• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Why the Smiler re-opening will fail...

Jack Roland

TS Member
As much as I love the ride (hell, I think it's not only the best in the park, but the best in the country), I have a sneaking suspicion that the Smiler re-opening will do nothing to help the park financially...

1) Even though WE know the crash was down to human error, and that design wise the coaster is fine, the General Public is either too lazy or too dumb to figure that out or do their research. Therefore, open re-opening, the coaster will cause people to give up on the park out of "outrage" that the park would reopen such a "dangerous ride". Mass misinformation will spread, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Change.org petition or something was launched to get them to close the ride. If this happens though, I doubt it will succeed.

2) Secondly, even before the crash, the Smiler was notorious for breaking down often. I remember riding it on the opening week, and waiting in line for two hours, plus another 45 minutes due to TWO separate breakdowns. Therefore, on the ride's first day of operation after re-opening, it will break down for say, 10 minutes or so, prompting all the media outlets to write a massively over-exaggerated piece on another supposed accident. I can see it now:

"Terror as Smiler goes wrong on first DAY after re-opening!"

Once again, the idiot general public will hear this, fail to find out the truth, and shy away from the park the same as before. It will do nothing to help public relations.

3) If the first two items come to pass, then I wouldn't be surprised if all theming (which I think is excellent btw...) for the Smiler is cut. This will cause X-Sector to look even shabbier, shattering the illusion that the Smiler is a relatively new ride, only adding to the tired and dated perspective of the park and its rides. All the park will have is a re-done Air, which has a chance of also failing if VR is added, which simply isn't enough to convince people to come back. Only the hardcore fans or those who have already ridden Smiler will ever ride it again. Newer guests will stay away and then be disappointed by the lack of variety elsewhere.

Whilst I hope this isn't true, seeing as how the media has already treated AT, I'm finding something like this happening more and more likely. What are your thoughts on how the ride re-opening will go? Do you think my predictions will come true?

I can see them spinning any non-mechanical breakdown in their favour by saying it demonstrates how rigorous the new safety systems are, to the point of inconvenience.

Na,
the rides reliability was much improved before the crash,
people have short memories,
it is the biggest ride on the park,
sorry Jack, can't see anything much happening after re-opening.

Don't worry, we'll probably be shipping troops off to Syria by next April. The media will have something else to bang on about for a few months at least :)

Nothing will happen, it will be so unpopular - at least in the first year - that a single train would be enough to cope with demand.

Ultimately major rides are investments, the return they get on this one will now be significantly diminished. Nevertheless, it makes more sense to reopen it than sell it for half of what they paid.

I think it will be swings and runabouts, a small percentage of people will be put of riding it again, but there will be those that will be more than determine to ride it and boasting the fact that they have ridden a dangerous ride since the incident on social media to up their status.

I have faith that the Smiler will be just as popular when it reopens next season and only then will we know for sure.

The reliability was awful in 2013 after it opened but since the start of 2014 - the crash I only know of one day it was closed all day, I can see number 2 happening, I'm just praying that it doesn't stop at the top of lift 1.

Ultimately major rides are investments, the return they get on this one will now be significantly diminished. Nevertheless, it makes more sense to reopen it than sell it for half of what they paid.
It's very difficult to attribute ROI in that way though, particularly after the first year (or partial year in the case of The Smiler). Nemesis is still part of the pulling power two decades on, but to be able to attribute a number to that.

I have faith that the Smiler will be just as popular when it reopens next season and only then will we know for sure.
I think a lot of people will ride it and if they don't - so what. Deconstructing and selling it on didn't ever really seem to be an option.

The fact that the ride was closed for so long is a pretty firm statement in terms of "We've got stuff to do" or "It's not ready yet".

1) Even though WE know the crash was down to human error, and that design wise the coaster is fine, the General Public is either too lazy or too dumb to figure that out or do their research. Therefore, open re-opening, the coaster will cause people to give up on the park out of "outrage" that the park would reopen such a "dangerous ride". Mass misinformation will spread, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Change.org petition or something was launched to get them to close the ride. If this happens though, I doubt it will succeed.

2) Secondly, even before the crash, the Smiler was notorious for breaking down often. I remember riding it on the opening week, and waiting in line for two hours, plus another 45 minutes due to TWO separate breakdowns. Therefore, on the ride's first day of operation after re-opening, it will break down for say, 10 minutes or so, prompting all the media outlets to write a massively over-exaggerated piece on another supposed accident. I can see it now:

"Terror as Smiler goes wrong on first DAY after re-opening!"

Once again, the idiot general public will hear this, fail to find out the truth, and shy away from the park the same as before. It will do nothing to help public relations.

It's hard to take your argument seriously when you use terms like 'the idiot general public'. The issue is the media. We are enthusiasts so naturally we are going to read into these topics with more detail. However, there are completely different topics we are all less familiar with and we rely on the media for the 'correct' information. I don't know about you but I do not have the time to research everything in the news to see if what the media are saying is correct, I just accept that a lot has probably been exaggerated and use a bit of common sense. Yes some of the general public are idiots but you cannot paint them all with the same brush.

It's very difficult to attribute ROI in that way though, particularly after the first year (or partial year in the case of The Smiler). Nemesis is still part of the pulling power two decades on, but to be able to attribute a number to that.

I wouldn't try and put numbers on it, but the accident can have nothing but a significant negative effect, certainly in the short term.

The general impression I got from non-enthusiasts this year was that they now perceive the whole park to be unsafe, not just the ride itself.

I honestly think that the majority of people who are willing to visit in the first place, will probably still ride the Smiler regardless.

I'll second that. Even though everyone I work with is of a technical persuasion and understands the differnce between mechanical failiure and human error, they all still think that rides in general are dangerous.

My friends have said that they think rides in general are safe, they will ride them all apart from the smiler. They said "I like having two legs" or "it's probably safe, but I wouldn't be able to ride it again because it wouldn't be right"... or "wait... the smiler crashed?.. what's the smiler?" :rolleyes:

It doesn't help that the 'danger of death' signs are plastered anywhere and everywhere, great imagery for the everyday guest right there.

The ride won't go back to how it was but equally it won't fail.

I think it will be moderately busy throughout the year. Not completely unused like others have suggested.

It'll fail, then people will forget. It'll recover. To call people thick, stupid. It isn't the case. People believe what they want or are told. Why would people think the park is safe. Look what happened. I'm a enthusiastic about the park as much as the next, but ill admit that getting on a ride I will be tense.

To quote Jurassic park. "you never have control that's the illusion."

It is going to have a rough return and will have every little thing in the papers for at least the first season. hopefully it first season will be a dull one, so it quietly get on with its first year.

There is no fair comparison, Alton Towers' fame in the UK propelled the impact of the incident into the stratosphere. Its popularity will literally be decimated when it reopens. Nonetheless, once it is open a rebuilding process commences but it will take years to recover if it remains named as The Smiler.