weston. Funland at the Tropicana is on WSM Seafront (I live approximately 4 miles north of it), Brean "Theme Park" as they like to call it these days is just outside Burnham On Sea, 1 M5 junction south (although I usually take the scenic route and drive there via Uphill and down Accommodation road, it's a lovely drive actually).

Of the 3 coasters in Funland, Runaway Train is the furthest north within the complex (if you enter facing west towards the sea/Bristol Channel it's the first thing you see on the left). So therefore, if you're coming from the Forest of Dean, Runaway Train is your closest coaster cred. Pretty grim when you think about it. I live on the door step of the busiest tourist region in the entire country and the coaster delights of Funland, Brean and Crealy are the closest creds by quite a considerable margin.
Ah right; I looked at Captain Coaster, and that always told me that Brean was my closest credit stop, with Funland being further away, so this is interesting to know! Thanks for the pointer!

All I remember about Brean Sands myself was that it was where our first (and thus far only) family camping trip took place when I was about 8 or 9; I don’t think we actually visited the theme park, from memory.

Speaking of Crealy, I’m actually staying in Plymouth at the moment, so we drove within about 2 miles of Crealy on our way down yesterday when we stopped in Exeter services… I know that none of Crealy’s rides are particularly tall, but I surprisingly couldn’t see any sign of it from the road we were driving on besides some adverts.

After what you said, it would appear that according to Apple Maps, my top 3 closest credit places are as follows;
  1. Funland at the Tropicana, Weston-super-Mare (55 minutes, 42 miles)
  2. Brean Theme Park, Brean Sands (1 hour 3 minutes, 51 miles)
  3. Coney Beach Pleasure Park, Porthcawl (1 hour 12 minutes, 62 miles)
I’ve visited none of those, so my top 3 closest visited credit places are as follows;
  1. West Midlands Safari Park, Bewdley (1 hour 45 minutes, 67 miles)
  2. Drayton Manor, Tamworth (1 hour 43 minutes, 93 miles)
  3. Legoland Windsor, Windsor (1 hour 58 minutes, 108 miles)

Last edited:
North - Vuoristorata - Linnanmäki
East - Gold Rush - Rainbow's End
South - Scenic Railway - Luna Park, Melb
West - Undertow - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

North: Grand National, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
East: Arthur, Europa Park
South: Wodan Timbur Coaster, Europa Park
West: Astro Storm, Brean

North: Grand National, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, UK
East: Volare, Wiener Prater, Vienna, Austria
South: Space Mountain, Disneyland Park, Anaheim, USA
West: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Disneyland Park, Anaheim, USA

Northern - Helix, Liseberg
Eastern - Mariehonen, Bakken
Western - Woodstock Express, Kings Island
Southern - Coaster Express, Parque Warner Madrid.

Bonus UK only

North - Grand National - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
West - Boomerang - Holiday World (Butlins Pwllheli)
South - Cliffhanger - Blackgang Chine
East - Cannonball Express - Pleasurewood Hills

Last edited:
Northern - Speed Monster, Tusenfryd
Southern - Cheetah Hunt, Busch Gardens Tampa (or I think, as this is going off the most southern bit of track in the park)
Western - Sheikra, Busch Gardens Tampa
Eastern - Kvasten, Grona Lund

North: Kumali, Flamingo Land
South: Hornet, Flambards
East: Ghost Chasers, Movie Park DE
West: Hornet, Flambards

I've done 153 coasters. This is basing travelling coasters on where I rode them.

North - Junker, PowerPark
South - Cheetah Hunt, BGT
East - Cyclon, Nokkakivi Park
West - West Coaster, Pacific Park

I start with my closet section 1st

As I live in Birmingham is quite easy to pick my section of parks.

North
Drayton Manor

South
Paulton’s park

East
Pleasure Wood hills

West
West Midlands Safari Park

Furthest

North
Blackpool

South