• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Who will win 2018's new coaster battle?

Which coaster will be the bigger success for its respective park?

• Icon

Votes: 80 60.6%
  • Wicker Man

Votes: 52 39.4%

• Total voters
In 2018, the battle of 1994 is repeated!

AT and Blackpool Pleasure Beach go head to head with new rollercoaster, but this time... It's very different.

In 1994, each park created what was at the time a world class thrill rollercoaster.

At this stage BPB looked to have it in the bag, with a ride that was taller, faster, bigger and POTENTIALLY better in every conceivable way... and yet 23 years later, most of us would that this was an utter mismatch and that the seminal Nemesis,is by far the better ride.

So history repeats itself. Most of us believe that BPB have this in the bag again, but there are a few differences this time.

In 1994 AT went with a coaster manufacturer that had yet to prove themselves that went on to become an unrivalled force in build quality.

BPB went for a comparatively cheap manufacturer that nonetheless had created some good rides and enabled them to get a huge coaster for the money.

This time, both parks are going for ride hardware from respected manufacurers, though in enthusiast circles at least, Mack clearly have the edge.

BPB are clearly going for a thrill coaster, whereas, AT project looks decidedly family thrill.

Construction 2018, will be exactly what it says on the tin (which is awesome by the way), whereas SW8, is shrouded in secrecy, and and will probably have a groundreaking element or pointless gimmick (delete as appropriate).

Two questions.

Which will be the better coaster?

Which will be the biggest success (as in increasing guest numbers for its respective park)?

My opinion first.

I think both coasters will be solid additions - Construction 18 will be the better ride for thrill speakers, but if Merlin get the basics right, SW8, could be a lot of fun.

In respect of the second question, I think that AT will come out on top. A family thrill coaster can appeal to a far larger demographic than a thrill coaster, and love them or hate them, I think that Merlin's marketing department with their greater resources will deliver this time around.

Last edited:
Merlin will market the hell out of SW8 and will win the attendance war as usual, but Construction 2018 will be the superior coaster and will undoubtedly increase gate figures at BPB by some extent, but it will also serve BPB well for many years by attracting more repeat custom.
I think you have got this right!

I wanted to put 2 questions in the poll,1 as to which would be the better coaster and one as to which would be the bigger success,, but I didn't know how.

Perhaps some technical genius can enlighten me?

For the record, I would have answered Construction 18 for question 1, and SW8 for question 2.

Last edited:
You can only put one poll posing one question in each topic, so you won't be able to do it that way. Besides, it's far better to have a discussion and give your own opinion rather than poll after poll of which is better :).

You can only put one poll posing one question in each topic, so you won't be able to do it that way. Besides, it's far better to have a discussion and give your own opinion rather than poll after poll of which is better :).
Thanks for that. At least now, I know that it is not my Frank Spencer like IT skills (ooh, Betty,I've had a bit of trouble).

I think it has to be Construction 24 Years as on paper and video it looks to be a more impressive coaster. It's also exactly the type of coaster I love - a baby Taron with inversions. Don't get me wrong SW8 will be a nice addition but I don't think there's any war here to be honest, Alton are investing in family thrill woodie and Mandy is going all out for a duel launched inverted Mack coaster.

BPB certainly looks more impressive on paper, but then it's too early to say. SW8 definitely has potential despite how pedestrian it appears in the plans. And then there's theming to consider.

Based on what we know so far, BPB wins. However, I doubt 2018 will hit the heights of 1994, even if both coasters turn out great.

I'd go with Blackpool too. They seem to have gone all out where Towers seem to me to just be (as usual) hitting the mark with the minimum required effort. The only thing i'm worried about with Blackpool is the theming, if they can pull that off then it will be something really special.

Pretty certain there will be very limited theming on Blackpool's coaster, I'd imagine it will be more styled like Helix is. That's fine by me though.

I am of course far more excited by a double Mack launch than I am by a small scale GCI woodie. Having said that, high expecations for one and low for the other could produce interesting final thoughts!

:)

Wow... 100% for the Beach so far!

I too have gone with BPB's offering as we have a POV and can see how good this is going to look. If we were not geeky enough to trawl through planning sites we have seen nothing of SW8 or even know it's a thing that's happening, unless you went to the park and saw the fence last year.

I haven't been to BPB in about 2 years but know that a new ride is coming...That is Towers' biggest failing on this so far.

I think when it comes to this time next year the marketing will be huge for SW8... but as it stands, Blackpool is winning as they have acknowledged it's a thing...

Last edited:
I haven't been to BPB in about 2 years but know that a new ride is coming...That is Towers' biggest failing on this so far.

What other parks are marketing their 2018 coasters though apart from Blackpool? Blackpool have gone very early with an annoucement, and although I want a different marketing approach by Towers they have plenty of time to get it started. Silver Dollar City are getting a new Mack in 2018 but have said nothing yet, it's too early. 2018 annoucements are likely to come between June and September time.

What other parks are marketing their 2018 coasters though apart from Blackpool? Blackpool have gone very early with an annoucement, and although I want a different marketing approach by Towers they have plenty of time to get it started. Silver Dollar City are getting a new Mack in 2018 but have said nothing yet, it's too early. 2018 annoucements are likely to come between June and September time.

First Example that springs to mind:

http://liseberg.com/en/home/Amusement-Park/Rides--Attractions/Valkyria--2018/

Even including facts such as ride manufacturer and train capacity.

Hasn't Seaworld San Diego announced Electric Eel too?

EDIT: The answer be yes, https://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sandiego/attractions/rides/electric-eel?from=Top_Nav

Of course some are, but generally speaking now is early for 2018 annoucements and I cannot fault Towers for not making theirs. Liseberg will be making another annoucement regarding Valkyria later this year, the annoucement last year did focus more on Loke.

Of course some are, but generally speaking now is early for 2018 annoucements and I cannot fault Towers for not making theirs. Liseberg will be making another annoucement regarding Valkyria later this year, the annoucement last year did focus more on Loke.

No I don't blame another announcement being made or Towers not announcing there's. There is nothing wrong with announcing it's a thing though. :)

Who knows.

If forums existed in 1992 to the extent they do now i would bet the poll result would be the same as now, Big one on paper looks a far more appealing ride to our demographic. 23 years later the big one is i think a very "pretty" coaster (love the view of it from the seafront) but decidedly average to ride. Nemesis turned out to be the game changer.

Things are different this time, for a start Merlin play it very safe. I don't doubt that the people behind SW8 will do their best but from what i can gather Merlin studios produce a plan and the accountants come in and cut stuff down to a price. Blackpool on the other hand have spent years doing sweet nothing when it comes to coasters so we have no idea what their approach will be.

I imagine Blackpool's will appeal to me but here is the cut...

I have ridden a few Mack mega-coasters and they were all good coasters.

I have ridden a few GCI's and they where all good coasters.

I fear like many things in this nation of ours we will expect world changing and get "ok". Basically i expect both coasters to be decent, not because either operator is particularly good at what they do but because each have chosen a manufacturer who do know their trade. My suspicion is Blackpool's will appeal to me more and i wont have to dirty my soul spending too much time at a Merlin establishment to ride it, but i really don't expect there to be leagues of difference.

Still two more coasters to sample is a good thing.

Last edited: